one issue solved.....now another

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. Read 1210 times.

hotrod

  • Jr. Member
  • Posts: 40
one issue solved.....now another
« on: 28 Feb 2009, 04:16 pm »
I was measuring continuity and found that with the neg. lead of DMM on grounding post I was measuring continuity on both legs of the drop down resistor(R313) and obviously at the heater pins of the small signal tubes.I cant seem to find a problem but there is obviously one present.
 Does anyone have any ideas on where to look to solve this continuity issue?

hotrod

  • Jr. Member
  • Posts: 40
Re: one issue solved.....now another
« Reply #1 on: 1 Mar 2009, 03:44 am »
 What seemed like an anomaly must be correct since I checked my Coronet 2 which is working beautifully and it has the same continuity.Since them I found I do have a problem with the Dact style attenuator purchased from Hong Kong,the seller is going to send out a new one on Monday free of charge.I cant say too much bad about the guy if he is standing behind his product.
 Not only was the right channel not working when I would use the switches on the Clarinet or touch any part of the chassis I could hear it all through the speakers.I'm hoping a correctly working attenuator will solve all of these issues since my Coronet build went so well the first time through.

tubesforever

  • Full Member
  • Posts: 441
Re: one issue solved.....now another
« Reply #2 on: 1 Mar 2009, 07:51 am »
What issues are you hearing with the piece itself?  On my stepped attenuator the inside posts are the signal, the next posts are the output and the outer posts are the earth ground.

Is this how you have the DACT attenuator connected?

My connections look as follows:

EG    Out     In        In     Out    EG

Hope this helps!


hotrod

  • Jr. Member
  • Posts: 40
Re: one issue solved.....now another
« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2009, 03:50 pm »
After assembling the Clarinet all the test points on the board checked out,I placed in the system and had no right channel.I checked resistance across the input and output of the attenuator(I should have done this before installing) and found that the two tabs next to the input had no reading at all.A wiring diagram was provided by the seller so the issue was not a connection issue,just a subpar soldering job with these tiny SMD resistors.
 Last year I had ordered a similar pair of 100k monos for my Mcalister pre and 1 position on one of the attenuators was faulty and it just happen to be where I would do most of my listening, those were replaced with a pair of Goldpoints.I thought I would give this style one more shot and again was shipped a faulty unit albeit from a different seller.I'm not sure I like that the metal tabs are just pressed into the plastic body but you get what you pay for.
 When the new one arrives I will follow up on any issues that arise.
 Thanks Tubes for contributing to these threads,you saved me alot of headaches so far.