DAC DAC 2 HS - XLR to RCA Converters

groovybassist

DAC DAC 2 HS - XLR to RCA Converters
« on: 3 Jul 2019, 07:31 pm »
Right now I use my DAC DAC 2 HS going into a balanced input (my integrated amp has both single-ended and balanced inputs, but balanced is the recommended connection method).  If I decide to run the DAC DAC 2 into single-ended inputs (via an XLR/RCA adapter), is the output voltage of the balanced DAC DAC 2 going to be much higher than a typical single-ended connection?  My (admittedly very limited) understanding is the balanced connection's voltage is usually twice the single-ended and I'm concerned I'll only get a tiny amount of travel in the volume control if I run the DAC DAC 2 single-ended.

Thanks!

srb

Re: DAC DAC 2 HS - XLR to RCA Converters
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jul 2019, 07:47 pm »
I guess it depends on the specific balanced/single-ended circuitry, but generally because you would be using only 1 signal leg of the balanced pair output you should have half the output voltage.

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2019, 04:03 pm »
Right now I use my DAC DAC 2 HS going into a balanced input (my integrated amp has both single-ended and balanced inputs, but balanced is the recommended connection method).  If I decide to run the DAC DAC 2 into single-ended inputs (via an XLR/RCA adapter), is the output voltage of the balanced DAC DAC 2 going to be much higher than a typical single-ended connection?  My (admittedly very limited) understanding is the balanced connection's voltage is usually twice the single-ended and I'm concerned I'll only get a tiny amount of travel in the volume control if I run the DAC DAC 2 single-ended.

Thanks!
We make custom adapters for this because typical off-the-shelf adapters short the negative side of the double differential DAC DAC outputs, increasing distortion.  Email Support@DigitalAmp.com if you need a pair of our custom DAC DAC RCA adapters.  Thanks for your kind post.

groovybassist

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2019, 09:47 pm »
srb:  Thanks for your response.

Tommy:

Thanks for replying.  When you say increased distortion, do mean it would be audible or would change distortion level from .0005% to.005% (a tenfold increase)?  If audible, how would it manifest?

I’m only asking as I picked up a pair of adapters today from a local company (Moon Audio), which sound fine to me (I admittedly have no idea what happens inside their adapters).

Thanks!

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2019, 10:53 pm »
srb:  Thanks for your response.

Tommy:

Thanks for replying.  When you say increased distortion, do mean it would be audible or would change distortion level from .0005% to.005% (a tenfold increase)?  If audible, how would it manifest?

I’m only asking as I picked up a pair of adapters today from a local company (Moon Audio), which sound fine to me (I admittedly have no idea what happens inside their adapters).

Thanks!
Yes, your guess is pretty close!  I can take a photo of the difference if there are some of the “typical kind” around here....   I’ll look for them.