the Masters

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
the Masters
« on: 5 Apr 2023, 07:41 pm »
So it's that time of year again, magnolias in bloom, and almost time to tee it up. Today's coverage of the Par 3 Contest is a lot of fun. Gary Player just teed off, at 87 still fit, trim, and a classic swing. Freddy Couples finished at -3, and Seamus Powers scored back to back hole-in-ones. Coverage so far has been pretty good with only limited buffering, we'll see how it goes tomorrow & Friday when things get serious. Free streaming with multiple options for viewing at https://www.masters.com/index.html.  

So who are your picks for this years champ ? Once again Scottie Scheffler is playing well, with a good chance to repeat. Rory has been getting his game back on track, just lacking that last little bit to get back in the winner's circle. Sam Burns is looking good, Jordan Spieth is also getting closer. We'll also get to see the LIV tour guys compete, which will arguably make for a better field. Have checked out bits of the last two LIV contests, like the more relaxed atmosphere, don't care for the on-screen presentation of coverage.

Time to settle in for some serious viewing of the most beautiful course on tour imho. Y'all enjoy yourselves, and hit 'em straight.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: the Masters
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2023, 11:13 am »
LIV needs to, and will, die an ignominious death.  There's nothing anyone wants to see there, neither the format which is stupid, nor the rota of mostly has been players.  The players there have no way of getting world ranking points and will eventually be shut out of the majors, Cam Smith is the only top ten golfer on the LIV tour playing in the Masters.  I think LIV would have done a lot better by adopting popular amateur formats like scrambles using best ball and better ball games instead of a dumb team format that no one understands.  But no worries about LIV tour members winning, they're all going home after 54 holes. 🤣

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #2 on: 6 Apr 2023, 03:32 pm »
  Big Golf Fan and player here. Love the Masters. For me the best we have. Will be interesting to see the LIV Tour Players compete. Been watching the LIV. Like it. Everyone has right to earn their living in whatever manner they choose. Good for them. My Son is a Class A PGA member. Not all it is cracked upto bee. Lots of back stabbing for jobs, poor pay and no allegiance per say.

charles

jjss49

« Reply #3 on: 6 Apr 2023, 04:01 pm »
saturday will be quite cold rainy... really good test .. they'll be able to fire at the pins sunday

js1955

« Reply #4 on: 6 Apr 2023, 04:07 pm »
  Big Golf Fan and player here. Love the Masters. For me the best we have. Will be interesting to see the LIV Tour Players compete. Been watching the LIV. Like it. Everyone has right to earn their living in whatever manner they choose. Good for them. My Son is a Class A PGA member. Not all it is cracked upto bee. Lots of back stabbing for jobs, poor pay and no allegiance per say.

charles

When discussing the LIV, Mickelson expressed somewhat similar sentiments about the PGA:

"They've been able to get by with manipulative, coercive, strong-arm tactics because we, the players, had no recourse," Mickelson said of the PGA Tour in February to Alan Shipnuck. "As nice a guy as [PGA Tour commissioner Jay Monahan] comes across as, unless you have leverage, he won't do what's right.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/golf/news/liv-golf-tour-list-mickelson-johnson-dechambeau-pga/rlwprhtsx6uwgq73zq0e7ryc

SoCalWJS

« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2023, 04:39 pm »
LIV needs to, and will, die an ignominious death.  There's nothing anyone wants to see there, neither the format which is stupid, nor the rota of mostly has been players.  The players there have no way of getting world ranking points and will eventually be shut out of the majors, Cam Smith is the only top ten golfer on the LIV tour playing in the Masters.  I think LIV would have done a lot better by adopting popular amateur formats like scrambles using best ball and better ball games instead of a dumb team format that no one understands.  But no worries about LIV tour members winning, they're all going home after 54 holes. 🤣
This.
Don’t mind an Alternative to the PGA.
HATE where the money is coming from. They need to change that before I’ll watch/pay attention.

ArthurDent

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2023, 03:18 pm »
Well, day 1 in the books. Maybe a few surprises, but the cream is starting to rise. If Freddy can make the cut today he'll the oldest player to do so. Haven't seen much comment on Tiger, but it's obviously a heavy strain on his leg given the layout. Weather is supposed to deteriorate as the day goes on, but so far warm & fairly benign. Brooks is taking advantage of his start time, and making some hay early. Rahm has pulled things together, not that surprisingly, we'll see where the weather is when he gets going.

Viktor is playing well, and will likely be in the hunt this weekend. Jason Day's game is coming together as has been indicated by the last few tournaments. Rory still struggling, but maybe not a bad thing if he can build on a slow start & push through to the finish. Kudos to the amateur Sam Bennett, absolutely stellar play in his first appearance. Barring a melt down likely the low amateur regardless of what the weather does, and a long shot to be around at the end.

So who's your favorite to bring it all home at this point ? Morikawa, Burns, Young, still close. Scottie, Jordan, Adam, Xander, Tony, not that far out. The course is playing tough at the moment under pretty good conditions, who can maintain when the wind & rain come in ?

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2023, 03:32 pm »
   The winner is going to be someone who can play in the rain and cold. Tiger is out of that group IMHO. Brooks a Florida Guy maybe. Fun to watch.

charles

BobM

« Reply #8 on: 7 Apr 2023, 08:47 pm »
I've got Koepka, Sheffler and Cam Smith in my pool. So far those seem like solid picks.

jjss49

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2023, 11:25 pm »
koepka is a beast

he has been injured... now he is healthy and one can see how good he is

golfugh

• Dead Can Dance - Into the Labyrinth
« Reply #10 on: 7 Apr 2023, 11:47 pm »

So who’s leading!  BTW cut is after 36 not 54 holes.

I’m not a Brooks fan btw.

I’ve got Jon Rahm as favorite, and Phil Mickelson as a longshot.  Phil for old times sake.

Mark

js1955

« Reply #11 on: 8 Apr 2023, 12:05 am »

It was a tongue-in-cheek joke about the LIV tour.  They only play 54 holes.

golfugh

« Reply #12 on: 8 Apr 2023, 12:07 am »
Not meant for you, but I get it

jjss49

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2023, 03:16 pm »
should be quite a duel down the stretch between brooks and rahm - fun fun fun

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #14 on: 8 Apr 2023, 03:37 pm »

I’m not a Brooks fan btw.

I’ve got Jon Rahm as favorite, and Phil Mickelson as a longshot.  Phil for old times sake.

Mark

The joke for the uniformed is that LIV "tournaments" are only 54 holes.  I have no problem with competition, I do have major problems with who's funding that organization.  It's blood money.  However we must recognize the PGA left the door open for this by treating the players like well paid indentured servants rather than partners.

The luck of the draw reared its head with late/early field being +18 and the early/late field shooting +88.   Rahm was the only leading player who was able to hold his own during the weather and will be in the final group two strokes behind, if they get the third round started today.  It appears Tiger made the cut, but with the obvious pain he's in with every step I almost wish he didn't.  I wouldn't be surprised if he withdraws as he's far from being in contention.  The biggest story is Bennett, the amateur in third place.  He has his dad's dying words tattooed on his arm, something like Don't wait to do something special.  As these things go at Augusta the long shots almost always fade away, but there was Larry Mize.  Lastly old man Freddy Couples made the cut at 63, he's ageless.

ArthurDent

« Reply #15 on: 8 Apr 2023, 03:50 pm »
Well, round two in the books, and a weather challenged finish it was. So with rain, and 46 degrees (weather that we in the PNW are well familiar with) who has the game to make a move today ? Brooks has built a needed lead, Rahm has clawed his way back into play, again, Sam Bennett the amateur has maintained his excellent play. It will be interesting to see how Sam handles being in the last group with Brooks & Rahm. Given he's played with Scottie the first two days, I don't see any indications of being 'star struck' coming into play. Just a guess but I'd say depending on how those two handle conditions anyone back to -6, maybe even -4 has a shot if they get hot. Things can turn very quickly at Augusta.

Big shout out to Freddy for us old guys ! Oldest to ever make the cut. Give 'em hell today, the weather could prove an equalizer for many. Good on Tiger for making the cut, many very good players with fewer physical issues didn't accomplish that. Where did Rory's game go ? He's undoubtedly thinking the same thing. So will Colin, Jason, Viktor, Sam Burns make a run, going to be fun to watch. With similar temps today, minus the rain, with gray skies, settling in for a good days viewing.

And re: the Liv, points well spoken.

golfugh

« Reply #16 on: 8 Apr 2023, 04:22 pm »
Not uniformed just missed the joke.  Agree on LIV/PGA tour point!

rodge827

« Reply #17 on: 9 Apr 2023, 11:46 am »
Third round resuming today at 8:30 EST. The weather looks good 0% chance of rain with some wind.
The big cat has withdrawn! Although he deserves to play I wonder if he should have teed it up anyway?
Keopka by 4 with a hard charging Rahm and how about Bennet?
Should be fun to watch!

rodge827

« Reply #18 on: 9 Apr 2023, 04:22 pm »
So it’s set up for a Keopka Rahm showdown or can Hovland be the spoiler? Guess we’ll find out later today!
Enjoy the round and Happy Easter!

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #19 on: 10 Apr 2023, 01:49 am »
Great to see Jon win the green jacket.  Almost like my joke was prescient, Keopka fell apart after 54 holes.  Rahm played steady, did everything he needed to do for the win, but he didn't set the world on fire.  It was definitely Brooks lost the tournament more than Rahm won it.  Heartwarming to see Bennett's reception on all the holes, but 18 in particular.  Mickelson threw in that 65 surprise to let us all know he's not yet dead, despite the rumors to the contrary.