My Orpheus Speakers

rbbert

Re: My Orpheus Speakers
« Reply #20 on: 17 Aug 2017, 01:38 pm »
I understand that you are enthusiastic about these cables, and they are inexpensive and therefore involve little risk to try; I'm just saying that what is written in the links you posted doesn't inspire me to even give them a try (which does involve a fair amount of effort even if not much money).

advanced101

« Reply #21 on: 13 Sep 2019, 12:53 am »

advanced101

« Reply #22 on: 13 Sep 2019, 12:55 am »
Daedalus Bow Subwoofers have been added.  They are in the upgraded Claro finish.  The finish looks great but really makes me appreciate the Orpheus.  Probably better that the subs are a little understated since the main piece should be the speakers.

Running them with the Parasound 2250v2, you can see the crossover on top of the Amp, on the floor.  Stillpoints Ultra SS on the subs and Orpheus.  Using Audio Sensibility cabling for the subs, Wywires on the mains.

Breaking them in for a while before I fully set them up.  Had some fun with Brothers in Arms, they definitely create quite the foundation.  Feels like my speakers got twice as big.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #23 on: 13 Sep 2019, 02:31 am »
Nice setup, beautiful speakers advanced101. Lou's work is special, nice addition with the Bows.  8)

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #24 on: 13 Sep 2019, 03:26 pm »
Congrats on the Bow upgrade!

I'm curious about something in your photo. It appears that the floor is a floating wood floor. Is my assumption correct?  Prior to adding the Stillpoints Ultra SS, had you experienced a lot of vibration in the floor? If so, please describe the before and after differences in floor vibration and speaker sounds.

I ask this because my Apollos are on a carpeted floating wood floor that vibrates even at moderate volume levels. I'm using the spikes that Lou supplied.

Regards,

Michael

charmerci

« Reply #25 on: 13 Sep 2019, 04:01 pm »

I ask this because my Apollos are on a carpeted floating wood floor that vibrates even at moderate volume levels. I'm using the spikes that Lou supplied.

Regards,

Michael

:nono:   No way - you need to isolate those speakers. Sorbothane (or whatever) is needed in your case!

advanced101

« Reply #26 on: 13 Sep 2019, 04:17 pm »
The wood flooring in the front of my room is reclaimed maple pulled from an old warehouse, 3/4”. I have more to finish out the room, plan to do that in the spring.
The floor isn’t actually floating but heavily anchored via nails to the sub-floor with a layer of thin acoustic mat between. It is quite dead, not concrete dead, but solid.
Stillpoints are a unique animal. I don’t consider them isolation devices, rather energy communication devices. You really have to experiment in your specific application(s). For me, the Stillpoints don’t completely isolate the speakers but the resulting communication with my flooring is to my preference. There are better ways to isolate speakers from floors, the Symposium platforms do a good job in my experience.

A_shah

« Reply #27 on: 14 Sep 2019, 11:11 pm »

I'm curious about something in your photo. It appears that the floor is a floating wood floor. Is my assumption correct?  Prior to adding the Stillpoints Ultra SS, had you experienced a lot of vibration in the floor? If so, please describe the before and after differences in floor vibration and speaker sounds.

Regards,

Michael

Michael
have tried Lou speaker stands for your Apollo's , Although I have concrete  under the engineered cherry wood flooring , yes they did put some of pinkish looking sheets over the concrete and than the flooring I decided to order speaker stands from Lou and in order to protect the floor Herbies Cone/Spike decoupling gliders , have no vibration at all but also found the sound improved
Asghar

A_shah

« Reply #28 on: 14 Sep 2019, 11:15 pm »
The Bows and the Orpheus Speakers look stunning I believe they are one of the kind Speakers from Daedalus :thumb:

Asghar

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #29 on: 15 Sep 2019, 04:34 am »

Michael
have tried Lou speaker stands for your Apollo's , Although I have concrete  under the engineered cherry wood flooring , yes they did put some of pinkish looking sheets over the concrete and than the flooring I decided to order speaker stands from Lou and in order to protect the floor Herbies Cone/Spike decoupling gliders , have no vibration at all but also found the sound improved
Asghar

Thanks, Ashgar. I'm considering a few possibilities. I may first try inexpensive bamboo slabs or granite under each speaker. Isoaoustic Gaias may be in my future, too.

P.S. I sent you an email a couple nights ago. If you haven't seen it, it may have been shunted to spam(?).

Michael

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #30 on: 15 Sep 2019, 06:26 pm »
Couple of notes on spikes etc....
There are many opinions as to what goes under a speaker. I am not a fan of sorbothane etc under any audio component, especially electronics. Under speakers it can be ok but it usually seems to dampen dynamics and shrink the stage. Isolation that has bearings etc I also do NOT find to work well under speakers. Platforms can work well and obviously well made spikes help. Our "isolation devices" for speakers tend to take what spikes do to the next step, while they don't truly isolate the speakers from the floor they also do not inhibit dynamics etc as most "isolating" devices do. Our spikes are quite possibly the very best in the industry and I strongly recommend them. Whether adding platforms, gliders, our Speaker DiDs etc to them should be decided on a case by case basis. You really have to experiment to find what works with your room and floor etc.
btw Our Speaker DiDs work well on hard floors and also carpets, though usually not on carpet when there is a thick pad. The caveat is that there are many exceptions, I have heard them make a transformative improvement on carpet with a fairly thick pad and other times be of no real benefit.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #31 on: 15 Sep 2019, 06:31 pm »
The Bows and the Orpheus Speakers look stunning I believe they are one of the kind Speakers from Daedalus :thumb:

Asghar

Thanks!  The wood in that set of Orpheus was really one of a kind. I actually have a stunning 12 string guitar that was build from that batch!
The pictures don't really do justice though to the BOW, they are also extremely beautiful. The baffles are a bit more plain but the sides and tops are gorgeous. Unfortunately we had some camera issues so I couldn't get really good pics before we shipped. :cry: I did take a few with my phone and I'll see if any are worth posting.
In any case thanks to everyone for the kind words and appreciation. We do try to make every pair uniquely beautiful.

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #32 on: 15 Sep 2019, 06:37 pm »

advanced101

« Reply #33 on: 21 Sep 2019, 06:03 pm »
The subwoofers are indeed better looking than I can photograph.

I have had them for a couple weeks now and tuned in.  The Parasound Amp matches up perfectly and has some important adjustments for me.  Particularly the gain (the crossover has an attenuator of its own), that is very fine in adjustment.  There is also a high pass filter option of 20 & 40 Hz, useful if your Turntable has a little rumble.  Final placement is directly adjacent to the main speakers, maybe 0.5" between them and 0.5" in front.  I anticipated the close setup of the Towers vs. Subs and had removed the outriggers for the Orpheus and installed Stillpoints Ultra Bases for Stability. 

In terms of level, I had to go through a few discs but mainly relied on the lessons I learned from Master Set speaker positioning guidelines.  The subs blend perfectly with the towers.

The setup sounds great.  One of my favorite speakers is the Sonus Faber Aida.  I always though that Orpheus sounded very similar, just couldn't quite reach as low.  With the Orpheus + BOW, I believe it is better.  Just a ton of presence, weight and excitement all with the naturalness that Daedalus is known for.  Just finished listening to one of my favorite albums, The Final Cut.  This is the best I have heard it, just amazing.

In a couple years Ill send the Orpheus back for the new tweeters and trim rings, no rush, sounds great right now.

Here is a picture of the Crossover and the Parasound.  Need to order a matching Walnut platform:

One of the things that makes the Orpheus unique: rear ambience drivers:

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
« Reply #34 on: 25 Sep 2019, 08:00 pm »
I would be careful about having the crossover directly on top of the amp. You may at least want to put some spacers between them so the amp does not overheat?
I'll bet your system does sound great! It is cool the way these subs by completing the foundation in a subtle way tend to improve the whole sound. :thumb:

advanced101

« Reply #35 on: 20 Dec 2020, 08:05 pm »
It has been a fun few years with the Orpheus but they are all packed up and ready for their next Owner.  I am hand delivering tomorrow. 

I gave my current set of Wywires Silver speaker cables to the new owner but in the meantime I purchased a set of the Wywires/ Daedalus SE Speaker cables for my incoming Zeus.  I spent a week listening to them on the Orpheus, yea, really wished I bought them a few years ago with the speakers  :duh:.  Took the bass to another level and everything seemed much more natural. 

rbbert

« Reply #36 on: 22 Dec 2020, 03:28 pm »
You will have to change the title of this thread to "My Zeus Speakers", or start a new one?   :thumb:

A_shah

« Reply #37 on: 23 Dec 2020, 01:33 am »
Congratulations ! looking forward to your review on the Zeus Speakers you probably have a prefect room for those speakers ! Ialso own  2 pairs of Wywire Diamond interconnects and a set of Daedalus speaker cables  hardly notice them in my system!  :thumb:

Asghar

advanced101

« Reply #38 on: 23 Dec 2020, 02:06 pm »
I will have to make a new Zeus thread.

As for cables, it is inevitable moving to the Diamond series but I have other fish to fry first.  I have all Platinum and liked mixing in one Audience Front Row.

Not sure what else I am going to work on this year.  I may be adding a new Step up Transformer or amp for the Zeus.

Jarbs

« Reply #39 on: 23 Dec 2020, 05:57 pm »
Will you be running the Zeus with the BOW’s?