Tim Tran's HT3's

jsalk

Tim Tran's HT3's
« on: 3 Dec 2005, 12:25 pm »
For those interested, here are some pics of Tim Tran's HT3's done in curly maple with a custom aniline dye.

Time requested no front baffle and separate grills (not shown) for the woofer and midrange/tweeter sections of the cabinet.

Here is a close-up of the corner detail.

- Jim

MaxCast

Tim Tran's HT3's
« Reply #1 on: 3 Dec 2005, 01:30 pm »
Jim/Tim, sure would like to see a shot with the grills on.  This may be a nice option for homes with more than 10 fingers.

jsalk

Tim Tran's HT3's
« Reply #2 on: 3 Dec 2005, 02:29 pm »
MaxCast -

I was in such a hurry to pack and ship them, I did not get a chance to take pictures with the grills on (I actually tried but the light was too bad the day I packed them).

Perhaps Tim could take some shots.

- Jim

jermmd

Tim Tran's HT3's
« Reply #3 on: 3 Dec 2005, 04:25 pm »
Beautiful speakers. The wood grain reminds me alittle bit of my own (Japanese Tamo Ash).

jsalk

Tim Tran's HT3's
« Reply #4 on: 3 Dec 2005, 06:06 pm »
jermmd-

Quote from: jermmd
Beautiful speakers. The wood grain reminds me alittle bit of my own (Japanese Tamo Ash).

The figuring pattern is different, but the effect is very similar.

- Jim

brj

Tim Tran's HT3's
« Reply #5 on: 3 Dec 2005, 11:27 pm »
Very nice!

For those of us less versed in woodworking... what is the benefit of dye over stain (assuming that the color you desire is available in both products)?

Thanks!

jsalk

Tim Tran's HT3's
« Reply #6 on: 4 Dec 2005, 12:37 am »
brj -
Quote from: brj
Very nice!

For those of us less versed in woodworking... what is the benefit of dye over stain (assuming that the color you desire is available in both products)?

Stains color the wood through the use of pigments.  You are actually applying a thin layer of pigment over the wood.  

Dyes, like aniline dye, are transparent (transluscent) and they actually color the wood fiber itself.

So if you like to see all the detail the wood has to offer, dyes are superior.

I hope that makes sense.

- Jim

brj

Tim Tran's HT3's
« Reply #7 on: 4 Dec 2005, 12:54 am »
Yep, thank you!