Nirvana's "Nevermind" in hi-rez from HDtracks - anybody try it?

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=HD00602527805641

Pretty much looking for feedback before plunking down my money.

I loved this album in college and hope that the 24-96 re-master is a step up from the redbook version.

George

ted_b

• Facilitator
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
George, I'll keep on eye on the other forums too.  Sucks you can't buy one song.

Pez

hmm I think I'll wait to see what everyone else thinks before I pull the trigger.  :lol:

zybar

• Volunteer
hmm I think I'll wait to see what everyone else thinks before I pull the trigger.  :lol:

C'mon Pez, you have no reason to be gun-shy.   :wink:

George

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Ok, it is downloading now! 

zybar

• Volunteer
Ok, it is downloading now!

Thanks for taking the plunge Hal.  I look forward to your comments.

Hopefully you did it by using the 20% off coupon that became available today.

George

HAL

• Industry Contributor
No, I did not get the coupon.

Oh well.

ted_b

• Facilitator
Chris at CA did one track already.  Looks very promising so far (but the waveform is quite loud!!).

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Nirvana-Nevermind-Remaster-2496

Not everyone is excited.  The recording community on gearlsutz say it is CRUSHED to death (not necessarily the HDTracks download, but Chris's HDtracks waveform example is mighty mighty loud!! Wow!)
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/mastering-forum/652671-nevermind-20th-anniversary-edition.html

HAL

• Industry Contributor
Guy's,
The remastering sounds very good here.   I need to compare it to my MSFL version of the CD as another step.  :D

I would try looking at the track "Something in the Way" as a comparison to the other tracks.  That is a more acoustic track than the rest. 

Pez

Has anyone compared it to the 2002 release of the remaster Nirvana album? It's the album just titled 'Nirvana' and its pretty much the best sound quality I have heard for their music.

album cover looks like this:

kingdeezie

Has anyone compared it to the 2002 release of the remaster Nirvana album? It's the album just titled 'Nirvana' and its pretty much the best sound quality I have heard for their music.

I actually have that album. I am thinking about picking up the HDtracks album, if I do, I will let you know.

Pez

Much appreciated.  :thumb:

Pez

Anything new to report on this one?

guest4954

I have read somewhere that the DR was pretty low of the HD mix/master.
Lower then norm for a good rock album and much lower then on Vinyl

No experience yet myself.

Michiel

ted_b

• Facilitator
My link thread has been pretty active.  The DR is lower than the MFSl version, for example.  The 2496 is crushed, but I analyzed and no clipping.  The sound is pretty darn good, just loud of course....but then again it's rock and roll.

zybar

• Volunteer
I will do a comparison this weekend between the standard cd, HDtracks 24-96 download, and the MSFL cd.

Just bear with me as it will need to happen between the kids soccer, MLB playoffs, NFL, etc...

George

Pez

My biggest concern is that it is not true to the original. Is this THE Nevermind or some sort of lame ass remix.

ted_b

• Facilitator
My biggest concern is that it is not true to the original. Is this THE Nevermind or some sort of lame ass remix.

It's not a remix or anything approaching your Flaiming Lips or Natalie Merchant issues (which were both caused by being DVD-Audio-based).  Lots of folks like the MFSL better, due to better dynamics and air.  The 2496 is loud, punchy and not at all against what this album should sound like....intelligent grunge.

limits

Hi All:

I downloaded it last night, but have not had a chance to listen to it yet. I do have a question for you regular HD Tracks users--Are the download speeds slower right now than what you normally experience? The last download from this site I did a month or so ago seemed a lot faster...

Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this (and for other suggestions in the hi-rez circle). A well done 24 bit recording is magical to me, regardless of the sample rate. I have a few Phish shows at 24/48 that are very good (from their site). Can't wait to check this one out...

limits

macrojack

• Restricted
Isn't there an inherent contradiction between hi-rez and grunge?

To me it sounds like having a clear view of the fog.