Spatial M3 Turbo S, layperson first impressions

5acres

Re: Spatial M3 Turbo S, layperson first impressions
« Reply #20 on: 28 Jan 2017, 10:28 pm »
I believe only the Turbo S versions have the upgraded WBT nextgen binding posts...
I could be wrong but I think they both have the WBT posts.

Yes, mine say turbo s on the speaker.

:thumb: That makes it easy then. Thank-you both for your replies.

harley.guy07

« Reply #21 on: 1 Feb 2017, 05:14 am »
You are correct that they both have WBT posts but the Turbo S has both the full crossovers upgrades and the new tweeter which form what I understand make a huge different. From my ownership of the Turbo S models for about 7 months I had two things to get through in order to get the most out of these speakers. 1: break in on the M3's are a very long time(150 - 200 hours) to fully get them to be their best in my opinion, 2: since they basically use the room as the enclosure even a half inch of adjustment in any direction tow in included can make a huge difference in the end results. And I would wait until full break in before making the final adjustments to where they end up as that can change when the 15" drivers start to break in and loosen up. Mine are about 3' from the wall towed in just a bit and they are the best I have found so far. I run them with a Pass Labs X150.5 and the sound combination is the best I have heard frankly. It gives the combination of the "Live" feel and energy while having the Detail that is on par or better then the Dynaudio speakers before them. I think the lack of bass that some have talked about is the fact that we are so used to Box speaker bass in our systems that they seem bass less by comparison but to me they are really just making a more natural bass energy. I do run a sealed sub with them to catch the lowest stuff that they don't do but have run them without several times.

SFDude

« Reply #22 on: 3 Feb 2017, 04:19 am »
It gives the combination of the "Live" feel and energy while having the Detail that is on par or better then the Dynaudio speakers before them. I think the lack of bass that some have talked about is the fact that we are so used to Box speaker bass in our systems that they seem bass less by comparison but to me they are really just making a more natural bass energy. I do run a sealed sub with them to catch the lowest stuff that they don't do but have run them without several times.

Follows my similar impressions. I think the energy of the lower end from the M3 Turbo S speakers can easily be felt and match box speakers. They don't have that bottom depth that really kicks you in the nuts but for most music I listen to, they don't need it.

-dave

harley.guy07

« Reply #23 on: 4 Feb 2017, 10:50 pm »
Yeah I agree. From years of being a bass player I tend to like the way the M3's sound with bass instruments. I can more easily tell what kind of bass is being played and it just sounds more natural to me.

lousyreeds1

« Reply #24 on: 5 Feb 2017, 11:20 pm »
I got to hear the Spatial M3 recently and thought I'd add my voice to the chorus.  There were wonderful things happening.  Compared to my current single-driver Omega Super 6 XRS, there was a notable increase in tonal richness, far better rendering of venue space, deeper and better bass, and total lack of congestion even with the most complex music.  Also compared to my current speakers, though, I was less than blown away by image size (the Spatial seemed larger than life) and specificity.  On the balance I could easily live with that tradeoff, but interestingly, my wife wasn't a huge fan in comparison to what we have.  All of this was through a low-watt SET amp. 

I wonder if using something like the Red Dragon monos, as Spatial often does at shows, would be a better match and tighten images up a bit without taking too much away from that tone density and sense of space?  I'm also willing to admit that my standards for image precision might also be unreasonably "hifi" and less reflective of real music.  And in terms of image size, perhaps more position fiddling would have solved that.  Interested to hear from people with experience using these on a wide range of amps.

Whitestix

« Reply #25 on: 6 Feb 2017, 12:17 am »
I haven't heard the venerable Dunleavy's, but I do have the the M4 Turbo S speakers and after rotating a dozen speakers through my system in the part few years, these are absolutely the best I have had in my room.  I got the M4's as they are more room appropriate for me -- they are a bit less than a meter from the back wall and don't seem to be the least bit placement sensitive.  To my ears in my room, they benefit greatly with sound absorption on the rear wall.

I was driving them with a Dennis Had EL84 amp and the sound was wonderful with a Don Sachs 6NS7 preamp, but I felt like the speakers were under controlled and lacked extension in the HF.   I swapped a McCormack DNA .05 ss amp for the tube amp, and it is a match made in heaven.  It has good LF extension, a sublime mid-range and outstanding HF extension, and a huge soundstage.  The articulation of bass notes and drum beats is unrivaled compared to any speakers I have had.  Frankly, I would not be as pleased with the M4's without the addition of a REL T7 subwoofer.  The LF response added by the sub completely rounds out the sound.  I am complete a devotee of Clayton's speakers, but feel they sound their best with a muscular amp and a subwoofer, however, the M3's may not benefit as much from a sub as do the leaner M4's. I talked to Clayton recently and am delighted to hear that his speakers sales are proceeding at a robust clip and I know why.  I read a recent post elsewhere that referred to his modestly priced speakers as entry level speakers.  I will grant they are in the sense of pricing, but in my 45 years as an audiophile, these are easily the best speakers I have owned and, OMG, I have had some very pricey speakers over the years. 

erniek

« Reply #26 on: 7 Feb 2017, 01:50 am »
I completely agree with Whitestix's impressions. I too have the M4 Turbo S and use mine with a REL T7. I went to Axpona looking to purchase the M3's but after talking to Clayton about the use of the subwoofer he suggested I get the M4's instead and it has been as good as I expected in my 20 x 16 room. I speakers sound best a least 30 inches out from the rear wall in my setup and about 8 feet apart. I have had these 9 months and am stilled surprised how good they sound every time I listen to them. My only minor quip is that the high end isn't as detailed with some music. I am thinking of the addition of a super tweeter but with the overall sound I get with these I may just leave well enough alone. They are such a relaxed sounding speaker that as I listen I forget about the few minor shortcomings they may have. Many thanks to Clayton for producing such an affordable great product.

erniek

« Reply #27 on: 7 Feb 2017, 01:53 am »
Forgot to mention I power these with an Odyssey Khartago and Candela pre.

harley.guy07

« Reply #28 on: 10 Feb 2017, 05:14 am »
I bet the Odyssey Khartago is a pretty good match for the Spatials as I heard the Odyssey amplifiers and liked them even almost bought one myself before finding my Pass Labs X150.5 for a killer price I just couldn't "pass" up. I really like how Odyssey gives you a lot for the money though. I also would like to hear the Red Dragon Audio S500 amp that runs the Pascal Amp modules. I have heard great things about them and the Pascal class d modules are supposed to be some of the best.

2bigears

« Reply #29 on: 10 Feb 2017, 07:21 am »
 :D Pascal amps .  I need to buy .  That's my name .   Ha  :D

lousyreeds1

« Reply #30 on: 14 Feb 2017, 11:11 pm »
Anyone tried the Rogue Hydra/Medusa class D amps with the Spatials?  They use Hypex modules.  In theory this could be a great match.