Favorite Speakers For NuForce

audiophile39

« on: 30 Dec 2005, 03:04 pm »
I'm interested in learning what are your favorite speakers for NuForce amplifiers.  I'm considering some of the less-known speaker makers, such as SP and ACI, and wonder what real-life experiences you have with speakers.  Thanks.

KJ

« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2005, 05:14 pm »
What qualities are you looking for in a speaker?  Is there a price range you are looking to stay within?  There are a ton of options out there.

I haven't heard the SP Tech speakers with Nuforce, but I will be able to audition them next week at CES since Nuforce is using them in their booth.  I'll report my thoughts then, but both have been working together for a while now.

ACI is another great manufacturer worth looking into, although I haven't heard them in person with the Nuforce amps.  Perhaps Mike can chime in.  I've done some extensive listening with Usher Audio and Nuforce amps which are another great sounding combo.

Maybe if you can give a few more specifics we can help you narrow things down a bit, but as always auditioning them is best.

-KJ

audiophile39

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2005, 05:18 pm »
Hi, thanks.  My budget for speakers is around $5K and what appeals to me is accuracy, transparency, and neutrality.  I listen mostly to jazz and rock, but not a very loud volume.  I do like bass response, but not artificially boosted bass.

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2005, 08:52 pm »
Have heard the NuFORCE in good auditions with the:

SP Continuums

Avalon Eidelons

VMPS RM30

They sounded excellent with all them.  Dynamics, and individual imaging was superb.  Bass was also exemplary.

The SP audition was "biamped" with two pair of Ref 8's and the others were powered by Ref 9s.

I heard all three with several of my "Reference Cuts" and while the speakers, rooms, and much of the system was different, many of the sonic qualities I've come to equate to the NuFORCE, were evident.

audiophile39

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2005, 09:05 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.  If I can feel comfortable that NuForce has gotten most of the kinks out of their amps, I might keep them on my short list.  I also am impressed with Belles amps.

ndeslions

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jan 2006, 08:53 am »
Quote from: audiophile39
Hi, thanks.  My budget for speakers is around $5K and what appeals to me is accuracy, transparency, and neutrality.  I listen mostly to jazz and rock, but not a very loud volume.  I do like bass response, but not artificially boosted bass.

You should try the Hyperion 938, very good match with the Nuforce.

beachbum

• Vinyl Delivers all of the Music
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2006, 03:41 pm »
my nuforce p-8 ref 9 combo is sounding really sweet with my tyler linbrook system one piece, it hard to beleive how such a large speaker can totaly dissapear, and throw up such a large sound stage, my p8 is just about broke in now, and the longer i listen, the music is getting more lively top to bottom,

Occam

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2006, 04:51 pm »
I can't speak specifically to speakers powered by the nu-force amps, but given your preferences, you might consider a pair of used Alon IVs.

I've had my pair going on 17years, and haven't heard anything yet that compels me to desire a change.
Basically - 12" acoustic suspension woofer,  5" alnico vifa 'trilaminate' (coated paper) dipole midrange, and a lovely 1" aluminum dome Seas tweeter, capable of FULL range reproduction.

In spite of the fact that they were over the top favorites of both Stereophile and Absolute Sound, they really are great speakers. Top to bottom cohesiveness, imaging and soundstaged with the very best, and unlike many speakers, they sound wonderful at lower volumes.

Alon Vs are even better, and actually a bit smaller and more manageable. They usually available @ $200-300 more than used IVs.

Caveats -

These are large, heavy speakers, 120lbs each, and its best to buy them locally.
The woofers have foam surrounds which deteriorate with age 9-11 yrs. I just had my woofer re-foamed by Millersound, and frankly, they're better than new. For $140 Millersound refoamed, coated the uncoated paper cone, dampened the chassis with dynamat extreme, and dynamically balanced the cone so its stays centered in the gap even under extreme excursions. I'd thought the Alons wonderful before, but Millersound made them substantially better. Those prices are for the pair of woofers. Leaving out those (IMO, very beneficial) tweaks, the refoaming and coating alone for the pair is just $70.

If you're in the NYC area, you're welcome to stop by and listen to mine. There is a pair available locally -
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1139058437
in rosewood, same as mine, and it includes (I think) some great Black Orpheus tri-wire speaker cable. No takers, so I'd think you could lowball.

These were $4,000 speakers in 1990, and would probably be $8,000+ today. Alon is now a new company, Nola, and sadly those rave reviews are no longer on the website.

FWIW

miklorsmith

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2006, 05:41 pm »
Just one man's opinion - I'd find speakers you like, then figure out what you need to drive them.  Even within the NuForce line, there are different models and outputs - more-efficient speakers would allow you to get a smaller amp and save some dough.  If you decide on a speaker with a tough load, you'll want as much current as you can get.

Speakers will influence your sound much more than the amp.  If you find some that enchant you, getting the amp right is the cherry on the sundae.

Mike Dzurko

• Industry Participant
Re: Favorite Speakers For NuForce
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2006, 08:30 pm »
Quote from: audiophile39
I'm interested in learning what are your favorite speakers for NuForce amplifiers.  I'm considering some of the less-known speaker makers, such as SP and ACI, and wonder what real-life experiences you have with speakers.  Thanks.

"less well known"  a shot to the heart  :lol: Man, 29 years, and not everyone knows us . . . . anyway . . . . Joe at Jamn' Audio has our Sapphire XLs and the NuForce amps. Joe really knows his stuff . . . he'd be a good guy to talk to. Email me if you need contact info.

jimmyp58

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2006, 08:35 pm »
They sound awesome with Usher as well.

rustydoglim

• Industry Contributor
    • www.nuprimeaudio.com
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2006, 10:36 pm »
I have to concede that even though we'll like to claim that we have the best sounding room at CES 2006, SP Tech's room at T.H.E Show is slightly better.  Bob was planning to use NuForce amp but the shipping got misplaced and he has to use a back up amp.

Unfortunately SP does not have the marketing power to promote their speakers. Jim Merod stopped by SP's room (after he listened to a prototype speaker that SP custom made for NuForce at our room in Alexis Park) and came to tears twice while listening to his own recording.

claud

« Reply #12 on: 13 Jan 2006, 03:37 am »
I use Merlin TSM-MM which are the latest version. Bobby who owns Merlin told me he did not think they would sound good with NuForce or other digital amps with high damping factor. My hearing must be bad because they sound great. He's pretty much a tube amp guy. He may never have heard the bass slam the Nuforce /Merlin combo puts out.

musicfirst

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:34 am »
Yep I have to agree with Casey.  SP Speakers are really onto something with their waveguide technology speaker designs.  The pair that was used with the Nuforce IA-7 in the small two channel system setup in the Nuforce HT room was simply amazing.

Kerry Legeard

Music First Distribution

audiophile39

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2006, 01:16 pm »
Call me cynical, but I'm always skeptical when I hear that a reviewer is brought to tears by an audio component.  Jim Merod was also teary eyed when he breathlessly reviewed the Tetra speakers...

http://www.onsoundandmusic.com/index.html?http://www.onsoundandmusic.com/issues/0306/0306-tetra.html&2

JAMn Joe

• Industry Participant
    • http://www.jamnaudio.com
« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2006, 05:48 pm »
Audiophile39,

I have both SP Tech and ACI speakers in my showroom. The NuForce amplifers work very well with both speakers.

As to your being skeptical about a reviewers tears, people react to music differntly. How many times do you see people come to tears at a great opera while at the same time others seem to have straight faces. Only the person listening knows for sure how the music touched them and what the emotional impact of the performance meant to them.

Music can touch and effect people in ways that few other mediums can. It connects with our head and if you're a lover of music it can also connect with your soul. It can make us laugh and smile, it can make one cry, it drives some people to dance. It makes your toe tap. My guess is that there are many speakers that given the right equipment, the right environment and the right music with somebody who connects emotionally with music, could easily come to tears when playing the right pieces that consistently arrouse their emotion to that degree.

I will tell you that while I don't cry listening to SP Technology speakers, there are certain pieces of music I can play that consistently will provide the goose bump factor. Mind you now it's not every recording heard, but with those few special ones, the music does connect at a different level that effects your senses as well as your ears.

The ACI Sapphires are also very remarkable speakers. It becomes difficult to understand why many higher priced speakers can't provide the performance that these small gems do.

As a dealer I'm going to leave it at that. Everyone know a dealers comments are biased, even if they are the truth...

Feel free to call me if you have any questions and best of luck with your quest for for new speakers.

Roy S

Hyperion 938
« Reply #16 on: 15 Jan 2006, 03:56 pm »
Just got a pair of Ref 9s to replace my old Krell; and I thought the Krell had balls. The 9s have more balls and a lot of finnese to add!