Diana Krall Live in Paris

mcgsxr

Re: Diana Krall Live in Paris
« Reply #40 on: 30 Apr 2014, 01:06 pm »
I enjoy much of Diana's work, but go through phases of how often it makes a playlist these days.

I find most of her work very well recorded, and always have 1 track on any reference cd I build up to go listen to gear with.

Over Xmas, my daughters were really enjoying her Xmas album, especially the Jingle Bells song. 

The line where she exclaims "I'm just crazy 'bout horses" describes them perfectly!

rockadanny

« Reply #41 on: 30 Apr 2014, 02:58 pm »
"Live in Paris" - Terrific music and decently recorded.  :thumb:

I also very much enjoy her "Girl in the Other Room" and "All for You: A Dedication to the Nat King Cole Trio". I have had a few of her other CDs but dumped them (I only keep CDs which I really enjoy). To me, she is terrific on these three alone, and mediocre/boring on the others I've heard, including "Live in Rio" DVD. Except for a few cuts I did not feel this DVD was worth owning.

Her range of talent seems limited to me, although when she is in her wheelhouse she is very enjoyable. Not sure if I'd venture out to see her live (after being disappointed with Rio), but if she agreed to play in my home I'd certainly not turn her down :lol: . And I too would love to hear another collaboration with her hubby. This is all my own personal opinion/taste of course.

terry parr

« Reply #42 on: 1 May 2014, 03:05 am »
to Jazzman53:  never meant to hijack the thread, man.  this just turned into a "conversation within a conversation."

to airhead:     you can go to patricia barber's website and click on "talk" where she has some comments about the show at the logan center.
                       with the contemporary classical program sharing the bill with her, it would've been an interesting concert to catch.
                       i do appreciate the sound of vinyl, but i just don't have the space (or the money, either) for everything that i would need to
                       set up a good system. if you're a vinyl fan, and you say you're getting a good sound, i believe you.  you're preaching to the
                       choir.   8)  i've heard some good set-ups.  it's just not practical for me, right now.

terry parr

« Reply #43 on: 1 May 2014, 03:47 am »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4hPii_RVHE&feature=player_detailpage

anybody here ever make a call to somebody you regretted letting go, and found out she had "moved on?"

the strings on this tune seem so well integrated and an intrinsic part of the song.  (not like on a lot of recordings, where the strings sound like they were an after-thought).

the tempo of this song is just about perfect, considering the subject matter.  the music "breathes", and gives you time to really take in the different musical elements. and gives you time to think about how she's interpreting the lyrics.

the rhythm.  it isn't exact, or precise (like a metronome).  the rhythm has a gentle "push-pull" effect.  you feel it.

the understated playing.  nobody's showing off their "chops."  although it's obvious we're listening to accomplished musicians here who "have skill."  everybody's interpreting and contributing to the overall whole of the song.

notice how the drummer puts down the brushes and goes for the sticks at about 4:18 in the clip? this adds to the impact of this part of the tune.

the ending.  where everybody "takes it down" to close out the song.

sometimes, it's not about what you play, but what you don't play.  anthony wilson could've certainly fit in more notes, and "played more", but it wouldn't have been appropriate.  not here.

great rendition of this tune.