Salk speakers and coupling spikes

Jeff in the D

Salk speakers and coupling spikes
« on: 29 Jun 2017, 11:01 am »
I have a pair of speakers nearing completion. They normally come with spikes. But, the room they are slated to go into has traditional oak flooring. My dilemma is protect the floor and be able to easily move the speakers around. I have looked around on the Net and found Herbies. Soundscape 8's are a bit heavy but it would seem they have several products that might do. Does anyone here have any experience with Herbies cone/spike decoupling gliders they would care to share or another product that might serve my need?
Thanks in advance, Jeff

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
Re: Salk speakers and coupling spikes
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2017, 03:24 pm »
Jeff Herbies gliders just may be the answer.

charles

R Swerdlow

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jun 2017, 03:25 pm »
I have a pair of speakers nearing completion. They normally come with spikes. But, the room they are slated to go into has traditional oak flooring. My dilemma is protect the floor and be able to easily move the speakers around.
SoundScape 8 speakers are wonderful.  Enjoy!

I have an inherent distrust of products, such as those sold by Herbies and others.  Not that they don't work, only that they charge too much.

You can buy floor protectors made for speaker spikes, from Madisound, four for $2
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/tiptoes/feet/floor-protectors-gold-plated-set-of-4/

If those are too expensive, 4 nickles do the job.  Maybe quarters will do for SS8s  :lol:.

Then, in any hardware store, buy products called SuperSliders, Magic Sliders, or EZ Sliders, like these in the photo.  They stick on the floor protector discs, and come with slick plastic bottoms, felt, or cork.  Get a size that fits the floor protector discs.

If none of those suit you, ask Jim Salk what he suggests.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #3 on: 29 Jun 2017, 03:50 pm »
I use Symposium isolators - but they are not for moving around speakers. One of the best tweaks I ever tried. No spikes for me!

SCompRacer

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2017, 04:30 pm »
Congrats on your SS8's!

Herbies makes some nice Cone/Spike Decoupling Gliders. And yeah, $$. You'll want some substantial footers under them speakers. ;)

I made some footers out of VTI audio rack tube caps for my SS8's. They sell them separately as heavy gear can cause the spike points to punch through over time/vibration. They have a dimple for spikes. IIRC three colors are available. VTI also has large diameter footers for their racks.

I used a hole saw to cut circles of 3/8" thick hardwood and glued them in the caps (construction adhesive). Some black felt adhesive pads were attached to bottom of wood. They work great. You do have to be careful moving the speakers.

« Last Edit: 30 Jun 2017, 06:07 am by SCompRacer »

SCompRacer

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2017, 04:36 pm »
Double tap...apologies.

Meniscus Audio Group in MI had some various size substantial brass footers, but I don't see them listed on their site anymore.

https://meniscusaudio.com/

Ace Deprave

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2017, 05:08 pm »

You can buy floor protectors made for speaker spikes, from Madisound, four for $2
https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/tiptoes/feet/floor-protectors-gold-plated-set-of-4/

I bought those on someone's suggestion here, but when they arrived, were way too small for me...they are .71" compared to the Herbie's that I bought, which were 1 3/8"

Quite a bit more money for sure, but I like them.

hearditontheX

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jul 2017, 02:51 pm »
At the recommendations of folks here and from Jim, I ordered a couple sets of Herbies threaded stud gliders. We have a tile floor.

Jeff in the D

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jul 2017, 09:00 pm »
I have gone ahead and ordered some of these, Herbies cone/spike decoupling gliders.
At 1 and 3/8 inch diameter I'm hoping they are stable. Will see what they feel like, may have to try the larger diameter style, or maybe the threaded stud style.
best, Jeff 

Jeff in the D

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2017, 02:25 am »
Well, Herbies gliders work wonderfully with the Sound Scape 8s.
No trouble moving the speakers at all. Even at 124 pounds my wife
easily moved them.
For me, for my need, just perfect. Could something else worked as well?
I'm sure but with these I won't need to look any further.
best, Jeff

Jeff in the D

« Reply #10 on: 27 Jul 2017, 12:32 am »
SoundScape 8s, Pink Floyd/Meddle, Echoes, excellent bass, really thought I was familiar
with this track but was hearing things I had missed until now. Will have to pull out more of
my older music just to hear what differences there might be. I've had these for almost two
weeks now. Very happy with my decision to get them.
best, Jeff

Jeff in the D

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2017, 06:22 pm »
How do I post photos here? I started to create a Photobucket account thinking this would be the way to do it. But, I found that they are now charging a fee for loading photos to their site, a rather high fee. A good deal more than I am willing to shell out. Can someone point me in a good direction? Maybe a different site to store photos. Thanks in advance.
Best, Jeff
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2017, 08:52 pm by Jeff in the D »

Brettio

« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2017, 07:46 pm »
I know this isn't much help but after you've had a certain number of posts you're able to upload photos without a third party app. If I can find it I'll let you know..

SCompRacer

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2017, 10:17 pm »
SoundScape 8s, Pink Floyd/Meddle, Echoes, excellent bass, really thought I was familiar
with this track but was hearing things I had missed until now.

January 2014 and counting for my SS8's.

A good, short one note system resolution and decay test is in Pink Floyd / The Wall; The simultaneous kick drum/choked snare in the beginning of The Happiest Days Of Our Lives.

Jeff in the D

« Reply #14 on: 20 Aug 2017, 01:27 am »
Steely Dan, Aja, what a wonderfully well recorded and engineered album this is! Forty years old and it sounds at least to me just perfect. Or, it could just be what I'm playing it back through?
best, Jeff

Jeff in the D

« Reply #15 on: 25 Aug 2017, 01:42 am »
Next up for a quiet listening session is the NZSO Chamber Orchestra,
Carl Stamitz, Orchestral Quartets, Op 1.
Jeff

Jeff in the D

« Reply #16 on: 1 Sep 2017, 04:27 pm »
This is only a camera phone photo but it's the best I have at this point.
As many have others have said, photos don't do the finish justice. Much better in person.
Jeff