Product positioning

rbfletch

Product positioning
« on: 12 May 2011, 03:25 pm »
How would you categorize/rank/position your speakers against each other?  What
is your best monitor? Do you have pictures with grills?  Some costs are missing?  Thanks

kip_

Re: Product positioning
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2011, 05:47 pm »
Are you asking Rick specifically or looking for owners' opinions? Rick doesn't have a favorite. As for me, I have SA-2s and MF-7s and find the differences in tonality and soundstaging to be fairly subtle. The SA-2s are more detailed and have nicer highs.

jonbee

« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2011, 06:15 pm »
FWIW, according to Rick, his best monitor ever is the Tempesta.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2011, 06:56 pm »
How would you categorize/rank/position your speakers against each other?  What
is your best monitor? Do you have pictures with grills?  Some costs are missing?  Thanks

Basically the way I work is to gather information from customers and then offer suggestions to fit their personal preferences and system / listening room. To rank or determine "best" is difficult because one solution may work well for someone else but not you. If you can provide insight on what you need in terms of performance I would be happy to give you some ideas.

We do have some pictures of speakers with grills; in fact, all of our speakers come with grills included in the price. Except for the gallery section all other speakers on the site have the cost listed.

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2011, 07:50 pm »
FWIW, according to Rick, his best monitor ever is the Tempesta.

Yes - my favorite of all the monitor designs (and that includes quite a few!).  :thumb:

rbfletch

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2011, 05:30 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  To explain myself, when I start to gather info about speakers, I check their websites and any reviews.  Jonbee had been very complimentary about the Tempestas, which triggered my interest.  When I looked at the Website, I saw 9 monitors from $1.4k to $4k, with a lot of overlap in price and "advantages".  I now understand from Rick's response that tailoring is his modus operandi.  Regarding prices, the website doesn't have a price or details on the Referimento and shows different prices for the Cima depending on whether it's with a sub or just a monitor, making it difficult for someone like me to "position" the Floorstanders.    Also, as I mentioned, I couldn't find any pictures of speakers with grilles.  I would not want to have speakers w/o nice looking grills/covers, since  I would use them.  Some speakers have such cheaplooking grills that it is a knock-off.  I'm not trying to be difficult or come across as a Website evaluator...I'm taking the time to offer one consumers reaction to the info on the Internet on Selahs and questions that I have going forward.  Since Selahs are Internet-only, I have no choice.  I didn't want to bother Selah with a bunch of questions that I should have been able to find online.  Pls accept my comments in the constructive and inquisitive spirit they are intended.

jonbee

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2011, 06:52 pm »
RE: grills- the grills are nicely made, held in place by hidden magnets. A very cool system.
The wife likes them with the grills in place, I prefer them without. They go on/off very quickly and easily- much more so than any I've had.
They do muffle the sound some, but they sound good even with them in place.

pslate

« Reply #7 on: 13 May 2011, 10:37 pm »
The Verita ain't no slouch either  8)

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
« Reply #8 on: 14 May 2011, 08:56 pm »
Thanks for the responses.  To explain myself, when I start to gather info about speakers, I check their websites and any reviews.  Jonbee had been very complimentary about the Tempestas, which triggered my interest.  When I looked at the Website, I saw 9 monitors from $1.4k to $4k, with a lot of overlap in price and "advantages".  I now understand from Rick's response that tailoring is his modus operandi.  Regarding prices, the website doesn't have a price or details on the Referimento and shows different prices for the Cima depending on whether it's with a sub or just a monitor, making it difficult for someone like me to "position" the Floorstanders.    Also, as I mentioned, I couldn't find any pictures of speakers with grilles.  I would not want to have speakers w/o nice looking grills/covers, since  I would use them.  Some speakers have such cheaplooking grills that it is a knock-off.  I'm not trying to be difficult or come across as a Website evaluator...I'm taking the time to offer one consumers reaction to the info on the Internet on Selahs and questions that I have going forward.  Since Selahs are Internet-only, I have no choice.  I didn't want to bother Selah with a bunch of questions that I should have been able to find online.  Pls accept my comments in the constructive and inquisitive spirit they are intended.

No problem - I welcome your input. We do have prices and models that are similar but offer a variety of speakers to suit a wide range of listener preferences. A big part of our service is establishindialogogue with potential customers to determine their needs. Overall we post more information than the majority of speaker companies, for instance, very few of them supply anechoic or nearfield bass response curves leaving one to guess what the speaker will really do.

It is a challenge to provide all the information and show the various models without being confusing to those browsing the site. Your feedback helps make the site better and I'll make some changes to help answer your questions.

In terms of grill pictures I've really never had anyone comment and no complaints from customers on the quality either. As far as the comparison of a floorstander versus a monitor all of the monitor prices are only for that model and not inclusive of a subwoofer. The Cima picture is a little different than the norm since we designed that first pair for a customer who planned to integrate the Fondazione subwoofer as a stand.

I will note that two floorstanders are being added in the $5-6K range. One is the MA-1 (recently introduced at the Atlanta Axpona show) and coming soon is the "Tre Supremo". Due to some production changes at one of our woofer suppliers (AuraSound) we had to drop a few models (RC5G, Galena) since the woofers were no longer available.