Selah Veritas - Newbie Questions

TX328F

Selah Veritas - Newbie Questions
« on: 7 May 2013, 01:39 am »
I found an old thread from someone who had some top-of-the-line Sennheiser headphones and wanted a pair of speakers that could match or exceed that experience. The Selah Veritas were among the recommendations he received.

I did a little research, and I have a few questions for the senior members:
- How would the sealed Veritas compare to the Sennheiser HD 600/650s?
- Any reason to prefer the sealed Veritas + subwoofer to the ported Veritas?
- I would like to use a latest generation receiver to drive my new speakers (with AirPlay, DLNA, etc.). What would be a good match for the Veritas?

A little background: I just sold in eBay my old gear, which consisted in a pair of Sonus Faber Grand Piano Home with Rotel amplification. They were nice, but for my taste, they were never as 'magical' as the Sennheiser headphones.

Thank you for your advice!

jonbee

Re: Selah Veritas - Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: 7 May 2013, 03:45 pm »
I own HD600s, and I think the Veritas would be a good choice if you like the Senn sound. The RAAL tweeters have a similar sound to the top end of the Senns- the highs are just there, as part of the whole; they do not call attention to themselves- no stridency or emphasis at all. The Scanspeak woofer is just as amazingly natural- very clean and detailed, with all the elements in balance. My 600s were a standard for me, and both of my Selahs (SSR and Tempesta) are in the small group of speakers I've owned that offer sound that is comparable and similar.
Ported vs. sealed- my SSRs are sealed, the Tempestas ported. If I was to order them again, I would go ported with both. The cabinets are larger, but the bottom end extension on the ported cabinets is much greater. I use my Tempestas with a sub with no difficulty at all. I've experimented with port stuffing, but I like the sound better without. YMMV, of course. The sub needs to be very clean, with a sharp rolloff on top, to avoid messing up the wonderful midbass. I think the greater extension of the ported does give greater long term flexibility in their use. The Scanspeak woofer in the ported cabinet goes low enough that a sub is purely optional for any type of music - even pipe organ!
Rick's speakers are terrific choices - one rarely (ever?) reads about anyone that is not happy with their purchases. Not "stepping stone" speakers; they take you all the way to the music.

pawsman

« Reply #2 on: 7 May 2013, 08:41 pm »
I've tried both the sealed Veritas and the ported Veritas. When I first heard about Selah, Rick offered to let me try
a demo pair of sealed Veritas for 45 days, which I really liked. Very pure midrange and highs, and they virtually disappeared
because of the minimal baffle. I wanted a little more bass extension though, so I ordered a new pair of ported Veritas.
The ported version definitely gives you more midbass, and high quality bass at that. It's very clean, well defined bass. I listen to a lot of classical orchestral and piano music; it puts a solid foundation under the orchestra and moves more air in the midbass for piano music.
I couldn't compare them to the Sennheiser HD600; I've never heard that model-

pawsman

hcsunshine

« Reply #3 on: 30 May 2013, 08:21 pm »
i had rick build me a pair of paper-coned rear-ported verita speakers. i like them alot. (i don't use a sub-woofer). i have always preffered the sound of paper over polypropylene or alluminum. the paper cones also are only $50 or $100 dollars more per pair too, can't remember which. i'm here to answer any questions you might have. happy listening, john.

TX328F

« Reply #4 on: 2 Jun 2013, 04:08 am »
Thank you for your feedback. Sounds like the ported Verita is a better choice. I'm now wondering if the Tempesta would be a meaningful step up. Anybody who has had a chance to compare the ported Verita with the Tempesta would like to chime in?

Rick Craig

• Industry Participant
  • Selah Audio
    • http://www.selahaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 6 Jun 2013, 08:32 pm »
Thank you for your feedback. Sounds like the ported Verita is a better choice. I'm now wondering if the Tempesta would be a meaningful step up. Anybody who has had a chance to compare the ported Verita with the Tempesta would like to chime in?

The Tempesta has the advantages of a 3-way and is worth the step up.