Bugle up and running

BradJudy

Bugle up and running
« on: 8 Feb 2004, 01:37 am »
I finished wiring up my Bugle today and it's sounding good (attached to a Rega P2/Bias).  I'll post a pic once I finish casing it up (I need to fashion the front and back panels).  

I would recommend adding a power indicator LED to the board if a revision is made.  I'm going to try and figure out the best place to add one for now.  Otherwise I'm sure I'll leave it on and drain the batteries.

Carlman

Bugle up and running
« Reply #1 on: 8 Feb 2004, 01:57 am »
I left mine on overnight.  So, I have recently purchased a very large supply... ;) I'm forgetful... :(

hagtech

Bugle up and running
« Reply #2 on: 8 Feb 2004, 02:10 am »
I thought about designing in the LED.  However, to achieve lowest battery drain I left it out.  One of those artful compromises.

If you do add one, I suggest going from positive rail to negative rail (not ground), to discharge batteries equally.  A current of 5mA typically works well for an LED, so use a series resistor of 3.3k to 3.9k.  

jh :)

BradJudy

Bugle up and running
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2004, 07:50 pm »
Jim,

I understand the reasoning.  I still think it would be a nice 'optional' component if you do a revision of the board.  Since I did an off-board switch it was easy for me to just parallel one off the switch lugs.

I've got the LED on mine now, so it's just a matter of getting the case together.

BradJudy

Bugle up and running
« Reply #4 on: 9 Feb 2004, 02:15 am »
Just finished shaving the board a bit and grinding down the grounding nut so that it will fit into my case - Hammond 1455 3"x6".  It's a perfect case for it if you're not planning on using the PCB mount RCA jacks and switch.  Extruded aluminum, comes in black or plain and is available from Mouser for $14 IIRC (but not stocked at Digikey).

bubba966

Bugle up and running
« Reply #5 on: 9 Feb 2004, 02:25 am »
If you guys want some longer lasting batteries for your Bugle, you might want to try Duracell Procells. You can get them here http://www.electricaldeals.com/html/prodresults.php3?Category=BAT&Subcategory=ALK

I've not tried the 9V Procells yet. But I've found that the AA size lasted 4x longer than a standard Duracell Coppertop. I'd get 15 hours out of the regular Duracells, and 60 hours out of the Procells.

So I'd imagine the 9V Procells would last a good bit longer as well...

BradJudy

Bugle up and running
« Reply #6 on: 13 Feb 2004, 02:58 am »
I promissed pics of the final product and I finally got around to it:

It's in a Hammond 1455 case with 1/4" Cocobolo panels.

mgalusha

Bugle up and running
« Reply #7 on: 13 Feb 2004, 03:18 am »
Very nice! The cocobolo looks great. :thumb:  I'm using one of those Hammond cases for a PPA headphone amp and I thiink some wood end panels are definately in order after seeing yours.  Perhaps a trip to Woodcraft ithis weekend.

mike g

BradJudy

Bugle up and running
« Reply #8 on: 13 Feb 2004, 01:56 pm »
Thanks Mike.  I'm actually starting the process of tweaking my META42 headphone amp (moving to an ALPS pot, adding a crossfeed and increasing the capacitance) and placing it in one of these cases.