isocup and hi-end base

rocketiii

isocup and hi-end base
« on: 16 Jan 2010, 02:22 pm »
I have been using a set of four isocups/lampblack balls/hi-end bases. At the risk of appearing a complete idiot can I just check exactly how these should be used.

I have the hi-end bases on the shelf, the lamplack balls then fit in the isocups with the ball resting on the hi-end base, the isocup is then directly under my amp as follows:

Amp
    I
isocup
    I
lampblack ball
    I
hi-end base
    I
rack shelf

Looking at the product again I think I may have got this wrong - could anyone confirm exactly.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: isocup and hi-end base
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2010, 03:35 pm »
Hi. Iso-Cups w/Hi-End Base and Lampblack Ball are configured as pictured:

The component sits directly on the lampblack ball, the Iso-Cup w/stainless steel Hi-End Base sits directly on the shelf. So the configuration is:

Amp
    I
lampblack ball
    I
Iso-Cup
    I
hi-end base
    I
rack shelf

(An information sheet accompanies the product and should answer any questions about setup and arrangement.)

This is the standard arrangement. You can experiment with other configurations, such as the one you are using, or use the Iso-Cups upside-down. You'll get slightly different results with different configurations. The standard is most stable and gives best sonic results in most circumstances.

Edit 12/13/2011: Frosted Clear Iso-Cup has been replaced in our product lineup with a newly-formulated black Iso-Cup and SuperSonic Hardball. The new Iso-Cup achieves a sonic result equal to or better than the Clear Iso-Cup w/Lampblack Ball + Hi-End Base, without needing the Hi-End Base.

Iso-Cup w/SuperSonic Hardball

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab
« Last Edit: 13 Dec 2011, 11:11 pm by Herbie »

rocketiii

« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2010, 06:00 pm »
 :oops: thanks Steve. I have to say the results were astounding when I installed these. I will now try them the right way round!

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #3 on: 8 Feb 2013, 02:33 pm »
Another dumb  set of questions along these lines:

Is there any advantage to adding an additional Iso-Cup and place the base under the chassis such that the ball is now sandwiched in between 2 Iso-Cups and 1 ball?

Or...any advantage to carving out a partial sphere (as you have done in the Iso-Cup) in the bottom of the chassis itself so the Iso-Cup/Ball combination fits snug into the chassis.

Thanks,
Anand.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2013, 10:55 pm »
Hi, Anand. We have a few customers using Iso-Cups on both the top and bottom of the ball. This might be additionally beneficial in some systems, in others maybe not.

I don't know of anyone carving out the bottom of their chassis. I don't see any particular benefit in doing that.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab