DIY Platform/Isolation

Lonely Raven

DIY Platform/Isolation
« on: 26 Oct 2013, 10:29 pm »

Steve,

I'm looking for some guidance - I'm on a tight budget and looking to improve what I have to it's fullest.

Currently using a Decware Zen amp (older one) http://www.decware.com/newsite/SE84CKC.html

Using an Oppo BDP-105 as a source.  http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-105/

I'm looking to build some isolation platforms - I'm thinking one of the sand box types where there is a wood box filled with sand, then a wood platform "floating" in the sand. Steve, your tube dampers were *wow* inducing good in my system, so I'm looking for your suggestions as to what of your products I should integrate into this DIY platform to make them perform at their best. If you have a different DIY platform idea in mind, please, I'm open to suggestions.

Right now my gear is just sitting on a glass and steel consumer rack - I'm hoping to get rid of that soon.

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: DIY Platform/Isolation
« Reply #1 on: 26 Oct 2013, 11:39 pm »
Hi, Lonely Raven. Playground sand in a wood box with wood platform sitting on the sand makes a great isolation platform. Herbie's grungebuster Dots are beneficial as a decoupling interface between each sand box and shelf. Baltic birch plywood is ideal for the wood platform. You'll still want to upgrade from the stock component feet, for superior isolation/decoupling; otherwise you're not really taking full advantage of the sand boxes. Isolation directly contacting the component chassis is always most essential. Four Tenderfoot isolation feet between each component chassis and wood platform should bring out the best potential of the components. Then again, with Tenderfoot isolation feet, you might find that your present rack is sufficient as is.

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

Lonely Raven

Re: DIY Platform/Isolation
« Reply #2 on: 26 Oct 2013, 11:53 pm »

Exactly what I thought you'd say. Thanks Steve! I'll try the feet first, and see if the isolation platform is really necessary.