Wrapping different materials on Ultrasonic SS

ms142

Wrapping different materials on Ultrasonic SS
« on: 1 Sep 2013, 10:26 pm »
Just want to share an interesting observation in my tweak journey and see what others think (or whether Steve approves it!). I have a pair of Ultrasonic SS on my preamp tubes, and while I like them, sometimes I have the feeling that I'm getting a "rubbery" sound in instrument decays. It could be just my system, of course, but I decided to experiment with wrapping the three pads in different material. I found that wrapping them in silk (cut from generic silk ribbon) smoothens things a bit, while wrapping them in aluminum foil brings some sparkle/clarity. I almost wonder if the latter gets me closer to the Ultrasonic Rx. Any thoughts from other users?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Wrapping different materials on Ultrasonic SS
« Reply #1 on: 2 Sep 2013, 07:46 pm »
Getting a "rubbery" sound with instrument decay or any other aspect of the music is unusual with UltraSonic SS Damping Instruments. Might be interaction with a complementary aspect elsewhere in the system, like Sorbothane or other resonant damping material, or even stock rubber feet. Experimenting with placement of the damping instruments on the tubes might give a better result, closer to the base or closer to the top of the tubes, for example. Or, could very likely be the SS dampers are still breaking in (takes a while for the silicone pads to fully cure, especially with cool-running preamp tubes).

Introducing other materials into the vibrational environment will virtually always give a "tweak" to the sound. Though UltraSonic SS Damping Instruments almost always give the best results as is, there's no harm using silk or aluminum foil around the isolation pads, or Teflon plumber's tape. As each system is unique, results of such tweaks will often be unique to the particular system. Experimentation is often the mother of invention, so there's no need for anyone's approval.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab