Apple Mac mini unibody suspension ?

kenreau

Apple Mac mini unibody suspension ?
« on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:01 pm »
Hi Steve,

In a brief search, I didn't see this topic addressed here.  I have an Apple Mac mini with the aluminum unibody enclosure I use for my music streamer.  The Mac mini is roughly 8-inches wide and 1.5-inches thick and weighs 2.7 pounds.  It has a central removable plastic disk on the bottom for internal access it rests on.  I wanted to inquire what recommendations you would have for supporting it? 

I currently have it on tendersoft tenderfeet at each corner with a SuperSonic Stabilizer on top.  The way the central bottom plastic/sheet metal cover plate is mounted and used for support, I wonder if it should be used (ie Atomic Audio Labs)? 

Thanks
Kenreau

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Apple Mac mini unibody suspension ?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Aug 2013, 10:34 pm »
Hi, Kenreau. I would suppose the cover plate is intended to be used and should be used. Four Tenderfeet and Stabilizer on top should provide ideal isolation/decoupling. (Most of our customers use small-diameter Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots to support the Mac Mini, with excellent results.)

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

jarcher

• Industry Participant
  • It Just Sounds Right
« Reply #2 on: 14 Aug 2013, 12:19 am »
I use cheapo amazon.com sourced sorbothane feet (1 inch maybe?).  Don't know if it really does anything to help much or not with the sound quality.  Would be interested to hear from others if they've found isolation devices really help the sound or not w/ their minis.

BruceSB

« Reply #3 on: 14 Aug 2013, 12:27 am »
If your pockets are deep and you have cash to splash you might like to try the atomic.
Here is the link.
http://www.atomicaudiolabs.com/mac-platform.html
If you do try it please tell us what you think.
Regards
Bruce