Best product to put between monitors and Sound Anchors?

pfarthing

Hi, bit confused at all the product options -- what's the best recommendation to interface between my 40lb monitors and the top plate of my Sound Anchor stands, please?

Thanks!

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Best product to put between monitors and Sound Anchors?
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jun 2013, 01:33 am »
Four Square Fat Dots between each speaker and stand.

Fat Dots

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

pfarthing

« Reply #2 on: 7 Jul 2013, 08:50 pm »
Thanks, Steve. I've had more time to use the products this weekend. Early report - the Baby Booties are working awesome on my small power supply devices and the firm Tenderfeet under my power amp bring nice clarity and focus to the sound.

On the other hand, my DAC seems rather fussy and I'm not sure it does so well with the Tenderfeet - it definitely sharpens up the mids and treble, but I seem to lose some bass and sub-bass weight. Pretty much the same goes for the Square Fat Dots under my monitors - the Sound Anchors blue dots make for a more organic, less-etched sound than the Square Fat Dots. Perhaps in my case I need more coupling between the speakers and the hefty stands?

I would like your thoughts on whether a Stabilizer might do the trick for the DAC (resting some weight on top of the DAC with the Tenderfeet in place seemed to give me the best of both worlds) and whether 1 or 2 are generally recommended?

Also on the Square Dots not quite working out so far, whether Threaded Stud Gliders would work as well as Giant Fat Gliders? I have bare laminate flooring in an apartment, using the Sound Anchors spikes and Conecoasters right now.  I'm considering swapping those out - and perhaps they explain why the synergy isn't quite there yet with the Square Fat Dots. I am taken aback at the midband precision with the Square Dots in place, but my system is already quite analytical and I miss the sub-bass that the blue dots give. Thanks.

R Browne

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2013, 07:48 am »
On the other hand, my DAC seems rather fussy and I'm not sure it does so well with the Tenderfeet - it definitely sharpens up the mids and treble, but I seem to lose some bass and sub-bass weight. Pretty much the same goes for the Square Fat Dots under my monitors - the Sound Anchors blue dots make for a more organic, less-etched sound than the Square Fat Dots. Perhaps in my case I need more coupling between the speakers and the hefty stands?

When I had Audio Note speakers (for 15 years) on Sound Anchors stands I originally used the supplied blue dots as an interface between speakers and stands. With their use I heard some hardening and distortion in the upper mids/lower treble. Blu-Tak was better, but my best results were with Herbie's Soft Fat Dots, which I believe were the original formulation of the Fat Dots. I never had a chance to try the later versions for comparison. The softer formulation might be worth a try.

pfarthing

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2013, 07:40 pm »
Thanks. I don't actually get harshness with the blue dots - rather a more weighty sound. Soft Dots might be a better bet for my speakers/room. I also ordered a product called MoonGel to try out, which are dampers for drum pads, and which someone mentioned as better than Blu Tack.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2013, 10:05 pm by pfarthing »