Isolation recommendation

rubytuesday

Isolation recommendation
« on: 28 Mar 2012, 04:45 pm »
Hi Herbie,

I have the following gear, and looking for isolation recommendations. 

Music Hall MMF5.1 TT
Squeezebox Touch
PS Audio Digital Link III Dac
Rega Brio-R
Totem Arro speakers

Thanks!

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
Re: Isolation recommendation
« Reply #1 on: 29 Mar 2012, 01:41 am »
For a basic isolation setup to bring your system more up to par with its own inherent potential:

For the Music Hall: a Way Excellent II-2mm Turntable Mat.
For the Squeezebox: four small Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots
For the DAC: four TenderSoft Tenderfoot isolation feet and a SuperSonic Stabilizer.
For the Brior-R amp: Four Extra-Firm Tenderfoot isolation feet and two SuperSonic Stabilizers.
For the Arro speakers: a Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider under each of the spikes if on bare floor or thin carpet. If on thick or spongy carpet, replace the present spikes with Threaded Superior Spikes (no Gliders).

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

rubytuesday

« Reply #2 on: 29 Mar 2012, 02:13 am »
Thanks Steve,

Any recommendation for feet below the turntable?

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #3 on: 8 Apr 2012, 02:23 pm »
MMF-series turntables always do very well supported by four Tenderfoot isolation feet.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Frisco

« Reply #4 on: 1 May 2012, 08:39 pm »
Hi Steve,

I'm interested in placing some Herbie Tenderfoots under my integrated and music server....

I was thinking of the "Big Tall Tenderfoots" "extra firm" for my CJ CA200 integrated (just shy of 40 lbs and the reg. Tenderfoot "reg soft"....would you recommend this combo?

What would you recommend I put under my Sonos ZP 90?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....thanks

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #5 on: 1 May 2012, 10:55 pm »
Sure, Frisco. The combo should do very well. Four Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots under the ZP90 should do very well also.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

rw@cn

« Reply #6 on: 2 May 2012, 11:16 am »
Hi Steve,

What would you recommend to isolate a ClearAudio Emotion TT which is on a Salamander - Synergy stand.

Thanks

Bob

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #7 on: 2 May 2012, 02:29 pm »
Hi, Bob. I recommend a Way Excellent II-2mm Turntable Mat for the Emotion platter. Under each of the spike feet, a Herbie's Hush Puckie. If you already have metal shelf protector discs, then a Hush Puckies Base Only under each of the metal discs. Under the motor, three or four 5/8" or 3/4" diameter Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

rw@cn

« Reply #8 on: 2 May 2012, 05:55 pm »
Hi, Bob. I recommend a Way Excellent II-2mm Turntable Mat for the Emotion platter. Under each of the spike feet, a Herbie's Hush Puckie. If you already have metal shelf protector discs, then a Hush Puckies Base Only under each of the metal discs. Under the motor, three or four 5/8" or 3/4" diameter Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

Ordered the Puckies. About the Dots, how do you install them? This may be a foolish question but the only thing I can think of is sticking them under the motor.  :scratch:

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #9 on: 2 May 2012, 06:14 pm »
Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots are simply placed under the motor, between the motor and shelf.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

rw@cn

« Reply #10 on: 2 May 2012, 08:43 pm »
Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots are simply placed under the motor, between the motor and shelf.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

:scratch:

Given the thickness of the Puckies, give an estimate as how many I'll need.

Thanks

rw@cn

« Reply #11 on: 2 May 2012, 08:44 pm »
  :duh:

Given the thickness of the Puckies, give an estimate as how many I'll need.

Thanks

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #12 on: 2 May 2012, 09:59 pm »
Hi, Bob. You'll just need a single thickness. Hush Puckies thickness is just slightly more than the 1/8" thickness of the Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots and there's plenty of up/down latitude around the platter for the drive belt to fit within. Three or four Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots would be placed laterally under the motor, not stacked.

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

lmf22

« Reply #13 on: 25 Jun 2013, 07:31 pm »
I am wondering which isolation I should get for my system:

DAC: Benchmark DAC2 D (~3 lbs)
Turntable: Clearaudio Concept, on a 3 inch thick maple block (~50 lbs)
Phonostage: Audio Research PH6 (~15 lbs)
Integrated amp: Octave V70SE (60-70 lbs)
Rack: Sanus 4 shelf rack.

I have been experimenting with rubber/cork blocks (similar to the Mapleshade IsoBlocks).  I found that if I put them under my DAC and phonostage the soundstage gets wider and deeper but it seems to lose some treble energy and "liveliness."

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #14 on: 29 Jun 2013, 02:28 am »
Hi, imf22. For the DAC, I recommend four TenderSoft Tenderfoot isolation feet underneath and a SuperSonic Stabilizer on top. For the turntable, six 1"-diameter grungebuster Dots between the maple block and shelf (or Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots if you have any macro-vibration issues like footfall).

For the phono stage, four TenderSoft Tenderfoot isolation feet under the chassis and a HAL-O III-9 Vacuum Tube Stabilizer for each of the 6H30 tubes.

For the amp, an UltraSonic SS-9 Damping Instrument for each of the small-signal tubes and a HAL-O III-50 (or other appropriate size) for each power tube. Also, four Extra-Firm Big Tall Tenderfoot isolation feet.

Sanus has lots of 4-shelf rack models. One of Herbie's dBNeutralizer-based products between the bottom of each of the rack legs and floor will make a superb isolation/decoupling interface.

(Cork/rubber blocks are cut from a generic construction material, not an audio product at all, and is sort of a junk material when attempting to use with hi-end audio.)

P.S. Sorry about not replying to your post sooner; I didn't know about it until now.

Best regards,

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

lmf22

« Reply #15 on: 29 Jun 2013, 04:17 am »
Steve,

Thanks for the recommendations.  I actually ordered two sets of the TenderSoft Tenderfoot (for the DAC and phonostage) a couple of days ago and should be arriving tomorrow.  (I figured the TenderSoft foot are safe bet before I read your recommendations.)  As I save up more money I will order more based on your recommendations. 

Two more components I forgot to mention: Torus RM-15 power conditioner (~50 lb) and PS Audio GCPH headphone amp (~15 lb).  Do power conditioners need vibration isolation? 
If yes, I assume the power conditioner should use the Extra Firm Tenderfoot (or Big Tall Extra Firm)?  And the headphone amp should use the Tendersoft? 

Hi, imf22. For the DAC, I recommend four TenderSoft Tenderfoot isolation feet underneath and a SuperSonic Stabilizer on top. For the turntable, six 1"-diameter grungebuster Dots between the maple block and shelf (or Extra-Thick grungebuster Dots if you have any macro-vibration issues like footfall).

For the phono stage, four TenderSoft Tenderfoot isolation feet under the chassis and a HAL-O III-9 Vacuum Tube Stabilizer for each of the 6H30 tubes.

For the amp, an UltraSonic SS-9 Damping Instrument for each of the small-signal tubes and a HAL-O III-50 (or other appropriate size) for each power tube. Also, four Extra-Firm Big Tall Tenderfoot isolation feet.

Sanus has lots of 4-shelf rack models. One of Herbie's dBNeutralizer-based products between the bottom of each of the rack legs and floor will make a superb isolation/decoupling interface.

(Cork/rubber blocks are cut from a generic construction material, not an audio product at all, and is sort of a junk material when attempting to use with hi-end audio.)

P.S. Sorry about not replying to your post sooner; I didn't know about it until now.

Best regards,

Steve Herbelin
Herbie's Audio Lab

Herbie

• Industry Contributor
    • Herbie's Audio Lab
« Reply #16 on: 9 Aug 2013, 08:51 pm »
I'm sorry about the late reply to your post, Imf22. For some reason, I haven't been getting notices on this thread. Audio systems virtually always benefit with isolation/vibration control of the power conditioner. For a 50lb. conditioner, Extra-Firm Tenderfoot isolation feet would be ideal, TenderSoft for the headphone amp.

Best regards,

Steve
Herbie's Audio Lab

lmf22

« Reply #17 on: 5 Sep 2013, 06:18 am »
I'm sorry about the late reply to your post, Imf22. For some reason, I haven't been getting notices on this thread. Audio systems virtually always benefit with isolation/vibration control of the power conditioner. For a 50lb. conditioner, Extra-Firm Tenderfoot isolation feet would be ideal, TenderSoft for the headphone amp.

No problem.  It gave me time to save up.  I just placed another order.  Finally, my entire system will be isolated with Tenderfoot (source components, integrated amp, power conditioner), Grungebuster Dots (turntable platform), and Spike Decoupling Gliders (speakers).  Thanks for making such great product at reasonable prices!