Another Happy new Owner!

Gzerro

Another Happy new Owner!
« on: 9 Nov 2011, 02:40 am »
I received my order today (well most of it anyway) and thought I would post an update.

My full order was ST RAALS, Center and Song Birds for surrounds in straight mahogany with a die to match my cabinet.

First off the packaging was top notch, it would take a major accident to cause a problem the way they were so nicely packed up.

Today I received the Song Towers and Song Birds, but the 3rd box with the center speaker and plinths for the SongTowers won't arrive until tomorrow. I have the Songbirds setup as my mains for tonight and so far am really impressed. The finish is not as fancy as some of the others, but works great for my room. Jim really did a nice job on them.

I will post an update with better pics later along with listening impressions, but here is the best shots I could get of the SongBirds with my phone camera for now.

Saturn94

Re: Another Happy new Owner!
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2011, 02:56 am »
Very nice. :thumb:

Welcome to the Salk family. :D

Bigfishhk

« Reply #2 on: 9 Nov 2011, 03:06 am »
Congratulations. I have had my STs for 2 weeks and they have been a real delight. I also think they did break in a bit- somehow the bass sounds fuller and more solid than on day one. Couldn't believe how well they deliver the deep bass on the XX track 'fantasy'. The mids and highs just sing as everyone says.

Enjoy.
Tom

Nuance

« Reply #3 on: 9 Nov 2011, 04:03 pm »
Congratulations, Gzerro, and welcome to the Salk family!  You have a very nice looking setup.  I look forward to further pictures and impressions.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #4 on: 9 Nov 2011, 04:32 pm »
Welcome to the Salk family & congrats Gzerro, nice looking 'birds'. Enjoy rediscovering your library of tunes.   :beer:

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #5 on: 9 Nov 2011, 11:01 pm »
Welcome aboard Gzerro.  Enjoy your time with your new speakers.

What type of room treatments are those white ones on your front wall?

Has the center channel arrived yet?

looks like that spot in the cabinet is getting jealous

Gzerro

« Reply #6 on: 10 Nov 2011, 01:30 am »
Welcome aboard Gzerro.  Enjoy your time with your new speakers.

What type of room treatments are those white ones on your front wall?

Has the center channel arrived yet?

looks like that spot in the cabinet is getting jealous

The treatments are 4" panels from GIK acoustics in "bone" color fabric. I have really been working on my room recently (just starting to experiment with REW) and am realizing how much the room influences everything. The folks at GIK were really helpful with initial recommendations to get started - no hard sell at all. I wasn't really expecting a couple of panels to make much difference, but it is the best "bang for the buck" upgrade I have ever done. I have a couple of bass traps in the corners as well (not in the picture).

I got the center and Plinths for the Song Towers today, so shortly will fill my empty cabinet. Really looking forward to getting the full system up and running.

Gzerro

« Reply #7 on: 10 Nov 2011, 02:27 am »
I thought I would post a few impressions of the Song Birds before relegating them to surround duty. I spent several hours last night listening to them as mains since I couldn't setup the rest of the system yet.

Some background for starters:
1) My room is just shy of 6000cf considering the openings to the dining room and foyer with cathedrals ceilings. It is a big space for the Song Birds to fill so I kept things at a reasonable volume. I didn't want to push them too hard right out of the box.
2) I ran with no EQ or room correction, both crossed over to a sub (60Hz crossover sounded best to me) and by themselves in "Pure Audio" mode.
3) My speakers for the last couple of years were B&W CM5 and CMC2 center, so I have adapted to that sound which of course will color my opinions quite a bit as my brain hasn't had time to "break in" yet to the different voicing of the Salks.

The good:
1) The Song Birds look incredible, exceptional finish work and build quality that I wouldn't expect in this price range.
2) The bass extension is really astonishing for such a small cabinet. Once my system is setup they will be crossed over to the sub, but it is nice to have some room to experiment with crossover points. (I will 'fess up and admit I chose them vs. the Salk Surrounds primarily for looks).
3) The SongBirds have a really large sweet spot. If I closed my eyes it was difficult to localize them at all except for hard panned sources. They seem to just fill the room with sound without really calling attention to themselves at all. Even out of the sweet spot they sounded terrific.
4) Overall very nicely balanced. Nothing really stood out to distract from the music. Very transparent and clear.

The different (at least compared to the CM5s I am used to):
1) They seem to sound a bit thin at times, especially with the lower range of male vocals and lower-mid range of guitar. Maybe just the smaller woofer, or possibly a coloration of the "warm" CM5s I have adapted to. They may also just be struggling to move enough air to fill the large space.
2) They take a bit of power to run at a good volume, but that is understandable given the design objectives (extended bass response vs efficiency).

The bad:
Honestly nothing really struck me as a significant negative. A really well-balanced design.

Overall I was really impressed. If my room was a bit smaller, or I could live without the ability to occasionally "crank it up" beyond my normal listening volumes they are all the speaker I would ever want.

Thanks for putting up with my ramblings!

Now off to setup the Song Towers!  :eyebrows:

More later...

R Swerdlow

« Reply #8 on: 10 Nov 2011, 07:35 pm »
Thanks for your listening impressions and photos.  Congrats on your new speakers!  I like the finish on them.

My speakers for the last couple of years were B&W CM5 and CMC2 center, so I have adapted to that sound which of course will color my opinions quite a bit as my brain hasn't had time to "break in" yet to the different voicing of the Salks.

The bass extension is really astonishing for such a small cabinet. Once my system is setup they will be crossed over to the sub, but it is nice to have some room to experiment with crossover points. (I will 'fess up and admit I chose them vs. the Salk Surrounds primarily for looks).

The different (at least compared to the CM5s I am used to):
They seem to sound a bit thin at times, especially with the lower range of male vocals and lower-mid range of guitar. Maybe just the smaller woofer, or possibly a coloration of the "warm" CM5s I have adapted to. They may also just be struggling to move enough air to fill the large space.

You made a good point about what you are now accustomed to hear after years with your CM5s.  Although I haven't heard that particular model, other B&Ws I have heard also had some extra emphasis in the lower range of male vocals & lower-mid range of guitar.  Compared to that, the Songs (and other Salk models as well) may at first sound thin.  However, after you break your ears in to your Songs, bring out the CM5 and listen again.

I tried that with my old speakers after a few months with my SongTowers.  Compared to the STs, nearly everything else sounded "muddy".  That extra "warmth" of my old speakers had morphed into an unclear sounding midrange.

Gzerro

« Reply #9 on: 10 Nov 2011, 08:44 pm »
I tried that with my old speakers after a few months with my SongTowers.  Compared to the STs, nearly everything else sounded "muddy".  That extra "warmth" of my old speakers had morphed into an unclear sounding midrange.

That is interesting to know about the other B&Ws you have heard. One of the reasons I started looking for new speakers in the first place was muddiness in the mid-range of the CM5s.

I think you nailed it on the head with that observation. :thumb:

audiotom

• Ground control to Major Tom
    • for everything music
« Reply #10 on: 11 Nov 2011, 12:19 am »
gzerro

don't forget  - your Salk's are still breaking in.
The butterfly is just now opening it's wings