My visit with vintagebob

Nuance

Re: My visit with vintagebob
« Reply #100 on: 9 Mar 2010, 11:20 pm »
I agree with Stew and Kshep.

Bob,

I imagine your system already sounds amazing, but it will get better after those steps are taken, and I can't wait for it all to come together for you.   8) 
« Last Edit: 10 Mar 2010, 12:32 am by Nuance »

TJHUB

« Reply #101 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:02 am »
Bob,

Out of curiosity, what is not sounding "right" to you?  I think making changes needs to be based on what you are hearing vs. what you want to hear. 

My comment to you is that your speakers are too far apart making them far too close to the side walls.  I had a VERY strange thing happen a few weeks back.  A friend of mine just wasn't liking the sound of his setup, but he has very nice gear.  I stopped over to try and "help" one day after work. 

So I sit in his listening position and listen.  There is a strange sort of distorted sound and things just sounded smeared for the lack of a better word.  I didn't have a clue where to start with trying to make things better.  One thing I did notice was that his speakers were just a bit farther apart than the distance from each speaker to the listening position.  I asked if we could start by moving the speakers closer together and my friend said "sure".

We moved the speakers closer together by about 14" each for a total of 28" total (I'm estimating here, but I'm not too far off).  The change is sound was amazing.  The sound was immediately clearer sounding.  The sound had more weight and the imaging was near perfect.  It was like we were listening to a completely different system in a different room.  My friend was completely floored and he said that his setup never sounded that good.  Everything came into balance and sounded fantastic.  As a matter of fact, that's all we did that night to "fix" his setup.  We spent the rest of the time just listening to everything we could and it all sounded fantastic.  He told me that his setup finally reminded him of visiting my home.  He's been extremely happy ever since. 

I don't know how much you've played with speaker placement.  Judging from your room treatments, I'm guessing you've got a lot of trial and error time in.  When I first saw your pictures, it just struck me that your speaker placement reminds me of my friend's situation.  It might be worth a try.

I also trust that those of you at the GTG must have really liked Kirk's mega-sexy CJ preamp?  :D 

Stylus

« Reply #102 on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:16 am »
Unfortunately I didn't get you hear your system with your AVA pre so it is tough for me to comment on how that upgrade might affect you setup.  I will say though that I thought your system sounded great with the two tube pres I heard.

I would have to guess that moving the TV would have a negligible effect as compared to how you had the panel covering it during the GTG.  But, if moving the TV was = to the panel then that would add a nice convenience factor that I think would be worth it.

How about a nice turntable and a haul of records?  :icon_twisted:

vintagebob

« Reply #103 on: 10 Mar 2010, 05:46 am »
Bob,

Out of curiosity, what is not sounding "right" to you?  I think making changes needs to be based on what you are hearing vs. what you want to hear. 

My comment to you is that your speakers are too far apart making them far too close to the side walls.  I had a VERY strange thing happen a few weeks back.  A friend of mine just wasn't liking the sound of his setup, but he has very nice gear.  I stopped over to try and "help" one day after work. 

So I sit in his listening position and listen.  There is a strange sort of distorted sound and things just sounded smeared for the lack of a better word.  I didn't have a clue where to start with trying to make things better.  One thing I did notice was that his speakers were just a bit farther apart than the distance from each speaker to the listening position.  I asked if we could start by moving the speakers closer together and my friend said "sure".

We moved the speakers closer together by about 14" each for a total of 28" total (I'm estimating here, but I'm not too far off).  The change is sound was amazing.  The sound was immediately clearer sounding.  The sound had more weight and the imaging was near perfect.  It was like we were listening to a completely different system in a different room.  My friend was completely floored and he said that his setup never sounded that good.  Everything came into balance and sounded fantastic.  As a matter of fact, that's all we did that night to "fix" his setup.  We spent the rest of the time just listening to everything we could and it all sounded fantastic.  He told me that his setup finally reminded him of visiting my home.  He's been extremely happy ever since. 

I don't know how much you've played with speaker placement.  Judging from your room treatments, I'm guessing you've got a lot of trial and error time in.  When I first saw your pictures, it just struck me that your speaker placement reminds me of my friend's situation.  It might be worth a try.

I also trust that those of you at the GTG must have really liked Kirk's mega-sexy CJ preamp?  :D

Wow, great post!  Thanks.  I've been planning for awhile to start another thread just on HT2-TL placement and put in all the stuff I have tried to date with the appropriate links.  Maybe tomorrow night...

I have actually tried the speakers closer together.  I think that vocal clarity is my last hurdle and really my system is MUCH better than it was.  I just think that I can get some more out of it.

TJHUB

« Reply #104 on: 10 Mar 2010, 12:24 pm »
Wow, great post!  Thanks.  I've been planning for awhile to start another thread just on HT2-TL placement and put in all the stuff I have tried to date with the appropriate links.  Maybe tomorrow night...

I have actually tried the speakers closer together.  I think that vocal clarity is my last hurdle and really my system is MUCH better than it was.  I just think that I can get some more out of it.

I would very much like to see a thread on placement of the HT2-TL.  I've learned a couple of things with mine in my room, but I'm guessing it's the room that's by far the biggest factor.  I'd still like to know what people have gone through in placing their HT2-TL's.

tesseract

« Reply #105 on: 14 Mar 2010, 09:50 pm »
K Shep, PM sent.