Is my T-7 obsolete?

1PsychProf

Is my T-7 obsolete?
« on: 10 Jun 2007, 06:29 pm »
Hey all,

I guess I haven't checked Frank's website often enough, as now I see there is a t-8 and something called an Ultra when it comes to pre-amplifiers.  I have owned my T7-ecr for...well...I guess three years now, and it's really my favorite, most hassle free piece of equipment that I own.

But, now I see I am obsolete.  Are there any advantages to be had by moving up ato a newer pre-amp.  I had been actually considering replacing my Sunfire Symp Ref 250 amp with Frank's biggest amp (the 550ex?), but now I wonder if I should change preamps first?

Any opinions?

I am running a Musical Fidelity A308cr and a Sim Audio Moon CDP into the T7 into the Sunfire amp, into the VMPS RN-40's in a big, loft-type of room with soft furnishings.

Thanks,
Dave

Charles Calkins

Re: Is my T-7 obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jun 2007, 06:47 pm »
Dave:
 When I was at last years RMAF I asked Frank about upgrading my T7ECR and he said don't bother now but in 5 or so years it might be ready for upgrades.

Cheers
                                                Charlie

avahifi

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2007, 08:12 pm »
The Transcendence Seven ECR can be upgraded to a current Ultra EC because the ECR versions with tone controls were in the big (17" wide) chassis, unlike their smaller SL brothers.

The upgrade consists of a complete new mother board replacing the existing power supply board, line board, phono board if present, and mute board combined.  It provides the eight power supply regulators (on unit with phono), 6N1P line circuits, built in mute circuits and more.  It also includes a new vented cover.

The price is $999 without phono, $1299 with phono now, $1399 without phono now and to be added.  The newest black faceplates with gold graphics and text and black/gold inlay knobs are new round pushbuttons can be provided for an extra $100.

The cost is slightly more than half of the cost of an equivalent new unit and you will essentially have a new unit with a new three year factory warranty.

Is it worth it?  Our clients who have done the Ultra upgrade seem to think so, lots of talk about it here at AC for you to find.

Last year at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fair we had not yet realised how important the 6N1P tube, when used right and provided with the right power supply, could be to major musical improvements.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jun 2007, 08:44 pm »
The T8 is sweet!  aa

Wayner

martyo

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jun 2007, 11:39 pm »
I have a T-8 and an Ultra 550. I "moved up" from a Carver TFM-75. Last year I "moved up" to a used Super Pas 3i from my Carver C-16. The 3i (from '95)was so superior to the Carver preamp. This year I was going to get just a T-8 and a 550 next year until I borrowed my brothers 550. (Last version, not the Ultra). I don't know what Carver's newer amps sound like but I was so shocked when I heard the difference that I couldn't wait. To me there are some basic characteristics of AVA equipment that are part of the DNA of how they sound that were readily apparent even in the 3i. An openness and realism, and air to name a few. My TFM-75  really lacked those. I'm not saying my 3i was even close to the T-8, particularly in dynamic range and the frequency extremes, and in every other area, but that aliveness, realness, or musicality that I didn't have in my old equipment is what I'm talking about. I didn't listen for weeks after I had to go back to my TFM-75. Again, I don't know how the newer Carver equipment sounds but "Carver heads" were really anxious to get my 75 and I was just as anxious to get the 550 and my comparison was with the 550ex. So that's my story.

Marty

OldCoder

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jun 2007, 11:46 pm »
An Ultra preamp is an improvement over the T-7 (which I have too), but I think the Ultra 550 amp will bring more to your system that the preamp upgrade will.

I used to use an AVA 240 EXR amp as the primary amp in my system, and when I heard the Ultra 550, I was seriously impressed.  A short while later, I owned one, and I haven't looked back since.

Meanwhile, a close friend has brought over is Ultra preamp, and the most recent Ultra preamp, and we have experimented with those.  Both were real improvements, but not quite up to the level of the Ultra 550.

math-geek

« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2009, 09:13 pm »
I have a T-8 and an Ultra 550. I "moved up" from a Carver TFM-75. Last year I "moved up" to a used Super Pas 3i from my Carver C-16. The 3i (from '95)was so superior to the Carver preamp. This year I was going to get just a T-8 and a 550 next year until I borrowed my brothers 550. (Last version, not the Ultra). I don't know what Carver's newer amps sound like but I was so shocked when I heard the difference that I couldn't wait. To me there are some basic characteristics of AVA equipment that are part of the DNA of how they sound that were readily apparent even in the 3i. An openness and realism, and air to name a few. My TFM-75  really lacked those. I'm not saying my 3i was even close to the T-8, particularly in dynamic range and the frequency extremes, and in every other area, but that aliveness, realness, or musicality that I didn't have in my old equipment is what I'm talking about. I didn't listen for weeks after I had to go back to my TFM-75. Again, I don't know how the newer Carver equipment sounds but "Carver heads" were really anxious to get my 75 and I was just as anxious to get the 550 and my comparison was with the 550ex. So that's my story.

Marty

I own Krell now.  Your review though is useless unless you changed only one component at a time.  You cannot change three items and tell everybody that it is "better".  How do you know what is better? 

I regret selling my TFM-75.    It was not completely refined sounding but it maintained an iron grip control over speakers that is only matched by Krell. amps costing much more.  Mine sold for only $750.00 on ebay :(

TjMV3

« Reply #7 on: 14 Dec 2009, 01:41 pm »

His system sounds better (in his opinion) with the AVA amp and preamp in than with the Carver amp and preamp.  Doesn't seem too complicated to me.  I also didn't read that as saying he changed them all at once, or that he didn't compare individual components.

In fact,  if one chooses to read the actual words martyo used in his post;  one gets the clear impression he did this over a period of time.

You know,   words such as......."  Last year I "moved up"  "

and......" This year "   

I don't know,  maybe it's just me misinterpreting.  But seems to me martyo made changes over a period of time......one component at a time. 

I'm sure if I'm incorrect,  martyo will let me know.

martyo

« Reply #8 on: 14 Dec 2009, 02:10 pm »
Thanks Brian and TjMV3, you're correct.

We all hear different and have different speakers and rooms and preferences. I changed out my electronics when I had the Carver Platinums. The 550 EXR6 blew away the TFM-75. I was a Carver head, but Carver was/is mid-fi, IMO.
First the PAS3i pre replaced the C-16 pre. Then the 550 EXR6 was put in for a month. (The TFM75 was also swapped out into another set, replacing the 550 EXR6. At that point I was sure the 75 was gonna kick ass. It was just the opposite.) Then the 3i was replaced with the T-8. Then the Ultra 550 replaced the TFM-75. The DAC was added around 6 months later.
The Platinums really came to life with the 550 EXR6 and then the Ultra 550, but still a mid-fi speaker. The bass was more defined, powerful, and dynamic, with either AVA amp than with the TFM-75. Not even close in ANY other respect either.
I sold my 75 for $900 to someone on the Carver forum. I thought I was lucky to find a buyer, but then a couple of weeks later 2 different TFM75s sold for $1450 each on ebay. Timing........

It's good for you that you found gear that works for you.  :thumb:

turkey

« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:19 pm »

I own Krell now.  Your review though is useless unless you changed only one component at a time.  You cannot change three items and tell everybody that it is "better".  How do you know what is better? 

I regret selling my TFM-75.    It was not completely refined sounding but it maintained an iron grip control over speakers that is only matched by Krell. amps costing much more.  Mine sold for only $750.00 on ebay :(

I have a Vise-Grip Amp-O-Matic that maintains 133.6 times as much iron grip control over speakers than either Krell or Carver amps.

So grip that, bucko.

turkey

« Reply #10 on: 14 Dec 2009, 05:24 pm »
Some Carver amps actually have a rather high output impedance as part of the "transfer function" thing where Carver made them sound like his big toob amp.

Krell amps may well have a low output impedance, but so do a lot of other amps. If I remember, Krell lost their top engineer 10 or so years ago, so who knows what their gear is actually like at this point.

martyo

« Reply #11 on: 14 Dec 2009, 06:18 pm »

I have a Vise-Grip Amp-O-Matic that maintains 133.6 times as much iron grip control over speakers than either Krell or Carver amps.

So grip that, bucko.

Turkey, they just keep setting you up. :lol:

TjMV3

« Reply #12 on: 14 Dec 2009, 08:18 pm »
I've listened to a lot of amplifiers (and other gear) over the last eight years.  That doesn't make me an expert by any means.  But for my tastes and for my ears/brain....

The Number One best deal (in terms of sound quality,  musicality and pricing) on brand,  spanking new amps (and preamps) and the Number One best deal on the used market............ are Van Alstine amps and Preamps.

The Number Two best deal (in terms of sound quality,  musicality and pricing) on the used market............ are these latest McIntosh amplifiers (mc252, mc352,  mc401) and specifically their c220 preamp.

Nothing I have tried (and no,  I have not tried them all) comes close to the musicality,   emotional feel and overall sound quality of these two superb brands.  They are my favorites above all others.

turkey

« Reply #13 on: 15 Dec 2009, 07:43 pm »

Turkey, they just keep setting you up. :lol:

His comments struck me as being a bit silly, so a silly response was warranted.

I prefer Frank's amps, and have had several, but there are other companies that also make good amps. AVA products seem to offer a good value too, and that's kind of rare in the audio business.

avahifi

« Reply #14 on: 15 Dec 2009, 08:39 pm »
Yes  :).   Just wait a couple of weeks.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Minn Mark

« Reply #15 on: 16 Dec 2009, 06:40 pm »
OoooooooH, Frank !
Sounds like something is up.....maybe can be coincident with a movie about a planet inhabited by the "Ava-hifi's", and you can have the cult status awarded Krell.... :thumb:

Look forward to your upcoming news.

Mark

turkey

« Reply #16 on: 16 Dec 2009, 08:42 pm »
Call it "Lake Krellbegon Tales."

Minn Mark

« Reply #17 on: 16 Dec 2009, 09:04 pm »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: