Kickstarter for Jerome Sabbagh/Greg Tuohey "No Filter" AAA vinyl!

jeromesabbagh

Hello everyone,

This is saxophonist Jerome Sabbagh writing. I’ve been a member of this board and an audiophile for a while. I recently recorded a new album, "No Filter", a project I co-lead with my old friend - and fantastic guitarist - Greg Tuohey. I am raising funds to press it on vinyl, like I did 3 years ago for my album "The Turn", which made a few "best of" lists for 2014 (LA Times, Boston Globe, DownBeat) and was also favorably reviewed in Stereophile and Analog Planet. It will be all analog.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1834848136/jerome-sabbagh-greg-tuohey-no-filter-analog-vinyl

Like "The Turn", this record was recorded live to two track 1/2 inch tape at 30 ips by James Farber at Sear Sound in New York. It will be mastered and cut to vinyl directly from the tape by Bernie Grundman. CDs and 96/24 downloads will also be available.

We are trying to keep the vinyl affordable at $20 + shipping ($5 in the US).

I am happy to answer any and all questions and hope you might consider supporting this.

Thank you!

Jerome Sabbagh
www.jeromesabbagh.com

jeromesabbagh

Hi,

I wanted to let everyone know that we officially reached the goal on Kickstarter for "No Filter", which allows us to move forward. I am psyched and grateful for the support on this board and elsewhere. The vinyl pressing will definitely become a reality! I will keep you informed. The Kickstarter is still open for another 3 weeks or so. Thank you!

Jerome Sabbagh

Delacroix

I'm in.  I participated in Jerome's earlier project, The Turn, which is a great record. Let's support new jazz artists creating original music now.

jeromesabbagh

Some of you have backed my new Kickstarter for an all analog pressing of "No Filter" and as a thank you for the support, I wanted to share a couple of preview tracks with you. They are streaming here:

https://soundcloud.com/jeromesabbagh/sets/jerome-sabbagh-greg-tuohey-no-filter

Mastering Engineer Bernie Grundman gave us a few options to choose from in the beginning and, after extensive listening, we ended up going with no EQ, which allowed us to bypass the mastering board for an even purer signal path.

For the vinyl, Bernie has cut a test lacquer of a song two ways, one on his solid state lathe and one on his tube lathe. We’re going to pick the one that sounds best to us to cut the vinyl directly from the tape.

I hope you will enjoy the music and consider supporting this project, if you haven’t done so already. There are 5 days left:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1834848136/jerome-sabbagh-greg-tuohey-no-filter-analog-vinyl

I have a master at 96/24 and if anyone here would like to hear the tracks at 96/24, please PM me and I will send a link.

Thank you!

Jerome Sabbagh

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
   Jerome I'm in. Great work thanks.

charles

jeromesabbagh

Thanks you Charles! Much appreciated!

jeromesabbagh

Update: we are definitely going with the tube lathe for the vinyl! While both versions of the test track sounded very good, the one made with the tube lathe sounds better tonally, more involving, more realistic. I can't wait to hear the whole record like this!One day left on the Kickstarter ...

jeromesabbagh

I'm happy to report that I now have the all analog vinyl for my record "No Filter", recorded live to 2 track 1/2 inch tape at 30 ips by James Farber and mastered by Bernie Grundman on his tube lathe. After having rejected 4 sets of test pressings, I am really pleased with the result. I finished mailing all copies that were bought already, whether through Kickstarter or not, this morning!

I hope those of you who supported the project here will enjoy the result!

Thank you all so much for the support!

Jerome Sabbagh

toocool4

Cool Jerome i look forward to getting my copy  8) and having a good listen while enjoying a nice glass of :wine:

toocool4

Just got my copy today.

jeromesabbagh

Great! I hope you like it!

toocool4

Not had a chance to listen to it yet, but i am sure i will like it.

borism

Got my copy today. It's a great pressing, absolutely no noise on quick first listen. Need to play it again.  :thumb:

jeromesabbagh

Awesome! That's what I like to hear. Thanks for your support!

SFDude

Grabbed "The Turn" based on previewing the tracks. The kind of music that sets the mood for a chill but body-moving evening with a glass of whiskey in hand. You have an additional fan, Jerome!

-dave

jeromesabbagh

Awesome! Thanks Dave! I'm sending your record today. Thanks for the support!

Jerome

jeromesabbagh

Hello everyone,

I've been asked a few times about the availability of the album on reel to reel. A few copies were indeed made at Bernie Grundman's studio, directly from the tape we recorded on, making the tape effectively a master tape (first generation with level adjustments). I can still make these but they were quite expensive, due to the cost of tape and of studio time at Bernie Grundman's.

As a result, I’m exploring a cheaper alternative. I could get a mastered 30 ips 1/2 inch copy of the original tape made at Bernie Grundman’s, and then make high quality copies of that elsewhere. I could then sell 1/4 inch copies of the record at 15 ips or 7.5 ips.

I’d have to have enough buyers to justify making the copy of the tape at Bernie Grundman’s in the first place, but if I get a few, this would be doable. I'm trying to see if there is enough demand to do this.

If anyone here has interest, please let me know.

Otherwise, I hope everyone here is pleased with their records. I'm grateful for the support. Any and all feedback welcome.

Thanks a lot!

Jerome Sabbagh

jeromesabbagh

We just got a new review in The Absolute Sound. The all analog vinyl is still available, as well as R2R, CD, high res download, streaming etc. Thanks for your support!

borism

Just listening to the LP again. It is very good!