External battery power for Olive Music Servers

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« on: 19 May 2006, 12:25 pm »
All,

I received a few emails recently asking if I can offer a way to allow for an external battery to be used to power the modded Olive while the internal battery is charging, and visa versa (like what Dodd does with their new battery preamp).  The answer is...YES!

I will be including a custom jack on the back of every Olive that I modify (this will not change the price of the Olive mods).  

I will be offering an external battery of the same Ah rating in a simple black anodized aluminum enclosure (just like the squeezebox supply)...there will only be one jack on it and a switch to enable it.  The switch and battery charger connection will be on the back of the Olive just as it is now.  This will keep things very simple.

SWITCH UP: Olive playing on internal battery and external battery is charging

SWITCH DOWN: Olive playing on external battery (assuming if you have it connected) and internal battery is charging

I will be posting pricing for this supply (which will come with the cord to connect to the Olive) shortly.  

I will also try my best to make the switch from one supply to the other SEAMLESS....so you won't need to turn off and reboot your Olive.  This is all about keeping it simple, and will only be an option (that you can purchase at any time) for those who want to be able to play longer than the recommended play times posted on my webpage.

Being able to switch from one supply to the other while always having a supply charging will let you be able to play all day and night if that is what you want to do....ALL OFF THE GRID!  :drums:

I will post a link to this thread on the other Olive threads....

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
Re: External battery power for Olive Music Servers
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2006, 06:10 pm »
Quote from: Vinnie R.
I will also try my best to make the switch from one supply to the other SEAMLESS....so you won't need to turn off and reboot your Olive..

Just tested it out....it IS seamless!  8)

Eli

« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2006, 06:34 pm »
How long can a system like that run off of the internal battery before having to switch?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2006, 08:05 pm »
Quote from: Eli
How long can a system like that run off of the internal battery before having to switch?

Hi Eli,

With the Symphony, you can go a max. of 8 hours.  With the Musica, it is a max of 6 hours (the hard drive in the Musica sucks more juice).

It is probably best to use the same battery size for the external one, so while one is playing the other will be charging and they can be equally used and charged.

Technically the external battery can be a BIG automobile battery that will play for hours and hours, but that might be a little crazy  :o

Best,

Eli

« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2006, 08:13 pm »
That raises the question, then, of why have an internal battery at all?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2006, 08:19 pm »
Quote from: Eli
That raises the question, then, of why have an internal battery at all?

Because some people don't want to have an external supply...they want it all built in (I am in this crowd).  And some are not going to ever play longer than 6 to 8 hours at a time, so the need for an exteranl supply is nil (I am also in this crowd  :wink: ).  This is why I am making it optional.

Boybees

« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2006, 08:30 pm »
Vinnie, any chance of an AC option like you have on the SB mods? That is: the unit runs on AC for background music and wife/kids, and then switch over to battery for critical listening?

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2006, 02:07 pm »
Quote from: Boybees
Vinnie, any chance of an AC option like you have on the SB mods? That is: the unit runs on AC for background music and wife/kids, and then switch over to battery for critical listening?

Hi Boybees,

I do not have plans to offer this.  

Best regards,

ehart

« Reply #8 on: 29 May 2006, 12:51 am »
Vinnie,

Do you offer a version of your mods that doesn't include running the unit off battery?  Or that allows the battery to charge constantly, eliminating the manual switch?

I ask because basically I intend to leave the Musica on all the time.  This is so I can activate the music via remote from anywhere in the house.  I don't want to have to do a manual switch to start listening.  If I understand your mods correctly, this would not be possible.  Correct?

Cordially,

Eric Hart

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 30 May 2006, 01:55 am »
Quote from: ehart
Vinnie,

Do you offer a version of your mods that doesn't include running the unit off battery?  Or that allows the battery to charge constantly, eliminating the manual switch?

I ask because basically I intend to leave the Musica on all the time.  This is so I can activate the music via remote from anywhere in the house.  I don't want to have to do a manual switch to start listening.  If I understand your mods correctly, this would not be possible.  Correct?

Cordially,

Eric Hart

Hi Eric,

Correct...this is not possible with the mods that I do.

Best regards,