Latest Live Shows You've Been To...

nickspicks

« Reply #140 on: 28 Apr 2006, 11:47 am »
I saw Sound Tribe Sector 9 on Wed.  you can download my recording here shortly:  http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=36142&from=browseRecent

the opener was very cool.  3 piece jazz band, which you can also download my recording of (mics were on stage.. very good recording): www.nickspicks.com/mp3/umj
the files are redbook FLACs, not mp3.  fwiw.

sts9fan

« Reply #141 on: 28 Apr 2006, 12:18 pm »
I am so glad they are starting to mix their old more "organic" sound with the newer electronic sounds. I was at the "Jam In the Dam" and they killed it all three nights. I was so glad to see Murph playing the bass more then the G3 insted of vice versa. I do like the samples but you have to mix them in with caution for my liking. Tight does not even begin to explain how well these guys are playing together.

RooX

« Reply #142 on: 28 Apr 2006, 12:27 pm »
just saw death cab for cutie and franz ferdinand on wed.

dethcab was pretty boring.. not much presence, each song sounded like the previous one.

franz actually did very well, got people jumping, had some fun with the crowd.  at one point i think there were 5 people (including roadies) playiung on one drum set each wit htheir own sticks, it was pretty neat.

lazydays

« Reply #143 on: 3 Jun 2006, 05:49 pm »
listened to the second set of the John Faddis Quartet last night. Breath Taking! Have not heard a man play with a mute as well as he did since the last time I saw Miles, and I'm not sure I didn't like Faddis' sound better! But the bass player tole the show! This guy was really out there, and heard a lot of Scott LaFaro in his play. This is one not to miss if your into jazz.
gary

mjosef

JVC Jazz Festival
« Reply #144 on: 17 Jun 2006, 05:28 am »
Ornette Coleman Quintet at Carnegie Hall; 3 basses(2 acoustic+ 1 electric), drums and sax/trumpet/violin(alternately). I try to catch him every year at this Festival, seems like his only live appearance in NYC over the years, this year he is the only headliner. Last year he was paired with Abbey Lincoln.
Did not get a good seat, extreme right and close to the stage. The sound sucked from there, the drumset was very soft, missing that dynamic snap I remember from last year's concert. Sound mix was way off. The bassist from the far left was too prominent in the right speakers, overwhelming the bassist from the near right. The bass notes were not distinct, rather they sounded like mush, all squished up into a mishmash. The far left bassist used his bow most of the time, the near right bassist mostly plucked and sometimes used his bow. The electric bassist was in the middle behind Ornette. And the drummer was in the middle rear behind a clear panel.
Ornette's sax, violin and trumpet were clear and distinct.
Almost at the end of the performance when Deonardo(drums) soloed, I saw the mixer guy adjust the mix, to bring the drumkit forward, and he seemed to leave the drum level there as the drums sounded more clear for the rest of the performance. I wonder how did the sound guy get that position in such a prestigious music venue.
Not as satisfying as last year's appearance.

mjosef

Vision Festival...
« Reply #145 on: 20 Jun 2006, 04:53 am »
The 'real' jazz festival.
Saturday 6/17 7-12pm. 5 bands; Slammin' the Infinite, Roscoe Mitchell & the Chicago Quartet, Joe Morris and Barre Phillips duo, Jason Kao Hwang's EDGE, and By All Means which comprises Charles Gayle on sax, William Parker on bass and Rashied Ali on drums.
Sunday 6/18 6-10pm. Missed the first band but caught the last four bands.
Kidd Jordan Quartet. PaNic -a dance piece featuring Patricia Nicholson (dance), William Parker on sintir and bass, Hamid Drake on percussion, Jo Wood Brown on light visuals and Joseph Jarman on flute and bells. Whit Dickey Trio. David S. Ware Quartet.
Over 10 hours of live music created in the moment.

elcaptain88

Re: Latest Live Shows You've Been To...
« Reply #146 on: 25 Jun 2006, 05:50 pm »
Went to Bonnie Raitt / Keb Mo last night at Ravinia Festival, an outdoor venue north of Chicago. Great show - Ravinia is a blast, anyone visiting Chicago during the summer should put it on their list of things to do - lots of geat acts.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #147 on: 25 Jun 2006, 06:24 pm »
Just returned (Monday) from last weekend's Bonnaroo festival.  Wow!  Radiohead was like seeing the Beatles in '65!  I was in awe.  The show was a complete success, even though we were a bit right of the stage and 1/4th of the way back (103k people in attendance).  I cannot overemphasize how great it was, at age 52, to experience that concert with my 20 yr old son, the person who turned me on to them.  Oh, and Beck was the act before Radiohead (second time I saw Beck in past 12 months) and it was also a great show, puppets and all.  Elvis Costello and the Attractions w/ Allen Tousaint, was the afternoon show at the same large What Stage, and they put on a great set, but nowhere near the next two. 

We also saw a number of other bands, with Bright Eyes being a standout on Friday.  Others included Tom Petty and Buddy Guy.

All in all, a lifetime experience, except that it went so well, we'll likely go again next year.  8)

mojoman

« Reply #148 on: 27 Jun 2006, 11:38 pm »
Just returned (Monday) from last weekend's Bonnaroo festival.  .....

I am so jealous Ted.  My son went for the second time this year and I really wanted to go but couldn't get away from work.  There were so many bands I would have liked to have seen; Bonnie Raitt, Rusted Root, Buddy Guy, The Neville Brothers, Umphrey's McGee, Phil Lesh, G. Love, Robert Randolph, Steve Earle and on and on.   My son agrees that Radiohead was the best show they saw followed by Oysterhead (who I'm not to familiar with).  Did you camp?  How was that if you did?

mojoman

« Reply #149 on: 27 Jun 2006, 11:50 pm »
Last Friday I saw the Michael Burks Blues Band at my favorite blues club that holds 100 people tops.  Burks has to be one of the best pure electric blues guitarist going today.   If you love the blues, check out either of his cds, I Smell Smoke or Make It Rain and see him live if you can.   They played  over 3 hours for the paltry sum of $12.  Great show!

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #150 on: 27 Jun 2006, 11:53 pm »
Just returned (Monday) from last weekend's Bonnaroo festival.  .....

I am so jealous Ted.  My son went for the second time this year and I really wanted to go but couldn't get away from work.  There were so many bands I would have liked to have seen; Bonnie Raitt, Rusted Root, Buddy Guy, The Neville Brothers, Umphrey's McGee, Phil Lesh, G. Love, Robert Randolph, Steve Earle and on and on.   My son agrees that Radiohead was the best show they saw followed by Oysterhead (who I'm not to familiar with).  Did you camp?  How was that if you did?

We rented an RV and stayed in the RV part of the festival.  One of my son's college buddies and his ex-girlfriend (weird) slept in a tent on the RV site.  We had about a 10-15 min walk to Centeroo.  The logistics were incredible.  Although there were 15,000+ RV's, and we showed up at noon on Friday, and they searched every vehicle for glass containers, etc.. it took us less than an hour to go from first brake light in line to parking in our campsite!  And it took us about 10 minutes to leave late Sunday afternoon (missed Phil Lesh).  Incredible festival.  BTW, Oysterhead is a supergroup band made up of Trey Anastasio (Phish), Les Claypool (Primus) and Stewart Copeland (Police).  They put on quite a show.

Ted

mojoman

« Reply #151 on: 27 Jun 2006, 11:59 pm »
....  BTW, Oysterhead is a supergroup band made up of Trey Anastasio (Phish), Les Claypool (Primus) and Stewart Copeland (Police).  They put on quite a show.

Ted

Well, now I know why Wes liked Oysterhead  so much.  8)

The RV thing sounds like the way to go.  I'm got to plan on a trip next year.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #152 on: 28 Jun 2006, 02:18 am »
Just returned (Monday) from last weekend's Bonnaroo festival.  Wow!  Radiohead was like seeing the Beatles in '65!  I was in awe.  The show was a complete success, even though we were a bit right of the stage and 1/4th of the way back (103k people in attendance).  I cannot overemphasize how great it was, at age 52, to experience that concert with my 20 yr old son, the person who turned me on to them.  Oh, and Beck was the act before Radiohead (second time I saw Beck in past 12 months) and it was also a great show, puppets and all.  Elvis Costello and the Attractions w/ Allen Tousaint, was the afternoon show at the same large What Stage, and they put on a great set, but nowhere near the next two. 

We also saw a number of other bands, with Bright Eyes being a standout on Friday.  Others included Tom Petty and Buddy Guy.

All in all, a lifetime experience, except that it went so well, we'll likely go again next year.  8)
Bookmark this... http://blueroom.att.com/mainstage/index.php ....they will have archived footage from Bonnaro...the live webcast featuring Bright Eyes, SuperJam with Trey & Mike, and many more..... :rock:

mcrespo71

« Reply #153 on: 28 Jun 2006, 02:24 am »

Bookmark this... http://blueroom.att.com/mainstage/index.php ....they will have archived footage from Bonnaro...the live webcast featuring Bright Eyes, SuperJam with Trey & Mike, and many more..... :rock:

Bright Eyes channels my pathos :lol:

mojoman

« Reply #154 on: 1 Jul 2006, 09:49 pm »
I saw Phil Lesh and Friends this past Wednesday.  I wasn't going to go but had a chance to grab 4th row center seats so figured what the heck.  It was an excellent show and I have to say that Joan Osborne completely blew me away with her vocals.  I had no idea she could sing like that and I now have a whole new respect for her as a vocalist.

Occam

« Reply #155 on: 4 Jul 2006, 04:58 am »
I just saw Joe Jackson at the Town Hall this last Thursday in NYC. An amazing show! Just him at the piano and a drummer and bass guitarist, who'd been with him on his first three albums. Terrible legroom on the seats, but the music made up for it. He played 5 or 6 new songs and about 12 oldies. His single obligatory tribute song to a artist he admires, was Zappa's Give Me Your Dirty Love 'poodle bite, poodle chew'. The man sings like a strange angel, but sorta looks like one of the tall aliens in Close Encounters. Yes, he did do Is She Really Going Out With Him, but sadly no Sunday Papers

On Saturday night I saw Angelique Kidjo in the bandshell at Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Again, a good mix of the old and the new. I miss he old style when she had fellow Benin sidemen, but she's gone all 'international' with South American and Carribean sidemen. If I want to hear a Brazilian female, I listen to Margarith Menzes.... But her show was tremendously enjoyable, and I guess she has to sing to her current audience, which is primarily Park Slope lesbians.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #156 on: 4 Jul 2006, 11:16 am »
St. Louis Jazz Fest last weekend.  Got there later than I wanted to but still got to hear:

George Duke with Stanley Clark's group.
David Sanborn (smokin! - back to his old self)

Bryan

ted_b

• Volunteer
« Reply #157 on: 4 Jul 2006, 02:15 pm »
I saw Paul Simon on the first leg of his new tour.  We had great 12th row center seats at a small outdoor pavilion in Cleveland's Flats warehouse district.  His band was very very good (Steve Gadd as one of two drummers), and Paul looked genuinely touched and humble as he welcomed all the applause and love and appreciation.  He did a few new ones from Surprise (great album that is difficult to perform live, so Paul changed it up a bit), picked well from his solo catalog (Lincoln Duncan was a highlight) and did Only Living Boy in NY, Cecelia and The Boxer from his days with what's-his-name.   I was hoping for Hurricane Eye from You're The One (his rendition on the Live in Paris DVD is great) and a couple more from the S&G days, but all in all a great setlist.

However, the acoustics were not good in that place (it's not an amphitheater).  Also, several in the 50-something crowd (my age) couldn't handle when the newer gen crowd wanted to stand and dance a lot to the songs (we stood 100% at Bonnaroo Festival, for instance, but enjoyed the dancing).  Also, two late-50's couples sat directly behind us and the men talked through every song.  The acoustics were such that we heard them very well, and the music not so good.  We had to turn around and remind them they were at a concert several times.  What a PITA.  But by the end of the concert, the newer gen won over the fogies and we were all up dancing and clapping.

Net/net, the ears got used to the acoustics as the night went on, we went with good friends, and a great time was had by all.

PeteG

« Reply #158 on: 4 Jul 2006, 02:45 pm »
Went to Tom Petty/Pearl Jam concert, very good show had a good time, I was very surprised how good the Heartbreakers sounded they were awesome.

Petty and the boys celebrated their 30th anniversary and after all that time
they can still ROCK the place  :drums:

Pete

Kim S.

« Reply #159 on: 6 Jul 2006, 01:33 pm »
Last night I went to see Cheap Trick at Interlochen fine arts camp in Michigan.  They were very good.  The Interlochen venue was nice, but perhaps a little too wholesome for a rock concert.  No alchohol, but concession stands for pop,coffee, ice cream and other sweets.   They would not even let you take their own concessions inside the concert area.  I thought this must be what rock concerts in Saudi Arabia must be like.

On stage Cheap Trick had a vintage amp that was interresting.  It was about 5-6 ft tall.  The speaker box and top were both trapezoid shaped.  It looked very art deco.  There was a brand name on the speaker box but I was not close enough to read it.  I wonder if anyone here knows what type of amp it was.  Does Cheap Trick actually play through it or is it there for decor