DAC help much appreciated

audio-heaven

DAC help much appreciated
« on: 12 Jul 2007, 04:16 pm »
Hi everyone, this is my first post here I have been lurking around for some time and this looks like a great place full of friendly and knowledgeable people.

I am hoping for some help in a decision I have to make, Unfortunately my Perpetual Technologies P1A digital correction engine has finally given up on me :cry: I still have the Modwright level 2 signature P3a upsampling dac that partnered the P1a. But now the P1a has died the P3a is no where near as good alone as both were in combination.

So I now I am looking for a new DAC that can rival the Perpetual Tech gear or at least doesn't make me feel I am loosing too much in the way of sound quality in the process. I am looking to DIY it this time due to budget constraints.

The biggest problem is lack of money I’ve seriously been considering a RAKK DAC MKII   : http://www.kandkaudio.com/digitalaudio.html
It is a new model so there is very little information out there regarding how it sounds has anyone here heard this DAC? Or even better has anyone here heard the P1a P3a combination V's a RAKK DAC MKI or MKII? I would love to hear how they stack up against each other.

Although I have only owned oversampling DAC's in recent years my mind is totally open regarding non oversampling DAC’s  I don't really  care which technology I use as long as I get the kind of sound I want.

The kind of sound I am after is as realistic as possible within my budget which is around $700. I would love something with good soundstage depth, clean deep bass, good amounts of detail, ability to display tonal colour but above all the ability to convey the emotion in music. I not asking for much am I :lol:

I think you could say my system is quite revealing for it’s budget, I have ATC SCM12 speakers, a highly modified Denon 2900 universal DVD player with Audiocom Superclock 4, An as yet unmodified Squeezebox v3, A Benchmark DAC 1, 2 passive TVC preamps one is a Promethius audio reference and the other is a home made Music First with Elma Switches, a DIY SS mono block power amp around 200 watts to run those quite insensitive ATC's, and a temporarily out of action (one dead amp module) DIY Hypex 400ad mono block Power amp (I hope to get the new high grade modules one day) and lastly a DIY mains filter with isolation transformers.

If anyone can think of a DAC that will meet my requirements I would love your help and advice in choosing something to replace my P1a P3a combo, there are so many different DAC’s out there, plus I have no hope of getting to listen to a DIY DAC before hand so I thought I’d  ask you good people for some pointers and opinions ect.

I am not closed to the idea of buying a ready made DAC but I think I can get better value with a DIY one.

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

1000a

Re: DAC help much appreciated
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2007, 04:30 pm »
pushing budget a hair- but I have seen a used Monarchy NM24 for 875.? (its a tube DAC & a SS DAC in one box)

the older version the M24 I have seen for about the same money, new its 980 + 30. to ship.

I have the NM24 and run the SS DAC to my sub, this piece should meet your audio reguirements- but is not at coorect price. tone excellent, stage excelent, musical all good- the M24s bass is not as tight- if using the SS DAC to sub w the NM24.

worth a read?  see following-

check Lynn Oslon's review of the earlier M24 Tube DAC (sans the SS DAC)
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/monarchy_m24.htm

I am loosely quoting here;.........said it played easily right beside a big very high $$$$ TT rig. was not in the least embrassed in that situation.

check Martin De Wulf's review of the M24 (sans the SS DAC) in Bound for Sound
http://www.monarchyaudio.com/

I am loosely quoting here also;........thinks it bettered a Dodson DAC and easily competed and beat in some areas a 17,000. Reimyo CDP, except in ultimate bass.  says the better the transport gets the better the 24 gets, cost no object transports are no problem for the M24.

samplesj

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2007, 05:29 pm »
I'm confused, it looks like you listed a dac already.  You've got a Benchmark DAC1 in your list.  Do you want a second dac (because it is in a different system)?  To me the Benchmark is a very good dac.

I used to have a P1A, Modwright full mods P3A, and a Modwright full mods P3 (power supply).  When I bought my Benchmark I felt like it was an improvement.

However I've since build a HagTech Chime (Jim Hagerman has a circle here too if you want more info).  It easily beats the Benchmark.  There isn't a single aspect where the Benchmark wins.  I've sold the DAC1 in the past month, but I had them together for several months and did several comparasion between them.

Now the Chime may not fit in your budget.  It all depends on what you've already got on hand.  Just the raw main board and completed dac board is $499.  Then you've got to buy a case and assorted main board parts.  The product page claims $850 all in, but if you had stuff on hand it might come out cheaper.  Its worth looking at the part list and seeing where you can use existing stock from your workbench.

Here is the product page http://www.hagtech.com/chime.html.

tanchiro58

« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:03 pm »
I am not closed to the idea of buying a ready made DAC but I think I can get better value with a DIY one.

You should go to Audiogon and order yourself a Promitheus DAC (not a DIY one). I got one and it fit my budget and my taste. A real good DAC I should say. If you have ATC speakers you not only need a real power amp but also a power source like Promitheus DAC which is great bang for less buck too. Your taste of choosing DAC just like mine. Give yourself some times to talk to Nicholas Chua who is very helpful. I can see you got a Promitheus Reference TVC. :thumb:

audio-heaven

« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:29 pm »
pushing budget a hair- but I have seen a used Monarchy NM24 for 875.? (its a tube DAC & a SS DAC in one box)

the older version the M24 I have seen for about the same money, new its 980 + 30. to ship.

I have the NM24 and run the SS DAC to my sub, this piece should meet your audio reguirements- but is not at coorect price. tone excellent, stage excelent, musical all good- the M24s bass is not as tight- if using the SS DAC to sub w the NM24.

worth a read?  see following-

check Lynn Oslon's review of the earlier M24 Tube DAC (sans the SS DAC)
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue25/monarchy_m24.htm

I am loosely quoting here;.........said it played easily right beside a big very high $$$$ TT rig. was not in the least embrassed in that situation.

check Martin De Wulf's review of the M24 (sans the SS DAC) in Bound for Sound
http://www.monarchyaudio.com/

I am loosely quoting here also;........thinks it bettered a Dodson DAC and easily competed and beat in some areas a 17,000. Reimyo CDP, except in ultimate bass.  says the better the transport gets the better the 24 gets, cost no object transports are no problem for the M24.

Thanks for recommendation, the Monarchy DAC looks like an amazing bargain but it is quite a bit more money than I was thinking of spending, the main problem is I live in the UK and the only UK distributor for Monarchy Audio doesn't seem to stock the M24 DAC but even worse the price in the US is effectively doubled here! If I found a used model or a US dealer willing to ship to the UK I would have duty and taxes to pay on top, that was one of the reasons I was looking at a DIY option.

I do like the descriptions of what the Monarchy DAC is said to sound like especially the liquid midrange :drool:I am a fan of Analogue sound forced to use digital so this DAC looks like it might fit well in my system.
I am after hearing about as many options you guys can give me :D

I have bought audio gear from the US many times so I am quite happy to do it again.

Thanks again

audio-heaven

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:30 pm »
I'm confused, it looks like you listed a dac already.  You've got a Benchmark DAC1 in your list.  Do you want a second dac (because it is in a different system)?  To me the Benchmark is a very good dac.

I used to have a P1A, Modwright full mods P3A, and a Modwright full mods P3 (power supply).  When I bought my Benchmark I felt like it was an improvement.

However I've since build a HagTech Chime (Jim Hagerman has a circle here too if you want more info).  It easily beats the Benchmark.  There isn't a single aspect where the Benchmark wins.  I've sold the DAC1 in the past month, but I had them together for several months and did several comparasion between them.

Now the Chime may not fit in your budget.  It all depends on what you've already got on hand.  Just the raw main board and completed dac board is $499.  Then you've got to buy a case and assorted main board parts.  The product page claims $850 all in, but if you had stuff on hand it might come out cheaper.  Its worth looking at the part list and seeing where you can use existing stock from your workbench.

Here is the product page http://www.hagtech.com/chime.html.
You’re right :D I do intend on using my Benchmark DAC 1 on another system I’m having a pair of single ended triode monoblock tube amps made for me :drool: and I know the Benchmark will suit them very nicely.

It is for my big rig SS system I’m wanting the new dac for and because it’s solid state I am looking for a sweet analogue sounding DAC, I liked my modified P1a and P3a but I thought they could be more emotionally engaging in my SS system.
Unfortunately I have a restricted budget to achieve my goal.

I will check out the HagTech Chime it looks to be within my budget at a stretch thanks very much for your recommendation if it beats the Benchmark it must be VERY good.

audio-heaven

« Reply #6 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:33 pm »

You should go to Audiogon and order yourself a Promitheus DAC (not a DIY one). I got one and it fit my budget and my taste. A real good DAC I should say. If you have ATC speakers you not only need a real power amp but also a power source like Promitheus DAC which is great bang for less buck too. Your taste of choosing DAC just like mine. Give yourself some times to talk to Nicholas Chua who is very helpful. I can see you got a Promitheus Reference TVC. :thumb:

I was looking with interest on the Promitheus DAC thread on this forum I am very pleased with my Promi TVC :D so it is an option I am interested in how is it at conveying emotion I love it when your Hi Fi can make grown men cry :drool:
Also how is it with separation between instruments clarity bass ect? as you can tell I’m very curious :lol:

Thanks for your help

BTW I am VERY interested in Nicks statement double C core TVC he has in the works :drool: sorry to go off topic :D

mcullinan

« Reply #7 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:34 pm »
I have a Lavry DA-10 DAC and love it sweet and analougeey. I never see them for sale used, maybe no one owns them hehe.
Mike

audio-heaven

« Reply #8 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:41 pm »
I have a Lavry DA-10 DAC and love it sweet and analougeey. I never see them for sale used, maybe no one owns them hehe.
Mike

Cool I'm glad you love the Lavry I have heard some good things about that DAC but I think it's a little outta my Price range at the moment unfortunately, I think it cost even more than the Benchmark DAC1 am I right?

I hope to hear a Lavrey one of these days, thanks for the recommendation though :D

tanchiro58

« Reply #9 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:55 pm »
Also how is it with separation between instruments clarity bass ect? as you can tell I’m very curious Laughing

You got me. I have been looking for this kind of DAC since I was starting to this hobby many years ago. I also love the analog sounding system but I had to give up. That is why my friend built my whole SET system except the source (anyways I am listening right now to a prototype tube DAC they will build one for me). But if you are looking an analog sounding DAC but less detailed seperation you should get the MHDT Paradisea and modify it.

mcullinan

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jul 2007, 06:58 pm »
Yes they are about the same price.
Mike

audio-heaven

« Reply #11 on: 13 Jul 2007, 07:04 pm »
Yes they are about the same price.
Mike

I was wondering Mike have you heard the Benchmark DAC1 against your Lavry? And if you have what areas do think the Lavry does things better?
I am curious because I have a Benchmark myself but I haven't heard the Lavry D10.
From what I've read on other boards some think the Lavry has a more musical sound with better separation and is a bit cleaner sounding than the Benchmark.

The thing I'm not getting with my SS amp is much emotion coming through which is the reason I am looking for a dac which will better suit my SS amp and give me a more fulfilling sound.
If you think the Lavry has some of the qualities I am looking for then I owe it to myself to check it out, if I can get one on loan that is :D

The Benchmark is destined to be used with my new tube amps when they are finished :D

Loftprojection

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2007, 12:15 am »
For what it's worth, the new Benchmark DAC1 USB is supposed to be a notch above the old version.  Never heard the DAC1 or the Lavry but I have to admit that this new DAC1 USB is tempting me!  :green:  I currently have a Paradisea with Bendix tube, incredible DAC for the price so I'm still a bit reluctant to try my luck on the DAC1!

audio-heaven

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2007, 12:37 pm »
For what it's worth, the new Benchmark DAC1 USB is supposed to be a notch above the old version.  Never heard the DAC1 or the Lavry but I have to admit that this new DAC1 USB is tempting me!  :green:  I currently have a Paradisea with Bendix tube, incredible DAC for the price so I'm still a bit reluctant to try my luck on the DAC1!

During my several years owning the Benchmark DAC1 it has always sounded at it's best to me when partnered with tube amps, it was also VERY good with my modified Sugden A21a Class A power amp the extra sweetness and body seemed to gel very well with the Benchmark DAC, I have never really liked it much on my Solid State amps for me it just seems to lack the Magic and emotion I got with the other types amplifiers I mentioned.
Hope this helps if you decide to buy one :D

Loftprojection

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2007, 09:16 pm »

During my several years owning the Benchmark DAC1 it has always sounded at it's best to me when partnered with tube amps, it was also VERY good with my modified Sugden A21a Class A power amp the extra sweetness and body seemed to gel very well with the Benchmark DAC, I have never really liked it much on my Solid State amps for me it just seems to lack the Magic and emotion I got with the other types amplifiers I mentioned.
Hope this helps if you decide to buy one :D

Ya, that doesn't surprise me, I think a lot of oversampling DACs and CDP play at their best when coupled with tube amps.  I have a hybrid Audio Aero, the tube in it brings a bit of sweetness.   :green:

Rocket

« Reply #15 on: 15 Jul 2007, 12:35 pm »
Hi,

Have you thought about sending the p1a to av123 for repair?

Regards

Rod

audio-heaven

« Reply #16 on: 18 Jul 2007, 04:31 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone :thumb: I decided to go for the RAKK DAC MkII in the end it suited my budget and I enjoy doing the DIY thing :D

boead