The NFL Season, 17-18

macrojack

• Restricted
Re: The NFL Season, 17-18
« Reply #380 on: 15 Jun 2018, 03:01 pm »
Beautiful rings!
Worn by the right team!
In my not so humble opinion! 8) :lol:
"Not so humble", in this case, means clearly biased.

And of course they're the right team --- their name is engraved right on the ring in plain view --- just like all 51 teams who preceded them.
This coming season will probably go to the Chargers. They are building a new stadium and Phil Lip Rivers has never won the big game. The team is greatly improved and Rivers is due for a Hall of Fame season. I suspect this will be it. Which NFC team will they be beating in February? Could it be the Curt Cousins led Vikes? 

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #381 on: 15 Jun 2018, 07:51 pm »

This coming season will probably go to the Chargers. They are building a new stadium and Phil Lip Rivers has never won the big game. The team is greatly improved and Rivers is due for a Hall of Fame season. I suspect this will be it. Which NFC team will they be beating in February? Could it be the Curt Cousins led Vikes?

:rotflmao:

charmerci

« Reply #382 on: 16 Jun 2018, 12:22 am »

"World" Champions?

Just a pet peeve of mine :lol:

Yes, there's simply not another team in the entire world that would beat an NFL championship team - same goes for the NBA and NHL.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #383 on: 16 Jun 2018, 05:59 am »

Yes, there's simply not another team in the entire world that would beat an NFL championship team...

Outside of Canada and the USA, who else plays the game? Football that is.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #384 on: 16 Jun 2018, 10:43 am »
There's a number of club leagues throughout the world, any one of them is cordially invited to charter their own professional league and challenge the Super Bowl winner for world championship.  Until that day, the Eagles are World Champions!

Emil

« Reply #385 on: 16 Jun 2018, 11:42 am »
I  see you guys left out baseball :D

"World" Series. Really?

The claim that the championship games were sponsored by "The World" newspaper is false

macrojack

• Restricted
« Reply #386 on: 16 Jun 2018, 12:30 pm »
There's a number of club leagues throughout the world, any one of them is cordially invited to charter their own professional league and challenge the Super Bowl winner for world championship.  Until that day, the Eagles are World Champions!
I submit that in order to make a claim like "world series" you need to host a tournament that includes the whole world --- like World Cup Soccer. Otherwise we come off as delusional about our prowess. While I agree that it is very unlikely any other team outside the U.S. could beat ANY NFL team, I submit that you can't even be sure the Eagles would win a rematch. After all, the games was decided by a mere 8 points. If Brady hadn't dropped that pass, there is every possibility that the outcome might have been reversed.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Eagles, but they didn't dominate. You guys were biting your nails right up to the final few minutes --- admit it. As Bill Parcells told his players, "when you get in the end zone, act like you've been there before. Same goes for winning the Super Bowl , even if you haven't been there before.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #387 on: 16 Jun 2018, 03:35 pm »
I submit that in order to make a claim like "world series" you need to host a tournament that includes the whole world --- like World Cup Soccer. Otherwise we come off as delusional about our prowess.

A great and honest observation.  :thumb:

charmerci

« Reply #388 on: 16 Jun 2018, 07:36 pm »
Outside of Canada and the USA, who else plays the game? Football that is.

Australia and Europe. There are leagues in several countries, the ones that I know of are in England, France, Spain and Germany. Yes, they are professional teams.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #389 on: 17 Jun 2018, 01:07 pm »
I submit that in order to make a claim like "world series" you need to host a tournament that includes the whole world --- like World Cup Soccer. Otherwise we come off as delusional about our prowess. While I agree that it is very unlikely any other team outside the U.S. could beat ANY NFL team, I submit that you can't even be sure the Eagles would win a rematch. After all, the games was decided by a mere 8 points. If Brady hadn't dropped that pass, there is every possibility that the outcome might have been reversed.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Eagles, but they didn't dominate. You guys were biting your nails right up to the final few minutes --- admit it. As Bill Parcells told his players, "when you get in the end zone, act like you've been there before. Same goes for winning the Super Bowl , even if you haven't been there before.

Having a close game doesn't invalidate the results, it makes it better.  The paradigm would be a hard fought game between two great teams coming down to a pivotal play or two, I mean it is a spectator sport supported by the fans, you wouldn't want a blowout every championship game.  No one sided victory is ever listed in the top ten games of any sport.  Should the Patriots return their trophy for only beating the Eagles by three points in the previous super bowl they played in?

And none of that has the slightest bearing on world championships and whether any non NFL team, or non NBA, NHL, or MLB team, could even stay on the field/court/rink with our professional teams.  I don't see any other countries demanding a playoff.  And throughout the world players at the top of their sport come here to play, nobody says, "No thanks, I'd rather stay in Slovenia and play here".  The Eagles are World Champions no matter how much anyone may rail against it.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #390 on: 17 Jun 2018, 02:26 pm »
Australia and Europe. There are leagues in several countries, the ones that I know of are in England, France, Spain and Germany. Yes, they are professional teams.

By football I don't mean soccer, so if we're on the same page (and I think we are) that is really interesting. Since they call soccer football, what do they call what we claim is football?

charmerci

« Reply #391 on: 17 Jun 2018, 07:37 pm »
By football I don't mean soccer, so if we're on the same page (and I think we are) that is really interesting. Since they call soccer football, what do they call what we claim is football?

American football.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #392 on: 17 Jun 2018, 08:10 pm »
Cool, I'll have to look into that.

Rob Babcock

• Volunteer
« Reply #393 on: 26 Aug 2018, 08:47 am »
Heck, while we're pouring on the hyperbole, why stop at World Champs?  Who in the Milky Way Galaxy could beat them?  Galactic Football Champs! :lol:  I suppose that in many other sports when they have a "world championship" they actually invite other countries to play as well. :wink:

Apropos of nothing, it was cool to see Andrew Luck throw a TD pass!  I care nothing at all for the Colts, couldn't name another player on the team, but clearly Luck is a talented fellow.  It was sad to see such a young guy have his career derailed by injury, especially a fellow with as much potential as he has.  Hopefully he's shaken off the issues with his shoulder (and psyche) and is ready to play this year.