Am I a Swiftie? (Or I just watched Americana Girl)

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Am I a Swiftie? (Or I just watched Americana Girl)
« on: 18 Oct 2023, 02:53 pm »
I know nothing of Taylor Swift, her music, her career, or her as a person.  I liked her country music stuff a little, very approachable, and I liked her in that movie, what was the name of it?  But she went pop star and I was out.

So when perusing Netflix desperately trying for something to watch there was Americana Girl, an in house Swift bio piece.  It touched on her origins, the Kanye West incident, her lost year.  But what interested me was an inside look into her songwriting.  I understand Swifties now, she's a very talented, nuanced song writer who writes in that personal style of Joni Mitchell or Janis Ian.  When you buy into Ms Swift you buy in to her whole life, and how it relates to your life.  I found myself liking some of the hits.  I won't be buying an album, but I might stream some of her songs.

She was very introspective and self aware.  She knows she has a shelf life.  She said that all women in entertainment that have good looks as part of the appeal all go to the elephant grave yard that is 35 years old, so she's going to get as far as she can until people don't want to see her anymore.  And she stopped starving herself to fit the public's image of what she should look like.  She's accepted her body type, still works out to be fit, but eats healthy and it goes where it goes.  Very refreshing.  Am I a Swiftie now?  Not really, but I do recommend the documentary.

mcgsxr

Re: Am I a Swiftie? (Or I just watched Americana Girl)
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2023, 05:11 pm »
My daughters want to see the upcoming Toronto show - but at roughly 5-7K for tickets I suspect seeing her upcoming movie will have to do instead.

I enjoy some of Taylor's hits, but don't follow her etc. 

My wife and daughters will 100% see this flick before Xmas, not sure I would go to that but would likely watch the film Letitroll98 is mentioning.

charmerci

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2023, 08:13 pm »
Maybe I'll watch it. But at work, when the young ones put on new music, I'll eventually say - to myself - "what is this terrible music?" and when I look the music player....

Mike B.

« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2023, 08:36 pm »
It's funny my only exposure was her on TV early in her career on a show called Cross Roads on CMT. It paired he with Def Leopard. She was impressive belting out some of their hits. I heard a few of her country songs and that has been it. Easy to tell she was talented.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2023, 09:42 pm »
I like everything about Taylor Swift, except her music.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2023, 10:18 pm »
I'm hard core.
I still haven't watched the Barbie movie.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2023, 11:11 pm »
I thought she was a country singer as Mean Mary and went to listen your hits on YT now, so I was surprised how her voice are awful. Its difficult for me like modern female singers, after Chuck Berry invented Rock&Roll I only liked Janis Joplin and Grace Slick, Pop singers are especially bad because the auto-tune and the bad songs, but Jazz female singers dont lag behind in badness like Aretha, Ella, Diana Krall.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic8j13piAhQ

VinceT

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2023, 11:26 pm »
but Jazz female singers dont lag behind in badness like Aretha, Ella, Diana Krall.

:o

That video is a tough listen, but to lump those three with Taylor Swift.... :nono:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #8 on: 18 Oct 2023, 11:52 pm »
That video is a tough listen, but to lump those three with Taylor Swift.... :nono:
I see your point, Iam some picky in female singers by the way they sound in a boxed Midrange/tweeter, but I like Doris Day, Debora Kerr, Chordettes, Ronettes, Chantels, Dione Warwick etc.

VinceT

« Reply #9 on: 19 Oct 2023, 12:08 am »
I see your point, Iam some picky in female singers by the way they sound in a boxed Midrange/tweeter, but I like Doris Day, Debora Kerr, Chordettes, Ronettes, Chantels, Dione Warwick etc.

Aretha Franklin is one of those female singers I can really listen to if the music is well recorded.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #10 on: 19 Oct 2023, 01:37 pm »
Swift is a talented song writer, but her voice is mediocre at best. She definitely is a very smart woman the way she presents and markets herself.

Give me Ann Wilson from Heart any day.  Eva Cassidy has to have the best voice of any female singer though.