Greatest potential for improvement?

Zuman

Greatest potential for improvement?
« on: 2 Mar 2021, 08:45 pm »
Hello, all. I'm very happy with my mid-level system, but always on the lookout for improvements when they are a) real, and b) reasonably cost-effective.
I currently run a NAD M50.2 as a Roon endpoint, with a coax feed to a Peachtree Nova 125SE integrated amp with built-in DAC, powering CSS Criton 2TD-X speakers (ported, M-T-M layout with high-spec crossover and drivers and very well-braced enclosures) via Canare 4s-11 cables. The speakers sit on sand-filled, spiked Pangea stands, with IsoAcoustics OREA Indigo isolation pucks between the speakers and the stands.
Most of my music library is either sourced from CDs ripped directly into the NAD or downloaded hi-res music files.
So...I've never owned a separate DAC. How would you compare the potential sonic gains from upgrading the DAC from the Peachtree's internal ESS Sabre 24-bit/192kHz upsampling digital-to-analog converter vs alternative approaches?
Thanks!
« Last Edit: 3 Mar 2021, 02:37 am by Zuman »

Anji12305

Re: Greatest potential for improvement?
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2021, 07:07 pm »
The weak link in your system is the Peachtree unit, which was groundbreaking in it's day but is now measurably noisier than less expensive replacements.

My suggestion is expensive, the NAD M33.
This replaces two pieces of gear, likely at a loss to you. 

The interface will be familiar, and the performance is measurably better.  Simplifying the datastream tends to improve most systems.

Runner up is replacing the Peachtree amp with a MiniDSP Studio "Power" at $1500 USD and selling off only the Peachtree amp.

Third choice would be a new DAC but keeping both front end units.  (I'm not in favor of making the datastream longer.)

My favorite DACs - the outrageously good RME ADI-2 fs or the MiniDSP SHD studio.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 5 Apr 2021, 02:10 pm »
What is your room and setup like?  Obviously I put much importance in both.  For instance moving loudspeakers and/or listening position could make a big difference for free.  Adding absorption could also make an improvement.  And no way to produce deep bass or address bass peaks/dips from your listing. 

Have heard the CSS loudspeakers, very nice for kits but your weak link as far as the listed gear goes.  Am not a fan of MTM design.  But am hesitant to pick loudspeakers without knowing more.  Am a fan of active monitors.

Seems like the NAD 50.2/Roon is the overkill of the bunch here.  If you're paying annually for Roon you could drop it and save money.  To modify what Anji12305 said, a NAD M10 would provide the same features and similar performance to the M33 at about half the cost.  Just add a hard drive and replace the NAD M50.2 and Peachtree 125SE with either. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 5 Apr 2021, 03:36 pm »
Hello, all. I'm very happy with my mid-level system, but always on the lookout for improvements when they are a) real, and b) reasonably cost-effective.
I currently run a NAD M50.2 as a Roon endpoint, with a coax feed to a Peachtree Nova 125SE integrated amp with built-in DAC, powering CSS Criton 2TD-X speakers (ported, M-T-M layout with high-spec crossover and drivers and very well-braced enclosures) via Canare 4s-11 cables. The speakers sit on sand-filled, spiked Pangea stands, with IsoAcoustics OREA Indigo isolation pucks between the speakers and the stands.
Most of my music library is either sourced from CDs ripped directly into the NAD or downloaded hi-res music files.
So...I've never owned a separate DAC. How would you compare the potential sonic gains from upgrading the DAC from the Peachtree's internal ESS Sabre 24-bit/192kHz upsampling digital-to-analog converter vs alternative approaches?
Thanks!

HUGE !!Just try and you will know. Then depends on which DAC of course. Garbage in garbage out they say.

charles