***Desktop Speakers***

Peter J

• Hmmmm
***Desktop Speakers***
« on: 21 Feb 2012, 01:16 am »
Hi all, indulge me here a little, I'm a better cabinetmaker than speaker designer.

I have this idea to build a pair of small speakers for desktop. My thought is to build a mini version of Danny's omni design.  There was a thread a while back about using a Tang Band 3"  in a  small enclosure which got  me thinking.... well you know how that goes.

This wouldn't be a critical listening setup, just a step up from the ho-hum HK 2.1 setup I have now. I'd probably use one of the little T-amps from Parts Express and an old Velodyne F10 sub I have. Mostly it gives me an excuse to build something cool looking, which is where my interest really lies.

Questions are; Is the idea at all viable?  Does anyone here want to conspire on the design leading to the woodworking part, which is where my strength and interest are?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: ***Desktop Speakers***
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2012, 03:16 am »
If you want something that simple you could just get a pair of car stereo speakers. 

Although I'm sure Danny has better ideas.

skeeter99

« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:52 am »
What about picking up one of the Lepai amps from PE, I have one running my desktop setup now, and a couple pairs of the buyout Tang Band W3-881si's? I have two pair I'm breaking in down in the basement right now. Maybe build a small set of ported enclosures for them tuned to 100hz or so then cross them over to your sub. Could be a fun little project.  :thumb:

Scott

PMAT

« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:58 am »
Build it, then build it again but better. The justification is simple...... because you can!!! LS-9 computer speakers.  :D

pureiso

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2012, 12:40 pm »
How big of speakers are you thinking about?  Personally, I have been interested in making a smallish speaker using the Loki coax speaker.  Would make a fine center channel too I would think...

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2012, 03:17 pm »
How big of speakers are you thinking about?  Personally, I have been interested in making a smallish speaker using the Loki coax speaker.  Would make a fine center channel too I would think...

My thinking was to use very small drivers (2"- 4")in a tall skinny enclosure, something less than 5" and probably 12-16" high, driver facing up.  I'm thinking the difuse imaging would  work better than trying to position front firing on a desktop.
The Loki looks like an interesting driver

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:38 pm »
That is an interesting idea.

Facing one up and one forward would keep the highs from cancelling each other out and that is where the problem is when using more than one full range driver.

I have been thinking of this for a while, BTW.

The lows would couple and increase bottom end output, and that would give you back some of the baffle step loss.

If you build one and send it to me, Ill measure it for you so you can see what it does. You just have to cover the shipping cost.

skeeter99

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2012, 04:50 pm »

Facing one up and one forward would keep the highs from cancelling each other out and that is where the problem is when using more than one full range driver.

The lows would couple and increase bottom end output, and that would give you back some of the baffle step loss.

If you build one and send it to me, Ill measure it for you so you can see what it does. You just have to cover the shipping cost.

I'm considering doing this exact same thing but with towers and using them as surrounds. I was thinking of doing the "cap trick" that you discussed here: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83025.msg802021#msg802021 and having the front facing driver be the one running the high frequencies, almost similar to the X-Omni's and your O-3's.

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:41 pm »
That's a good trick, but the one covering the highs will have to face forward. The upward facing driver will act like a front firing driver with an inductor in line with it. As frequency increases the output level will drop right out.

skeeter99

« Reply #9 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:48 pm »
That's a good trick, but the one covering the highs will have to face forward. The upward facing driver will act like a front firing driver with an inductor in line with it. As frequency increases the output level will drop right out.

Yeah that's what I said, front facing the one running the high frequencies  :D

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:55 pm »
Yeah that's what I said, front facing the one running the high frequencies  :D

Oh yeah.  :oops:

skeeter99

« Reply #11 on: 21 Feb 2012, 05:57 pm »
Oh yeah.  :oops:

You definitely had me questioning what I said though. Did I say it right?? LOL! Anyway, didn't mean to hijack the thread, sorry about that!

Doublej

« Reply #12 on: 21 Feb 2012, 06:11 pm »

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #13 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:06 pm »

I'm down with that, Danny, but honestly, when I look at all the 3" full rangers on Parts Express I just don't know how best to evaluate them as good candidates, that's where I'm seeking guidance.

With some drivers it looks like price could get so high that it'd make more sense to build something bigger and likely better...my thought would be to keep it cheap and cheerful. Maybe it would help to define some parameters, price per driver could be a good place to start.

I guess I see this as a fairly simple build that perhaps many could do once a little design and prototyping is done. Where's the sweet spot, everybody? I'd like to see total material cost at something less than $150 give or take, is that doable?

WC

« Reply #14 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:29 pm »
Dave at Planet 10 has been designing some enclosures for some of the larger full range drivers. He might have an idea of which drivers would be best.

Danny Richie

« Reply #15 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:40 pm »
My favorite of the ones I tested weer these:

http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1208_03/w3-871sc.htm

No one carries them though.

These are a close second:

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-819s.pdf

They are also pretty inexpensive.

Also pretty good:

http://www.parts-express.com/pdf/264-809s.pdf

skeeter99

« Reply #16 on: 21 Feb 2012, 09:57 pm »
These ones are a tad more than the TB options but I'm running the 4 ohm versions on my desk right now and really like them. My dad has the 8 ohm version in some small towers and a center and they work fantastic as well. They're technically a 4" driver but they go pretty low and play plenty loud and I'm powering them with a little Lepai amp.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-352

Scott

jeffh

« Reply #17 on: 21 Feb 2012, 10:20 pm »
Check out some of the Mark Audio drivers at Madisound.  There are a lot a builds at diyaudio with the CHR70 and the CHP70.

skeeter99

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2012, 10:27 pm »
Check out some of the Mark Audio drivers at Madisound.  There are a lot a builds at diyaudio with the CHR70 and the CHP70.

The MA drivers are great. My front stage right now are the Alpair12's in SuperPensil cabinets and a Mar-Ken12 shallow center. If the OP wants a small speaker the flange may be an issue as they're pretty large. If its not a big issue the CHR or CHP drivers are supposed to be great bang for the buck.

Scott

mpauly

« Reply #19 on: 22 Feb 2012, 10:41 pm »
Timely thread as I'm looking for some office speakers and a small integrated.  Anyone have cabinet/crossover designs for some of these drivers?  Any worth integrating with a small sub (have an 8" XLS sub sitting doing nothing).