Bryston/Magnepan

jrc

Bryston/Magnepan
« on: 9 Jan 2009, 02:47 am »
Any information on the Bryston/Magnepan setup at CES?

Ron D

Re: Bryston/Magnepan
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jan 2009, 06:47 pm »
taken from a post over at AA:

"Best sound so far? Well, no doubt about this one. Magnepan had a huge screen blocking the view of some new speakers they are coming to market with. We listened to the ten minute demo and could not see what we were hearing. As a magnepan owner, very familiar with the Maggie sound, I thought they sounded MUCH better then my 1.6s, whatever they were. Very open, warm, lifelike and spacious. The bass was deep, tight and full. So the demo ends and they ask what we think before unveiling them from the curtain. They sounded so good, I honestly thought we were listening to a new flagship speaker from them. Nope. Lights came on and back there were a pair of the smallest and cutest maggies Ive ever seen. Maybe a foot high and six inches wide on top of some two foot stands!!! The company is dumbfounded by what they have designed (they actually stumbled on to it by trying to make computer speakers for the desktop) and has no idea how to price or market
them because they also feel they are better then half their lineup. They asked us for help!!!!! Basically they are using the true ribbon tweeter and midrange used in their flagship speaker, but on a tiny scale! The mini maggies only go down to 300 hertz so They also used in the demo two magnepan woofers, for the bass, which are basically hunks off the 20.1 flagship. The planar magnetic woofers will list for 500 dollars and are passive and go to 40 hertz. This demo had myself, Bob and Jeff literally flipping out. Its all we talked about at dinner. Magnepan has no idea on how to price the mini maggies so I dont know what they will list for Other will be inexpensive though because of what a consumers perception of what your getting size wise) but Im already thinking of how to sell my huge 1.6 maggies so I can get these dinky things!!!!! Goes to show again that small and simple monitors like this one are the way to go sometimes."

steve k

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jan 2009, 08:11 pm »
That's awesome and just when we thought Magnepan was out of new ideas other than HT speakers!!

vegasdave

• My online rock magazine-Crypt Magazine
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2009, 11:58 pm »
Very interesting. They were powered by a pair of 28BSST², I believe.

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:19 pm »

"Best sound so far? Well, no doubt about this one. Magnepan had a huge screen blocking the view of some new speakers they are coming to market with. We listened to the ten minute demo and could not see what we were hearing. As a magnepan owner, very familiar with the Maggie sound, I thought they sounded MUCH better then my 1.6s, whatever they were. Very open, warm, lifelike and spacious. The bass was deep, tight and full. So the demo ends and they ask what we think before unveiling them from the curtain. They sounded so good, I honestly thought we were listening to a new flagship speaker from them. Nope. Lights came on and back there were a pair of the smallest and cutest maggies Ive ever seen. Maybe a foot high and six inches wide on top of some two foot stands!!! The company is dumbfounded by what they have designed (they actually stumbled on to it by trying to make computer speakers for the desktop) and has no idea how to price or market
them because they also feel they are better then half their lineup. They asked us for help!!!!! Basically they are using the true ribbon tweeter and midrange used in their flagship speaker, but on a tiny scale! The mini maggies only go down to 300 hertz so They also used in the demo two magnepan woofers, for the bass, which are basically hunks off the 20.1 flagship. The planar magnetic woofers will list for 500 dollars and are passive and go to 40 hertz. This demo had myself, Bob and Jeff literally flipping out. Its all we talked about at dinner. Magnepan has no idea on how to price the mini maggies so I dont know what they will list for Other will be inexpensive though because of what a consumers perception of what your getting size wise) but Im already thinking of how to sell my huge 1.6 maggies so I can get these dinky things!!!!! Goes to show again that small and simple monitors like this one are the way to go sometimes."

Wonder why under best sound at the show -- they never mentioned BP26, BCD-1, 2-28B's and Torus?

james

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2009, 03:22 pm »

Wonder why under best sound at the show -- they never mentioned BP26, BCD-1, 2-28B's and Torus?

james

Here's someone who did-
http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-maggie-mystery-speaker-part-1
http://www.avguide.com/blog/the-maggie-mystery-speaker-part-2

james

Panelman

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2009, 11:54 pm »

James,

how large was the room that you displayed in with Magnepan?  How loud was the system playing?  John Atkinson of Stereophile claims the amp was clipping and I'd like your input. Hard to believe a 1,000 watt amp was forced to clip on panels that small.

Thanks
Sean

jrc

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2009, 12:26 am »
JA also said the Magnepan/Bryston room was using 7Bsst not 28's

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #8 on: 14 Jan 2009, 12:50 am »
Hi Guys,

The room was about 25 by 18 and the only clipping on the 28B's was on some of the rim-shots on the drum demo - man it was loud! ... but you swore the drum set was in the room.

Also remember the satellite panels were small but are crossed over at 300 Hz to 2 dipole woofers.

james

PS -- I think it indicates how much energy is really required for music transients --- far more than people assume.
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2009, 03:07 am by James Tanner »

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #9 on: 14 Jan 2009, 06:53 pm »
Hi All,

Good overview the Maggie/Bryston setup at the CES 2009 show.

http://www.soundstage2.com/lasvegas2009/df_jan11mm.html

Posted Tue Jan13, 2009, 4:21 PM — By Joel Kozlowski
"Way above their class" is an understatement. My friends and I thought this demo was the most impressive and best sounding of the entire show! The fact that the loudspeakers are what you see above is not only impressive, but well neigh unbelivable!

Just don't get greedy Wendell  :)

bummrush

« Reply #10 on: 14 Jan 2009, 07:19 pm »
Now that i'm salivating,what is the price going to be,i've tried a few numbers in my head but cant get anywhere,when they can sell and make the mmg and sell it for what they do.Maybe this to will be a nice price,who knows?Had some mmg's a while ago but the electronics behind them weren't good enough for them

bummrush

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jan 2009, 07:26 pm »
That woofer is more then room friendly sized.Plus its really nice looking

TONEPUB

« Reply #12 on: 15 Jan 2009, 09:45 pm »
I got to hear the Magnepan/Bryston setup and thought it was outstanding!

Man, if those amps were clipping, I couldn't hear it....

I don't know who had the "best" sound at the show, but the Magnepan/Bryston
combo was certainly one of my favorites.  Nice job guys.

The little Magnepan reminded me of that little magnepan demo speaker they used to have
in their dealers years ago as a cutaway that showed you how the speakers worked.

Very cool stuff....

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #13 on: 15 Jan 2009, 10:15 pm »
Man, they could have a super WAF in an HT system! 

Toka

« Reply #14 on: 16 Jan 2009, 05:39 am »
Must be tough finding the "right price"...if they are affordable enough (I'm thinking $3-5K, maybe with some options in there) then they could really move them...but then they risk undercutting their own flagships, especially with the way people have been raving about the new ones.

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #15 on: 16 Jan 2009, 01:14 pm »
Must be tough finding the "right price"...if they are affordable enough (I'm thinking $3-5K, maybe with some options in there) then they could really move them...but then they risk undercutting their own flagships, especially with the way people have been raving about the new ones.

Hi Toka,

As good as the demo was I do not think it will displace the 3.6 and the MG20.1's.  One of the nice things Wendell from Magnepan told me was that the Mini-Maggie never sounded this good at the factory.  He felt the Bryston gear took it to a new level.

Plus this is a 3-piece or 4-piece system crossing over at 300Hz so integration is more complicated than a single panel setup. I am going to get a system and try it relative to my MG1.6's and MG3.6's and we will see. I think it will be more of an 'application' choice rather than a 'performance' choice.

james
« Last Edit: 16 Jan 2009, 04:26 pm by James Tanner »

yyz

« Reply #16 on: 17 Jan 2009, 04:25 pm »
Hi James,

When you do the comparison it would be interesting to me (and possibely others) if you could configure, at least once, the speakers in a way that someone with little room real estate would use. I have a small apartment living room and I would likely put something like these speakers next to a TV close to the wall with about 2 feet of space to the back wall.

The question I like to answer is can these tiny speakers delivery musical enjoyment in a small confined space? This is my example of 'application' vs 'performance'. Are the speakers good enough for someone with limited space?

I hate the fact that my Bryston 7B-SST's have been gathering dust in my closet for the past 14 months. It would be great if these tiny speakers can get my amps back out to play while I live in this otherwise great apartment.

I am considering the Usher 718 (Tiny Dancer) but it is still a little larger than I would like for my current space.

BTW - I really enjoy your reviews, I am thinking of buying the Thiel 3.7 in a few years based on your review.  That is after I buy a house with a big room for a stereo.

vegasdave

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jan 2009, 10:30 pm »
He felt the Bryston gear took it to a new level.

:thumb: 8)

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #18 on: 23 Jan 2009, 07:54 pm »
TAS Editors and Writers Pick "The Biggest Surprises" of CES 2009  

January 22nd, 2009

What was “Biggest Surprise” at CES 2009? TAS Editors/Reviewers weigh in with their selections.

NEIL GADER:  The Mini-Magnapan “desktop” speaker with a dipole passive don’t-call-me-a-subwoofer subwoofer. Remarkable.

ALAN TAFFEL: The Magnepan “Mystery” speaker. Shockingly small for a Maggie. The new model will open many doors for Magnepan, especially combined with the equally surprising, stylish new coffee-table sized woofer.

DICK OLSHER: Magnepan’s new “Mini” speaker. Essentially a planar “point source” radiator, aided by a woofer, that images like a mini-monitor.

DRIVEN BY BRYSTON:
BP26/MPS-2  preamplifier
BCD-1 CD Player
28B SST Mono Blocks
Torus Power Conditioner

vegasdave

« Reply #19 on: 24 Jan 2009, 08:47 pm »
Cool review. I wish I had made it over there...I was too tired!