Optimal Magnepan model for my room

Maggie3.7iFAN

Optimal Magnepan model for my room
« on: 23 Apr 2020, 10:27 pm »
I was told that this is THE place to go for all the information and expertise one could ask for regarding Maggies. I have long dreamed of owning the 3.7i's, and am finally in a position to do so. My question is about the room I have available for their placement. My room is 16 feet long, and 12/13 feet wide with standard height ceilings. The front half of the room is only 12 feet wide due to a large bookcase. The back half of the room is 13 feet wide for only a short distance, before the wall to the right of the listening position opens up to a dining room area.

I've read a bit about placement here in the forums. I "think" the best way to set up 3.7i's, in my room, would be four feet out from the front wall, either one foot, or 18 inches away from the side walls, and 5-5.5 feet apart (depending on the distance chosen from the side wall. The listening position would be nine feet away, but could be as much as ten, or as little as 8.

What I am hoping for is confirmation that my room can accommodate the 3.7i's, and allow them to perform as they should. There is only one local Maggie dealer in my area, about an hour away. When I last spoke to him about this, he was on the fence about whether the 3.7i's might be a bit too much for my room, and if the 1,7i's would be better. I had a fairly extensive demo at a store in Denver, while visiting my brother, back before the viral chaos appeared. I thought the 1.7i's were great, but the 3.7i's just seemed to provide more of everything. They alternated both speakers in a nearfield setup that was roughly the dimensions of how I can place them (although the room was much longer). So, your opinion on whether the 3.7i's will work for me would be tremendously helpful.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Optimal Magnepan model for my room
« Reply #1 on: 24 Apr 2020, 12:40 am »
I think you'll be all right with the 3.7s, I just paced off my living room and have about the same width due to furniture.
You can shove them closer to the side walls if need be.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2020, 02:40 am »
I agree with Steve.  Should be no problem with the 3.7's.  You could put sliders under them and push them back when not in use.  They need about 2-3 feet from the wall.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2020, 10:42 am »
Your room will look like this:

For an experiment I tried 1.7s in the same room and Frank Zappa sounded like a dwarf (with Stink Foot).

Wind Chaser

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2020, 01:34 pm »
Man those things are ridiculously huge. This is why they need to move from planar bass to OB dynamic driver bass.

johnto

« Reply #5 on: 24 Apr 2020, 09:27 pm »
I have my 3.7i in a 12 x 15 room and they sound great, tweeters on the inside 32" off the rear wall and mid 40" and 19" 0ff the side wall. You should have terrific sound
I started with the 1.7 which was great but am glad I moved up.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 24 Apr 2020, 10:50 pm »
My apartment living room/listening room is 11' 8" wide. I previously had my Magnepan 3.6 at the end (nearest point of Speaker) 18" from side walls. abour 42" to 52" (tilted in a lot and tweeters inside edge) I also had boards on the outside 6" wide as tll as speakers on ht bass side. set so the made the speaker 5" wider.. curiously that is the same width as the 20.7s
This was great.
Then I bought Magnepan 20.7s and placed them in the same spot.
Two years now..  the music is bliss.. bliss......
The only downside the 20.7 took at least eight months to break in fully.
I too have the standard almost 8' ceiling.
The length of my room is longer. but has a divider betwen the hall front door with two closets in it, and the Kitchen on the other back side..
Anyway do not worry too much about the room you have..

I actually dialed in my speaker with female vocals to get them t osound as clear and distinct as headphones, and so much so and so well I wrote down the exact measurements to the side wall, the back wall from each end edge... so i can always get he speakers BACK to the magic spot.
Just to mention I sit about eight feet from the speakers... So a LOT of room behind me....

Good Luck

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #7 on: 24 Apr 2020, 11:42 pm »
It may have to do with the settings on my camera and the angle I took the picture from.
They're only 3.7s one some low rise tables I whipped up.

mcmusicman

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2020, 03:03 am »
OP, If you don't like the 3.7i I will gladly give you a few bucks for them.  LOL  Seriously, jealous as all hell if you get them. I tell everyone my end game system for retirement years is the 3.7i with a pass 250.8 driving.  I will never have the money for the 20.7s so I set a realistic goal. My space is larger than yours but not by much and I would switch my 1.7s up in a heartbeat. It's hard to have too much Magnepan ;)

andyr

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2020, 07:23 am »
My apartment living room/listening room is 11' 8" wide. I previously had my Magnepan 3.6 at the end (nearest point of Speaker) 18" from side walls. abour 42" to 52" (tilted in a lot and tweeters inside edge) I also had boards on the outside 6" wide as tll as speakers on ht bass side. set so the made the speaker 5" wider.. curiously that is the same width as the 20.7s
This was great.
Then I bought Magnepan 20.7s and placed them in the same spot.
Two years now..  the music is bliss.. bliss......
The only downside the 20.7 took at least eight months to break in fully.
I too have the standard almost 8' ceiling.
The length of my room is longer. but has a divider betwen the hall front door with two closets in it, and the Kitchen on the other back side..
Anyway do not worry too much about the room you have..

I actually dialed in my speaker with female vocals to get them t osound as clear and distinct as headphones, and so much so and so well I wrote down the exact measurements to the side wall, the back wall from each end edge... so i can always get he speakers BACK to the magic spot.
Just to mention I sit about eight feet from the speakers... So a LOT of room behind me....

Good Luck

Well hello, Elizabeth.

I remember your posts on the Planar Asylum ... over a decade ago.  What amp are you using for your 20.7s?  Back then you were a Bryston enthusiast!   :)

Andy

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2020, 02:24 pm »
I am still using my Bryston 4B-SST² amp.
If I ran into $11K laying around I would buy a 14B3 Bryston amp.

kmmd

• 5 mos.= My VAC is back - now silver w/phono
    • Systems
« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2020, 02:46 pm »
OP, If you don't like the 3.7i I will gladly give you a few bucks for them.  LOL  Seriously, jealous as all hell if you get them. I tell everyone my end game system for retirement years is the 3.7i with a pass 250.8 driving.  I will never have the money for the 20.7s so I set a realistic goal. My space is larger than yours but not by much and I would switch my 1.7s up in a heartbeat. It's hard to have too much Magnepan ;)

You will absolutely love the combination of a Maggie with a Pass Labs amp.  I’ve tried amps from well respected manufacturers in these circles and found the Pass to be most enjoyable.  Match it with a good tubed preamp, and you will be very happy.  :)

I’m biamping which is something you can’t do with a 3.7.  Mine from a well known dealer in Reno, NV.  :thumb:

Maggie3.7iFAN

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2020, 07:21 pm »
Thanks so much to everyone for their input. It's been of great help. Thanks especially, Steve, for that comparison of the 1.7i's and the 3.7i's in your room. That completely eliminated any other questions.

andyr

« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2020, 10:45 pm »

I’m biamping which is something you can’t do with a 3.7.  Mine from a well known dealer in Reno, NV.  :thumb:

You certainly can bi-amp - or even tri-amp - a 3.7 (or a 20.7) ... you just have to know:
1. how to remove/bypass the internal passive XO, and
2. what HP & LP filters to implement in your active XO.

Andy
« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2020, 01:40 am by andyr »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 26 Apr 2020, 01:15 am »
You're welcome.
I was listening to some more Who albums (on the upstairs 1.7 system) which just showed up today and along came Boris The Spider.
That made me realize just what you're paying for with the 3.7s.
The 1.7s sound really good but the 3.7s are quite a step up.
And then there's the 20.7s which are quite a step up once again but my room is too small for those bruisers.

andyr

« Reply #15 on: 26 Apr 2020, 01:40 am »
[Duplicate post]

jimbones

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2020, 01:46 am »
I think the 3.7 is the sweet spot, I like those the best. my buddy bought the 20.7 but I think they are too big

Tubegopher

« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2020, 02:09 am »
Love the Magnepans!. I am dating myself, but I used to sell the first version of them in the mid 70's. They sounded awesome on the right equipment! I used to work for a company called Electricraft Stereo in Seattle and later managed the Magnolia store of Magnolia Hi-Fi. I got into tube when Dave Obrien of McIntosh had a clinic at my Magnolia store and replaced a bunch of KT88s in an MC275. I have never looked back. I named my 1957 Chris Craft "Analog".