Anyone Tried 1.7(i)'s With Channel Islands D200 Monoblocks?

Slapshot

As the title says. I have a pair of the Channel Island D200's which are one of the great performance values in amplification. They are rated at 200 watts @ 8 ohms/375 watts @ 4 ohms. I would think they should be great with 1.7i's. Just wondering if anyone has tried this combination? I'm strongly considering trying this out.

Saturn94

Re: Anyone Tried 1.7(i)'s With Channel Islands D200 Monoblocks?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Apr 2020, 07:42 pm »
I’ve not heard that combo, but from the limited specs I’ve found, they should have plenty of oomph to drive the 1.7i.  :thumb:

Slapshot

« Reply #2 on: 19 Apr 2020, 07:51 pm »
Thanks, my thoughts too. Just wondered if anyone might have tried this combination here.

mcmusicman

« Reply #3 on: 19 Apr 2020, 10:11 pm »
I do not know anything about the xdc-2 power supply on the D200.  I tried driving my pair of 1.7 with the Nuprime mono blocks (Class D 2@ 290w 4 ohm) and unfortunately they would clip at 80 db.  The Nuprime had a linear supply but lacked the capacitance to handle the dips below 4 ohm that happen with my Maggies. .  I think the D500 definitely gets there. Upgrading to 3.7i this fall. Good Luck

Slapshot

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2020, 05:14 am »
I do not know anything about the xdc-2 power supply on the D200.  I tried driving my pair of 1.7 with the Nuprime mono blocks (Class D 2@ 290w 4 ohm) and unfortunately they would clip at 80 db.  The Nuprime had a linear supply but lacked the capacitance to handle the dips below 4 ohm that happen with my Maggies. .  I think the D500 definitely gets there. Upgrading to 3.7i this fall. Good Luck

Thanks for passing on that information. I'm a bit between a rock and a hard place because if I buy the 1.7i's, and somehow, the Channel Islands cannot drive them effectively, I could not then afford to purchase anything else in terms of suitable and acceptable amplification, and would have to sell off the 1.7i's. And without the 1.7i's, there is literally nothing competitive which I could use to complete the new system.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 20 Apr 2020, 12:32 pm »
Why not contact Dusty (owner of Channel Island Audio)?  He'd be THE expert as the 1.7's are well known and he's a straight shooter with nothing in the game.  BTW I've owned the CIA VMB-1 and the original D-100 mono-blocks.  Had zero complaints with either pair.

Slapshot

« Reply #6 on: 22 Apr 2020, 05:58 am »
Why not contact Dusty (owner of Channel Island Audio)?  He'd be THE expert as the 1.7's are well known and he's a straight shooter with nothing in the game.  BTW I've owned the CIA VMB-1 and the original D-100 mono-blocks.  Had zero complaints with either pair.

Great suggestion. I'll follow up with Dusty. Thanks.

Slapshot

« Reply #7 on: 23 Apr 2020, 07:56 pm »

For reference to anyone who ends up seeing this discussion, I just spoke with Dusty at Channel Islands, and he said that the D200 monoblocks will drive any of the Maggies without issue, and very well.