Okay, I'm a Believer (They like-a-da-juice)

ajzepp

Okay, I'm a Believer (They like-a-da-juice)
« on: 28 Feb 2020, 05:03 am »
I've had Maggie 3.6s since purchasing a pair new in 2009. Really haven't even considered anything else, for reasons obvious to many in this forum. Driving them as been my trusty Butler Audio 5150, which I've had since 2005. Unfortunately, the Butler (150wpc, 225 into 4ohm) has had some slight static and distortion issues, and since it costs me over $150 to properly ship it back to Mr Butler, I figured maybe it was time to look for a new amp.

Not everyone agrees with me here, but I love class D with Maggies. Those ICE modules that Peachtree Audio uses did a fantastic job with my Maggies, and I know the technology has improved over the last several years. Don't really have much budget right now, so I decided to go with one of the Class D Audio (the company, not the concept) amps, which others have seemingly had success with. Tom, the owner, was very responsive, and he said that they had a pair of 3.6s in their offices because of how much they love the pairing. (This could have been bullshit, but giving him the benefit of the doubt.) Anyway, I settled on a model with an upgraded power supply that puts out 300wpc into 8 and doubles to 600 into 4.

Even though I cannot say it outperforms the Butler in the mids and highs (the Butler is a hybrid tube amp, and I absolutely loved it...so this is not a criticism of the Class D), it did hold its own, AND, the bass was ridiculous. I had NO idea that Maggie could do this with the low end. I'm not sure I even need to worry about adding a sub back into this 2-channel rig, as I was planning. I've never heard deep, tight bass coming out of these speakers before.

But anyway, the dynamics I'm hearing right now seemingly relate to the higher current on tap (some of you will likely disagree with that, but I can only report what I'm observing), to the degree that it's very impressive. I've always heard varying arguments about whether Maggies really need higher current amps, and obviously I've been very happy with a more modest amplifier for the past decade, but it's pretty obvious that Maggie grows some bigger balls when you give her more juice. I can see why many of you use those beefy Bryston amps with your Maggies. I'm guessing that pairing sounds fantastic.

Happy Listening.

Dieterle Tool

• I don't know what it is, but I wunt it.
Re: Okay, I'm a Believer (They like-a-da-juice)
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2020, 04:18 pm »
Nice write up AJ,

Doubling watts when halving ohms is about the only recommendation Magnepan will offer for choosing amps. Looks like the Dac takes care of that where the Butler comes up short.

Can you expound on your Dac choice?

-Dieter

meby

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2020, 04:27 pm »
Had the same experience with 1.6s when I put Ref 1000 M Bel Canto Monos on them, the bass was ridiculous in a good way. I had been driving them with a Sonographe SA 250amp.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2020, 05:23 pm »
  If you not use a tubed preamp you may consider one with Class D amp. CJ, Carey, VTL.

charles

brooklyn

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2020, 05:36 pm »
I think Bel Canto and Maggies make a great marriage. My last system sported the Ref500m amps and the MMG’s. This time I have the Ref500s amp driving the .7’s. I find the Bel Canto amps give the Maggie all the power they need without using a heavy amp.. That’s not saying a larger amp couldn't do a better job..

Charles, I did use a Prima Luna tube pre in my last system with the Maggies and it sounded wonderful.. I wish I still had it.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2020, 07:05 pm »
  Cool. A great combo tubed Pre and Class "D" amps. Like the Bel Canto but my favorite still is Arion HS500/hybrid mono blocks. The Bel Canto not far behind and less mulla. Good choice.

charles

mr_bill

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2020, 07:41 pm »
I think Bel Canto and Maggies make a great marriage. My last system sported the Ref500m amps and the MMG’s. This time I have the Ref500s amp driving the .7’s. I find the Bel Canto amps give the Maggie all the power they need without using a heavy amp.. That’s not saying a larger amp couldn't do a better job..

Charles, I did use a Prima Luna tube pre in my last system with the Maggies and it sounded wonderful.. I wish I still had it.

I heard the new Bel Canto EX integrated with Maggie 1.7i speakers and it was a fabulous combo.  Made me want them,

ajzepp

« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2020, 03:00 am »
Nice write up AJ,

Doubling watts when halving ohms is about the only recommendation Magnepan will offer for choosing amps. Looks like the Dac takes care of that where the Butler comes up short.

Can you expound on your Dac choice?

-Dieter

Hello Dieter: Yes, I've run into that when speaking with Wendell in the past regarding the amp recommendation. I believe he said they had a simple 100wpc channel amp driving a pair of Maggies in their lobby at HQ, but that was quite a while ago. I've always wanted to pick up something with more current to see if the rumors were true, and so far Im pretty happy. The amp I picked up was this one:https://www.classdaudio.com/sds-470c-power-amplifier-with-upgrade-ps.html. For a DAC, I just use a modest Topping D50, which I really like. And then for a preamp, again, quite modest, the Schiit Saga tube pre.

I've always defended Maggies for HT use because it takes you deeper into the details of the soundtrack, but I challenge anyone to complain about dynamics (the usual nit pick of them for HT) with an amp like this on board. I watched Ford v. Ferrari this weekend, and wow...it was very impressive just in 2channel.

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 3 Mar 2020, 03:01 am »
Had the same experience with 1.6s when I put Ref 1000 M Bel Canto Monos on them, the bass was ridiculous in a good way. I had been driving them with a Sonographe SA 250amp.

Always drooled over Bel Canto gear. Very nice  :thumb:

And yeah, the improvement in bass is pretty shocking. I seriously had no idea the Maggies could do this.

ajzepp

« Reply #9 on: 3 Mar 2020, 03:10 am »
  If you not use a tubed preamp you may consider one with Class D amp. CJ, Carey, VTL.

charles

Hi Charles: Yes, I really like having a tubed preamp. Currrently Im just using a very modest Schiit Saga, but will hopefully return to a better quality unit in the future once budget permits.

AvsFan

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2020, 12:53 am »
Hi Charles: Yes, I really like having a tubed preamp. Currrently Im just using a very modest Schiit Saga, but will hopefully return to a better quality unit in the future once budget permits.

A tube pre-amp and a big bad ass amp with balls are exactly where I am going. Buying Maggie's and not powering them properly is just silly. They reward you with an amp that has some flex!

ajzepp

« Reply #11 on: 10 Mar 2020, 04:36 am »
A tube pre-amp and a big bad ass amp with balls are exactly where I am going. Buying Maggie's and not powering them properly is just silly. They reward you with an amp that has some flex!

I often do a non-scientific test with my housemate. She's not into audio at all, but sometimes I dont tell her when Ive made a change, and I'll have her listen to a few tracks...I can usually tell by her reaction if she detects something. I fired up a few the other day with the new amp, and her quote was, "...wow!"

AvsFan

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2020, 04:08 am »
I often do a non-scientific test with my housemate. She's not into audio at all, but sometimes I dont tell her when Ive made a change, and I'll have her listen to a few tracks...I can usually tell by her reaction if she detects something. I fired up a few the other day with the new amp, and her quote was, "...wow!"

I am literally baffled right now by my Maggie's! Yesterday, I sent back my Digital Amplifier Company Cherry STM amp for my end game amp, a 400 watt plus, top of the line 2-CHerry which should be just spectacular with the Maggie's.

Well....... I decided to try something really silly, I mean really silly. A $69 TPA chip amp called the Allo Volt +, that I had packed up in my closet not using. Ummmmmmmmmm...... it's SPECTACULAR with the Maggie's! I am going to bed now, but will talk more about this anomaly tomorrow. But it's putting out maybe 30watts per channel and it's ridiculous how good it sounds. This should not be happening. Somebody tell me what the heck is going on?????

AvsFan

« Reply #13 on: 3 Apr 2020, 12:07 am »
Well this little Alo Volt+ has been a very pleasant surprise. It's good, real good, But...........It comes to an end with the Maggie's tomorrow! I just got my DAC monoblocks in today! 400 watts of clean power! It only adds two more 0's to what the Allo cost me. LOL :D

Still in the boxes. The last two pictures are them being tested before shipping to me.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #14 on: 5 Apr 2020, 11:21 pm »
So, how do they sound?

AvsFan

« Reply #15 on: 6 Apr 2020, 02:04 am »
So, how do they sound?

WOW! All I have to say right now.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #16 on: 17 Apr 2020, 04:25 pm »
WOW! All I have to say right now.

AVS,

Can we get an update?

I’m quite surprised the Allo Volt + worked at all. I’ve been thinking of getting one as a back up amp.

AvsFan

« Reply #17 on: 17 Apr 2020, 05:28 pm »
AVS,

Can we get an update?

I’m quite surprised the Allo Volt + worked at all. I’ve been thinking of getting one as a back up amp.

Funny you ask. I was going to really give my opinion this weekend. But...........
It's good, real good! I work from home and after work, I just sit here listening to music, I don't want to leave my office! My home theater system and ZU's are collecting dust. LOL  :D

AvsFan

« Reply #18 on: 17 Apr 2020, 05:55 pm »
AVS,

Can we get an update?

Of course!

I too was shocked the Allo Volt+ worked at all. The crazy thing is, it didn't just work, it sounded really good! As long as I kept the volume level in line with what I thought the Allo's limits were. Funny thing is, I never reached it's limits to where it shutdown or went into protection mode. It was VERY intimate and a really neat experience. It's a great amp regardless of price. It wouldn't play loud or with any kind of impact or authority but the sound was detailed and threw a very 3d and holographic sound stage. I was impressed.

I would highly suggest picking one up.

I'll sell you mine.   :D

I have some Omega Speakers coming in soon that I need an amp for and was going to use this Allo for them, but I think I am going to step up to the Allo Volt+D, which is a true dual mono version of the Volt+.
It's double the price so it might break the bank at $129! But I think I can splurge on it.  :D