The LRS is in pretty good company

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
The LRS is in pretty good company
« on: 2 Dec 2019, 12:16 am »
https://positive-feedback.com/audio-discourse/the-16th-annual-positive-feedback-writers-choice-awards-for-2019/

Scrolling through this I was struck by just how ridiculously expensive everything else in this article is.
Good for Magnepan for not forgetting us working stiffs.

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: The LRS is in pretty good company
« Reply #1 on: 2 Dec 2019, 12:46 am »
So true Steve.  Magnepan has great sounding speakers from $600 and up.  Every one of their speakers from the 3.7i's on down to the LRS's is a great buy and punches way above their price point.  It is a great time for audio because there is plenty of great sounding gear at extreme budget prices.  Schiit Audio is another company that is making great gear for the budget minded audio enthusiast.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2019, 10:55 pm »
Speaker of the Year (one of 3 this time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti0k4N8aQao

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 7 Jan 2020, 01:04 am »
File under H for Hyperbole:

"Greatest Speaker in the History of the Universe"

The December TAS is certainly another great issue. I especially like the music reviews. Can I impose on TAS to review the LRS? I bought mine and I confess, a speaker as good as it is for only $650 makes me feel guilty of theft.

It is simply, the greatest loudspeaker in the history of the universe."

Kerry White

Robert Harely replies-- Jonathan Valin's review of the LRS appears in this issue.

Mr Rick

« Reply #4 on: 7 Jan 2020, 01:43 am »
Schiit Audio has glowing letters and rave reviews in the February issue of Stereophile. The print media has to encourage newcomers with lesser means to enter the hobby. It is in their best interest to do so. Otherwise, us old pharts will die away and take the audiophile industry with us.

josh358

« Reply #5 on: 7 Jan 2020, 10:28 pm »
"Greatest Speaker in the History of the Universe"

Really -- everyone knows that was the Bose 901.

dB Cooper

« Reply #6 on: 9 Jan 2020, 01:23 am »
Schiit Audio has glowing letters and rave reviews in the February issue of Stereophile. The print media has to encourage newcomers with lesser means to enter the hobby. It is in their best interest to do so. Otherwise, us old pharts will die away and take the audiophile industry with us.

I've been saying this for a long time. There needs to be an entry level. I used to tally up the cost of rooms via show reports. Two or three years ago, the mean cost of the systems I had info on came to $58,000 excluding cabling (and excluding the room with the ridiculous $220K KEF 'shampoo bottle' speakers) and excluding cabling. This year I only tallied one room because the first room I added up came to over $300,000. That is fine for wealthy people spending their kids' inheritance, but most people will just move on when they see numbers like that. You can get enjoyable music in the home for a helluva lot less than that if you are not hell bent on a all out assault on the state of the art and into conspicuous consumption.  The LRS is a good example:If a planar hits your checkboxes, its performance is world class in many respects for well under a grand a pair.

josh358

« Reply #7 on: 9 Jan 2020, 02:25 am »
I've been saying this for a long time. There needs to be an entry level. I used to tally up the cost of rooms via show reports. Two or three years ago, the mean cost of the systems I had info on came to $58,000 excluding cabling (and excluding the room with the ridiculous $220K KEF 'shampoo bottle' speakers) and excluding cabling. This year I only tallied one room because the first room I added up came to over $300,000. That is fine for wealthy people spending their kids' inheritance, but most people will just move on when they see numbers like that. You can get enjoyable music in the home for a helluva lot less than that if you are not hell bent on a all out assault on the state of the art and into conspicuous consumption.  The LRS is a good example:If a planar hits your checkboxes, its performance is world class in many respects for well under a grand a pair.
Worse than that, most of the people who spend that kind of money on their systems aren't getting anything like the best sound possible. These systems often sound remarkably mediocre because they don't know what to buy or how to set it up.

jhm731

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jan 2020, 02:29 am »
LRS with T-1D woofer panels..... 8)

josh358

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jan 2020, 02:33 am »
LRS with T-1D woofer panels..... 8)
LOL, not a bad idea, actually!

jhm731

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jan 2020, 07:41 pm »
Magnepan LRS vs 0.7i. Is the 0.7i definitely better?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIBSxiGQBlE

Craig B

« Reply #11 on: 27 Feb 2020, 01:21 pm »

I was prepared to dismiss this review since they didn't even get the model number right in the video title, but in the video they got it right.  :wink:

jhm731

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 10 Mar 2020, 10:26 pm »
They came out surprisingly well in the comparison.
Where is my credit card?

smargo

« Reply #15 on: 2 May 2020, 05:11 am »
I think what makes it special is its musical presence - definitely not its high and lows - cause it has none

And the more it plays the better it gets -  be patient  - the speakers will reveal themselves

mick wolfe

« Reply #16 on: 2 May 2020, 08:25 pm »

I do like a lot of the reviews Jay has done solo. This particular joint effort frankly made my hair hurt. No new light was shed :scratch:

Wind Chaser

« Reply #17 on: 2 May 2020, 10:35 pm »
A simple question takes 32 minute answer?  :roll:

I ain't got time for that. Moreover judging by Mick's post, the answer is inconclusive!  :o