speakers for bedroom rig?

albireo13

speakers for bedroom rig?
« on: 27 Jun 2010, 04:49 am »
I have a modest bedroom setup for playing iTunes, internet radio, etc.  I use a Marantz 2226B driving Energy RC minis.  I play easy listening ... new age, jazz, classical and light rock ... at modest volumes.
I have been looking to upgrade the speakers and have been considering Salk.Talked with Jim briefly about this and he suggested the Song surrounds or even the SongBirds.
Just curious what other folks have settled on for bedroom systems.

Thx,
Rob

R Swerdlow

Re: speakers for bedroom rig?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2010, 02:09 pm »
I have a modest bedroom setup for playing iTunes, internet radio, etc.  I use a Marantz 2226B driving Energy RC minis.  I play easy listening ... new age, jazz, classical and light rock ... at modest volumes.
I have been looking to upgrade the speakers and have been considering Salk. Talked with Jim briefly about this and he suggested the Song surrounds or even the SongBirds.
Just curious what other folks have settled on for bedroom systems.

Rob

I have 2-channel bedroom system with speakers similar to what you are thinking of.  My speakers are the Dennis Murphy-designed CAOW1 speakers, which are DIYs very similar to the SongSurround I (same woofer & tweeter, identical cabinet dimensions, different crossover).  Based on my roughly 5 years with these speakers, and nearly 3 years with SongTowers, I would highly recommend either the SongSurround or the SongBird.

Interestingly, I first used an old Marantz 2230 receiver to drive these speakers, probably not much different than your 2226.  It's 30 watts per channel drove them very nicely.  I now use this receiver as a pre-amp along with a stand alone 100 wpc amp.  Although those speakers don't require a bigger amp to sound good, they did benefit from the roughly 3-fold increase in power.

Richard

polarbare

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2010, 03:17 pm »
Right now I have a pair of song surrounds in the bedroom until I get a place where I can set up a 7.1 system. Soungs good, but in all reality, I don't do much that much listening in the bedroom.

albireo13

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jun 2010, 05:06 pm »
I don't mind the low power.  We listen mostly to background music when we are on the computer or .. for watching a DVD.  I have a 5.1 HT system in the basement rec room and frankly  ...  for music and quality sound I prefer a standard 2-channel setup with high end components. 

I had a Mirage sub with the RC minis but I still think heftier speakers sound better to me than a sub setup.  I also want to keep it uncluttered .... fewer components and cables.

The SongTowers are definitely overkill our bedroom setup.  I am just going back and forth between the Songbirds and the Song surrounds. Disadvantage of the surrounds is I need to figure out how to mount them ... on the wall ... sitting on the desktop .... buy stands.  Once you include cost of nice stands, the towers aren't that much more $$ than the surrounds!

albireo13

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jun 2010, 03:29 pm »
Crazy new thought ....keep my bedroom rig but, instead, upgrade my main setup with SBs.
I currently have Paradigm Studio-20 bookshelves (on stands) in my living room, which is roughly 28x14.    I know the  SongTowers would be a great step up but ...  the SongBirds are more affordable for me.

Anyone know if the SBs would be a step up from my Studio-20s?

Rob

Stylus

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2010, 03:41 pm »
When I got my SongTowers I upgraded from Studio 20's.  It was a big step up.

billmcc

« Reply #6 on: 29 Jun 2010, 07:30 pm »
Crazy new thought ....keep my bedroom rig but, instead, upgrade my main setup with SBs.
I currently have Paradigm Studio-20 bookshelves (on stands) in my living room, which is roughly 28x14.    I know the  SongTowers would be a great step up but ...  the SongBirds are more affordable for me.

Anyone know if the SBs would be a step up from my Studio-20s?

Rob

Rob,

I would give Jim a call if you get a chance. I had similar thoughts as you do for my main HT/audio system. I wanted the STs but thought the Song Birds would be a good choice to try to save a few dollars. When I spoke with Jim I told him my listening habits and thought the Song Surround I's might work as well as the Song Birds as I am using a sub.

But in the end I ordered the STs and Song Center :). I was sure I would have been kicking myself for not spending the extra money. So your idea of moving the Studio 20s into your bedroom system is a good one. The tough part is deciding between the Song Birds and the STs.

Bill

albireo13

« Reply #7 on: 29 Jun 2010, 08:53 pm »
exactly ... I am going back and forth between SB and ST.  Hard to justify keeping both STs and the Studio-20s though .... finances and WAF, you know!   :wink:

Still ..........

mathgeek97

« Reply #8 on: 29 Jun 2010, 09:12 pm »
exactly ... I am going back and forth between SB and ST.  Hard to justify keeping both STs and the Studio-20s though .... finances and WAF, you know!   :wink:

Still ..........

14'x28' is a decent size room.  Better call Jim and see if he thinks the SongBirds will work for you.  Oh, and let us know what he says!

billmcc

« Reply #9 on: 29 Jun 2010, 10:20 pm »

Still ..........

I hear ya :wink:. After I told my wife that I was getting new speakers she just looked at me like aahh OK. Then a day or two later she asked me why it was I needed new speakers. I said to be completly honest I just can't help myself :D. But in all seriousness my wife is great and knows I really enjoy listening to music and it is a way for me to totally relax :).

Bill