Song Surronds Questions

audiocrazy

Song Surronds Questions
« on: 2 Apr 2009, 05:11 pm »
I had a Polk LSi 7.1 setup and I replaced my fronts with SongTowers. My song center will be arriving hopefully soon.
My side surrounds are wall mounted Polk LSiFx in Dipole mode and rear backs are LSi7 direct radiating.

I went through most of the thread discussing the Song Surrounds and I've have not found anybody that has wall mounted the surrounds. Somebody has suggested using the B-Tech BT77 speaker brackets but I have not seen anybody using them with Surrounds I.

Can somebody please help me in how I can use Song Surrounds in my existing setup? Also can somebody please post the pics of wall mounted surrounds if any?
I first want to replace the side surrounds with Surrounds I and then down the line rear surrounds.

Here the pics of the current surround setup
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arshadmalik/3399438307/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arshadmalik/3400246050/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/arshadmalik/3399437281/

audiocrazy

Re: Song Surrounds Questions
« Reply #1 on: 2 Apr 2009, 07:00 pm »
Ok I found a similar thread from 2008 that talks about wallmounting Song Surrounds
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=59540.0

Here is what Dennis quoted. Now should I stick with my Polk Surrounds or is there any alternate wall mountable Surrounds
Thanks, that B-Tech looks good (I really don't want to drill into the speaker). However, I thought I read that the way the songsurrounds were designed they shouldn't be against a wall like that mount will put them? Is that not the case? Or will tilting it downward and away from the wall resolve the problem?

OK   There are a whole lotta issues here.  The Song Surrounds are optimized for stand mounting with the rear port at least a foot from the wall.  Once you start talking about wall mounting, you have a port issue to deal with (which can be solved by porting on the bottom or top, or just sealing the port), and a listening axis issue if they are placed above a normal stand-mounted listening position, and maybe a baffle step compensation issue if they are butted up against the wall.  If you are crossing the surrounds to a sub at, say, 80 Hz, then you can just seal the port.  If you want to run them full range and are expecting the normal amount of bass out of them, then the port will have to be moved.   If they are mounted with the tweeter considerably above ear level, then they should be angled down if you want to hear the response that I designed into them.  But they won't sound weird or bad if you don't bother.  They won't have the mid-treble integration that they might have, but in a surround application, they may be fine.  As for baffle step compensation,  this really only becomes an issue if they are mounted in-wall, with the front baffle flush with the wall.  I've taken measurements of my speakers out several feet from the wall, and up against the wall, and I've done comparative listening--and it makes much less difference than you might think.   It's not something I would worry about.

Here is Jim's quote
Many of our customers have had great luck with the B-tech BT77 side clamping wall mount.  It works very well with speakers the size of the SongSurround I's.  As Mark pointed out, they work very well.  Here's another link:
http://www.btech-usa.com/bt77.html

We are also exploring the feasilbilty of developing alternative versions of this speaker to address this sort of situation.

- Jim

bigbwb

Re: Song Surronds Questions
« Reply #2 on: 2 Apr 2009, 07:32 pm »
I mounted some sierras recently using the B-tech Bt77's.  The sierras a fairly close in size and these mounts worked great.  You will need some soft felt pads to place on the clamps which secure the speakers from the sides.  As you see in the pics, I used a eye hook and tie strap to secure the speaker just in case.
http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?t=3896

Just thought I could help,

Good luck,
Brandon

audiocrazy

« Reply #3 on: 2 Apr 2009, 08:21 pm »
Brandon that looks nice. Did you have to drill a hole for the eye hook? or the hole was already there.

In my setup i will have to point the surrounds towards the sitting position that will make the port hole behind the side wall & it will be blocked by the wall  :(
Its not clear how much clearance is required from the port hole? :scratch:

Or should i hold off on the surrounds until there is a wall mountable alternative :?
I really like my current wall mountable setup and my Polk surrounds gives a good diffused surrounds effects for HT but i believe in timber matching.
I hope more people chime in.

bigbwb

« Reply #4 on: 2 Apr 2009, 10:15 pm »
AC,

The sierras already had a threaded hole in the cabinet for securing them to the ascend stands, so it was easy plus theres a hold in the back of the mount.

In my experience, depending on how you cross over your surrounds and what kind of material you play through them, having them rear ported and close to the wall, should not be a major issue.  I listen to lots of DVD-A tracks along with lossless Blu-ray movies and the rears sound great even though they are rear ported and close to the wall.  I know ascend offers specific port plugs for these situations, maybe Jim can do the same for you if need be.

Later,
Brandon

Brandon that looks nice. Did you have to drill a hole for the eye hook? or the hole was already there.

In my setup i will have to point the surrounds towards the sitting position that will make the port hole behind the side wall & it will be blocked by the wall  :(
Its not clear how much clearance is required from the port hole? :scratch:

Or should i hold off on the surrounds until there is a wall mountable alternative :?
I really like my current wall mountable setup and my Polk surrounds gives a good diffused surrounds effects for HT but i believe in timber matching.
I hope more people chime in.