Super Small Salks?

ajzepp

Super Small Salks?
« on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:04 am »
I'm about to pick up a Peachtree Audio Music Box for my bedroom. I was curious if Jim has ever offered a small, efficient bookshelf type speaker...something along the lines of a computer speaker system.

Thanks!

Big Red Machine

Re: Super Small Salks?
« Reply #1 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:45 am »
Yes.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #2 on: 14 Nov 2011, 03:09 am »
Define efficient.  I did do a small computer monitor for Jim, but I wouldn't say it's anything out of the ordinary sensitivity-wise.  How many watts would you have to play with?

ajzepp

« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2011, 07:26 am »
Define efficient.  I did do a small computer monitor for Jim, but I wouldn't say it's anything out of the ordinary sensitivity-wise.  How many watts would you have to play with?

Thanks, Dennis. The Peachtree Audio piece I'm picking up only puts out 20wpc, so I'm assuming I'd need a speaker with a sensitivity in the 90s. If there is something offered that is the right size, though, then I can just pick up a small class D amp or something and use the preouts.

I'm looking for speakers that are pretty small since it's just for my bedroom/computer. Something under 8" tall, even smaller preferably.

You guys do anything like that?

Big Red Machine

« Reply #4 on: 14 Nov 2011, 01:40 pm »

ajzepp

« Reply #5 on: 14 Nov 2011, 01:46 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=80170.20

Here is what I referred to....

Cool, that's exactly why I came to the Salk forum once I knew I wanted this Peachtree thing for an iPod bedroom system. If I'm going to get little speakers for it, I want something unique. I'd love a little mini version of some of the amazing work that Jim and Dennis do in their larger models. That looks like a single driver speaker, yes? That would be perfect.

So what are the specs on that little guy? Can it be made even smaller?

ajzepp

« Reply #6 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:05 pm »
I just saw on the link that Big Red Machine posted that Jim said those little Salks weren't going to be a product offering. Let me give an idea of what I was hoping to do, just in case it's something that hasn't been done before and maybe I could talk Jim and Dennis into making an exception.

I often frequent this forum for no other reason than to look at the amazing finishes on these speakers. The other day I came across this one: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=97594.0

It got me thinking of doing something that some will no doubt feel is tacky, but others will understand completely, particularly considering this is for a little pair of speakers. I would like to have an NFL-themed finish. I'm a die-hard fan of the Buffalo Bills (keep the laughter down, please...) and when I saw this blue the first thing I thought of was my Bills. That blue color is very close to our team blue, so already that gives an idea of what I want to do. To take it a step further, I'd love to either somehow (and somewhat subtly) incorporate either the charging buffalo Bills logo or the team "BILLS" script. I don't know if that's even possible, but if anyone can do it it's Jim and Dennis.

So, that's what I'm looking at. I'm not in a huge hurry or anything, so if this project can be considered I'd really appreciate it.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #7 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:45 pm »
Hi  Jim will have to take it from here.  There are two versions of the little computer speaker, both the same size.  One just uses the TangBand titanium driver alone, albeit with baffle step compensation and countouring of the response in the mid-highs.  The other uses a little tweeter located in the upper left or right corners (mirror image left and right).  I much prefer the latter, although the single driver version sounds pretty good up close.  If you really have 20 clean watts, that would be enough for these puppies. 

ajzepp

« Reply #8 on: 14 Nov 2011, 02:56 pm »
Hi  Jim will have to take it from here.  There are two versions of the little computer speaker, both the same size.  One just uses the TangBand titanium driver alone, albeit with baffle step compensation and countouring of the response in the mid-highs.  The other uses a little tweeter located in the upper left or right corners (mirror image left and right).  I much prefer the latter, although the single driver version sounds pretty good up close.  If you really have 20 clean watts, that would be enough for these puppies.

Nice, can you guys PM me a starting price on just the base model of each version, not including anything to do with finish options?

srb

« Reply #9 on: 14 Nov 2011, 03:02 pm »
After Jim builds them you can send them over to Nub Grafix (from American Chopper) for airbrushed logos!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nub-Grafix/250664717848#!/pages/Nub-Grafix/250664717848?sk=photos

Steve

ajzepp

« Reply #10 on: 14 Nov 2011, 03:07 pm »
After Jim builds them you can send them over to Nub Grafix (from American Chopper) for airbrushed logos!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nub-Grafix/250664717848#!/pages/Nub-Grafix/250664717848?sk=photos

Steve

Wow!  :thumb:

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #11 on: 14 Nov 2011, 06:55 pm »
Nice, can you guys PM me a starting price on just the base model of each version, not including anything to do with finish options?

I have nothing to do with pricing or sales.  I would just e-mail Jim. 

ryno

« Reply #12 on: 14 Nov 2011, 11:09 pm »
My bedroom system was tough, almost square room with my head up against one wall and the speakers on a dresser up against the other. Most speakers I tried were boomy, but a small monitor with the tang band W4-1337sa ported was perfect. It doesn't look much like a salk though.

ajzepp

« Reply #13 on: 15 Nov 2011, 04:45 am »
Thanks again, all  :thumb: