What pre amp do you use on the Cherry, Maraschino or Ultra power amps??

RCduck7

I'd like to know.
Any particular reason for the pre amp of choice?
Has anyone tried different pre amps on the Cherry's?

mamba315

I run sans pre-amp with both my DAC's going straight into the Maraschino's.  I can't imagine wanting to change that layout anytime soon.  Are you looking to upgrade from an existing pre-amp, or wondering if there are benefits to adding one?

RCduck7

I run sans pre-amp with both my DAC's going straight into the Maraschino's.  I can't imagine wanting to change that layout anytime soon.  Are you looking to upgrade from an existing pre-amp, or wondering if there are benefits to adding one?

My NOS Metrum mini quad dac has no volume control like your Benchmark DAC2. But now that you mentioned it... If i would buy a new DAC it could be smart to have gain control built in. It is a component less and also makes the wire path shorter.

That aside, my LDR based EVA II passive doesn't go or do loud that well with the Maraschinos. The volume goes to "23" and the step from volume setting "22" to "23" is to huge a difference. It sounds pure and detailed but highs can be a tad on the hot side compared to the pre amp stage of my Dussun V8i. The pre amp stage of the Dussun also sounds a bit more musical but slightly less detailed. It's a bit give and take with both.

I can't/won't hold on to the Dussun V8i to only use the pre amp stage on this big amplifier. And the EVA is about fine for now for the room i'm listening in. But i'm going to move to a bigger room with bigger speakers in the future and then the volume issue will only get worse i suppose.

I still have an intrest in passives and the LDR from Tortuga Audio caught my intrest. I wonder if the volume has to be way up with the Tortuga one to as with my EVA.
But i think that particular question would be better asked on the Tortuga forum.
« Last Edit: 22 Jan 2014, 07:10 pm by RCduck7 »

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company
Some preamps listed here, and a link to another thread of the same;
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=103123.msg1047937#msg1047937

As mentioned here-and-there, I prefer to drive amps directly when possible and practical ---- with a balanced output, level controlled D/A.

Thanks for starting this thread.  Maybe now we can get some good, recent information on the topic.

-Tommy O

AmpDesigner333

• Industry Participant
  • Detailed AND Musical
    • Digital Amplifier Company

What DAC, or rather D/A, are you using?

mamba315

I have a Benchmark DAC2 I use, mostly with my Oppo player lately for movies.

I also have a Phasure NOS1 that uses the software volume control of the computer it's being fed with.

Both are state of the art IMO and measure extremely well,  but the Phasure is an NOS design that needs a computer to handle the up sampling.

Sneak peek of the speakers I have coming:  http://www.speakerhardware.com/gc2512we-system.php
Pictured pair is mine and should ship soon.  Not many of these "vortex" speakers made yet, so I'm very curious to hear them myself.

Shear Bliss

I have been running a Classe CP-50 preamp with my Cherry ULTRA with fine results. Its a full remote controlled preamp for switching source, single or balanced outs, phase, speaker balance, and high or low gain settings. Attenuation is shown by red numbered LEDs with a range of 0 to 60 ..... I prefer to keep track of attenuation with my ears AND eyes, very helpful. Another nice feature is the sleep mode the CP-50 offers upon mute. I may try a tube preamp in the future but for now see no reason.

Shear Bliss

RCduck7

I have been running a Classe CP-50 preamp with my Cherry ULTRA with fine results. Its a full remote controlled preamp for switching source, single or balanced outs, phase, speaker balance, and high or low gain settings. Attenuation is shown by red numbered LEDs with a range of 0 to 60 ..... I prefer to keep track of attenuation with my ears AND eyes, very helpful. Another nice feature is the sleep mode the CP-50 offers upon mute. I may try a tube preamp in the future but for now see no reason.

Shear Bliss

Thanks for the info. I'm also open for tube pre amps. Allthough i tried a tube buffer with so so results. It does have a pleasant warm sound with the right music but i missed attack and details. But a top class tube pre amp might be a different story, don't know.