Mike-48

Re: Now Hear This - Classical Music Series on PBS
« Reply #1 on: 28 Sep 2020, 11:57 pm »
THANK YOU!

jcsperson

jcsperson

« Reply #3 on: 29 Sep 2020, 02:40 am »
There are also episodes on Bach, Vivaldi, Scarlatti, and Handel.

https://www.pbs.org/show/great-performances/episodes/season/47/

Mike-48

« Reply #4 on: 29 Sep 2020, 04:51 am »
I'll be watching more of them, too. Haydn caught my eye as being a favorite of mine. I have loved Haydn for a long time, so much that I gave an hour-long presentation on his life and music to our audio club last year. (It was one of the last in-person meetings we had.)

I enjoyed the PBS show, particularly the Hungarian violinist -- such a master, and so full of life and love of music!

SET Man

« Reply #5 on: 29 Sep 2020, 06:27 pm »
Hey!

I've watched two episodes of the season 2, Haydn and Schubert. They are fine but I found the season 2 so far to be less exciting and a bit tamed compare to the season 1 of which was very exciting to watch, beautifully shot and produced. Don't know what happened on season 2, even his wild hair in season 1 is now tamed!

If anyone haven't seen the season 1, it is worth watching. My favorite is Vivaldi episode on season 1, I'll never listen to Vivaldi's Four Seasons the same way again... but in a good even more beautiful way after that episode.

Still, I'll continue watching this series, it is still a good series.

Buddy

jcsperson

« Reply #6 on: 4 Oct 2020, 11:53 pm »
This week's episode was "Becoming Mozart" with Canadian pianist Stewart Goodyear:

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/now-hear-this-becoming-mozart-full-episode-lzs0tn/11999/

It's much different than all the previous episodes but very enlightening.

SET Man

« Reply #7 on: 6 Oct 2020, 01:00 am »
This week's episode was "Becoming Mozart" with Canadian pianist Stewart Goodyear:

https://www.pbs.org/wnet/gperf/now-hear-this-becoming-mozart-full-episode-lzs0tn/11999/

It's much different than all the previous episodes but very enlightening.

Hey!

I watched that episode and I have to say it was very informative especially for someone who is a classical novice like myself.

My favorite is actually was when they visited this guy with the Edison Phonograph machine and play a cylinder recording on it. And good to see he also have a Victor Gramaphone 78 disc machine, that machine with wooden horn I believe it called "School House" model. Love those big wooden horn machines, wish I could larger horn machine and have space for it!

He also got an almost full MBL system there, with Clearaudio turntable I think. I'm sure most people watching probably wondering what are those things? Those big MBL speakers always look impressive every time I saw them at the audio show.

Buddy