Vinyl Siding

Bigfish

Vinyl Siding
« on: 17 Mar 2011, 12:23 am »
Okay guys, I have decided on a metal roof and new replacement windows.  Now, I want to do something about my 27 year old Masonite Siding.  The most attractive option, so far, is to cover the Masonite with a thin insulation product followed by Vinyl Siding.  Hardie Plank is nice but would require ripping the Masonite off and disposing of it.  This would likely cause some damage to the insulation beneath the Masonite, plus the Hardie Plank would require painting (Yuk). 

I have had a contractor quote Certainteed Monogram 46 Vinyl Siding.  Anyone have any experience with this product?

Thanks,

Ken

django11

• Canuckistani
Re: Vinyl Siding
« Reply #1 on: 17 Mar 2011, 01:05 am »
I don't know that particular brand.  Vinyl is a good product if you like the look.  It can break if impacted violently but it won't dent like aluminum (I'm not sure how it would stand up to golf ball sized hail?).   It expands and contracts following temperature so it shouldn't be nailed tightly (the contractor should know that).  The color is stable and, you know, it's plastic, it will probably last 400 hundred years...

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #2 on: 18 Mar 2011, 08:26 pm »
If you want to go with something greener, they make wood siding that is factory painted and comes with a twenty five year warranty.  That is 25 years on the paint but is is supposed to last longer...

spudco

« Reply #3 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:33 pm »
Also consider pre-painted fiber cement siding.  Very durable - looks like painted wood siding.

Randy

« Reply #4 on: 24 Mar 2011, 02:49 pm »
My house was finished in Masonite, too. I had steel siding put on a couple of years ago. They took off all the Masonite, obviously, started with some new insulation and topped it off with beautiful steel siding. Hard to believe how much warmer my house is in winter.

http://www.abcseamless.com/index.php/products/siding/

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #5 on: 6 Apr 2011, 04:54 pm »
Cement fiberboard is really hard to nail, but comes pre-primed, looks great, totally fire safe, and is very durable.

Vinyl can break under lawnmower attack, looks OK except up close, is cheap, and can be very easy to install.  But there are some tricks to it.  Check out the contractor's previous work, looking for beveled cuts on window trim and locking "C-channel" at overhangs.  Vinyl does have a number of options: contrasting colored trim, wider trim, ship lap or dutch lap, wider laps, even with built in styrofoam insulating backing or vinyl covered aluminum (keeps long runs running straight).

JLM

« Reply #6 on: 11 Apr 2011, 02:23 am »
Saw a "This Old House" (or was it "This New House"?).

They were demostrating solid PVC siding.  About the same cost as wood, but wood rots and can be termite food.  PVC can be painted (and takes it very well), but expands alot.  So pieces are connected end to end and allowed to move lengthwise.  The matching corner trim allows for lots of movement and it even comes with fill pieces for the gaps between corner pieces and the ship lapped pieces of siding.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #7 on: 11 Apr 2011, 03:01 am »
Vinyl can fade.  Badly.  Good luck with matching a replacement piece.  Wind can also tear it off.

Hardie plank is NOT hard to nail.  All you need is an air nailer (once you use it you'll  throw away your hammer)   :lol:  Requires a good dusk mask and goggles and a special mitre/table/circular saw blade.  Other than that, works like wood but is brittle/fragile until you get it on the house.  Then it's great!

There's another product called "Smart Siding" that I've had great luck with. I think Louisiana Pacific makes it.  Comes pre-primed, bug deterent built in, looks great, comes in 5/4" for corners, soffit and fascia, 4x8 sheets plain and beaded, and very easy to work with.  Very nice and durable.

JLM

« Reply #8 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:25 am »
thunderbrick, regarding your catch:

http://www.lpcorp.com/smartside/

All sorts of trim, fascia, siding, easier to use than fiber cement, termite proof, pre-primed available, BUT...

Many law suits pending, hasn't held up well, except in dry climates.

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #9 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:35 am »
WOW!  Didn't know that!  i live in the humid Midwest and have had great luck with for nearly 15 years.   :scratch:

Phil A

« Reply #10 on: 20 Apr 2011, 01:56 am »
My house was finished in Masonite, too. I had steel siding put on a couple of years ago. They took off all the Masonite, obviously, started with some new insulation and topped it off with beautiful steel siding. Hard to believe how much warmer my house is in winter.

http://www.abcseamless.com/index.php/products/siding/

That's interesting and good to know.  Not quite ready yet but I've had vinyl siding blow off.  I'm up on a small hill and several of my neighbors have had that problem too.  I had the builder's grade crap windows changed about 20 months back and I have two zone heating and the main zone went last year and was replaced.  The improvements are better on comfort and the wallet.  I'd imagine in a half dozen years I'll be needing to get serious about looking siding and roofing.

jobrizzle7481

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jun 2011, 04:00 am »
If you decide to go with vinyl siding I would take down your existing first and put new house wrap on and start from scratch.  Wrapping the house is easy and is just done with stapes.  All you have to do is make the cut outs for windows and such.  If not, you have to make sure the surface that you are siding on is completely flat, if not, the vinyl siding which is already succeptible to warp will be completely destroyed within a short period of time and have to start over.  In construction it is always better to start new if possible.  Any kind of band aid or cover up will always show in the end and you won't be happy.