Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

Saturn94

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #1340 on: 17 Nov 2018, 05:47 pm »
I’ll guess yes... I just found it myself on Roon/Tidal and added it to my library. I’m really looking forward to listening to this one later on this weekend  :thumb:

JD

Thanks. :)

mevans

« Reply #1341 on: 5 May 2019, 09:47 pm »
Let It Go - Clair Marlo  -- Sheffield Lab (gold)

Big Notes - Flim and the BB's -- DMP (gold)

Tricycle - Flim and the BB's -- DMP (gold)

This Guy's in Love With You -- Arthur Prysock -- Milestone

Persuasions -- Persuasions Sing the Beatles -- Chesky

wout31

Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #1342 on: 13 Sep 2019, 08:09 am »
I don't know if any of these items have ever been pointed out in this thread as I'm not allowed to search in the thread.   :(

My favourite tracks to test my 2-channel system is with fifties recordings that have not been contaminated with all kinds of digital gimmicks (maybe a few in re-mastering)
Looking at that period, the Capitol, RCA en CBS recordings always stand out. With Capitol at the asbolute top.

To mention a few:
My man - Peggy Lee. To see if your system is able to let you hear the difference between a kick drum and a string bass that are very close and on the same channel.
There is no sweet man that's worth the salt of my tears - Peggy Lee. That voice (in all of her songs) is simple magic and very well recorded for the time thanks to Olson and his design of RCA mics.
Isle of Capri - Frank Sinatra. The roar of those drums gives me goose bumps every time I play it. And that "just behind the beat" singing of Frankie is unmatched
Just walking in the rain - (gentleman) Jim Reeves. That very low RCA bass and the rock solid recording of that magic voice.

In the "old" recordings on the other side of the ocean Decca is a name worth mentioning and Parlophone (EMI) as second.
You don't know - Billy Fury
I'm looking out the window - Cliff Richard (original by Peggy Lee has more feel to it, but is too old for me to be a fine recording)

OK, for some more modern material
Bubbles - Yosi Horikawa. Nice playing with all kinds of ball sounds. Can you point them all out?
Draw your swords - Agnus and Julia Stone (by the end of the song it gets too messy the rest if fine)
Walking on the moon - Yuri Honing
Maze - Olaf Stuut
Die Tänzerin - Ulla Meinecke (sings in German, so not everybody's cup of coffee. But very nice electronic sound and beautiful decay in here singing)
Nardis - Patricia Barber. Drum solo, drum solo and drum solo. Please search for the unmastered version
Misa Criola: Kyrie - Mercedes Sosa. The space around that chorus, the lead voice and the delicate instruments

Sure there are plenty more good tracks, but I keep coming back to most of these over and over again.
Enjoy your music.

charmerci

« Reply #1343 on: 13 Sep 2019, 03:48 pm »
I don't know if any of these items have ever been pointed out in this thread as I'm not allowed to search in the thread.   :(

Page 57 has a two post summary Fishinbob made of the previous CD's.

wout31

« Reply #1344 on: 14 Sep 2019, 06:46 pm »
I'm a bit confused here.
The initial request was:
"I am looking more towards the traditional 2 CD stereo CD's....the ones that are really well produced, mixed  and have great dynamic range."
Looking at the list on page 57 I see several discs that may give some people a good feeling but do surely not meet any of the criteria mentioned in bold above. Or I might have the wrong CD release :(
Maybe I don't understand or the criteria have changed over time this thread is running?
I always relate to a specific track, not a complete CD. Because for me the track also has to be a well written, good arranged song before I can go and listen to the more technical side.
But hey, that's just me.
Enjoy the music.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1345 on: 14 Sep 2019, 08:39 pm »
You are probably right that not every recording on that list belongs, but most do.  Take for what it is, a collection of recommendations from lots of people with varied taste and interpretations if the qualifier "Outstanding"

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1346 on: 20 Sep 2019, 07:59 pm »
Hello Guys and Gals

I havent posted here in awhile...but I have looked in from time to time...

Spending my time minding the Headphone Mania circle.

I auditioned some stuff locally and heard a CD that made my hair stand up it was so good!

Patricia Barber's Verse.

Outstanding, 10 out of a 10.

It may not be your taste in music but it will rock the socks off in imagery, tonality....percussion, human voice ....absolutley wonderful.

Guys at the local audio store gave it to me for listening ...

I bought it immediately:

https://www.allmusic.com/album/verse-mw0000223867

Enjoy!
Alex

kclark0395

« Reply #1347 on: 2 Jan 2020, 02:37 am »
"Verse" is one pf my favorite Patricia Barber releases but anything by her is going to sound amazing. Modern Cool on LP is another fantastic release. Living near Chicago I've seen her live performance several times and the musicianship is incredible.

golddustpeak

« Reply #1348 on: 2 Jan 2020, 01:51 pm »
Haas anyone heard  “Something Colorful” by the Daniel Glass Trio?

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1349 on: 2 Jan 2020, 02:09 pm »
I'm a bit confused here.
The initial request was:
"I am looking more towards the traditional 2 CD stereo CD's....the ones that are really well produced, mixed  and have great dynamic range."
Looking at the list on page 57 I see several discs that may give some people a good feeling but do surely not meet any of the criteria mentioned in bold above. Or I might have the wrong CD release :(
Maybe I don't understand or the criteria have changed over time this thread is running?
I always relate to a specific track, not a complete CD. Because for me the track also has to be a well written, good arranged song before I can go and listen to the more technical side.
But hey, that's just me.
Enjoy the music.

Understand what your saying wout31.

The original intent of mine when I started this list was to find really well recorded and mastered 2 channel stereo recordings while waiting for my Salk Songtowers to arrive. I was curious to what other enthusiats were listening to that they thought were really outstanding CD's...and yes ome might not live up to ones expectations for many reasons, but everyones expectations are not alike and we all have tastes and hear things diffrently.

Over time I believe most of whats in this thread are good examples of good material and depending on what your looking for in a well recorded and mastered recording some will be better than others. My music tastes vary widely and some of the stuff on the list I just do not like, but they still may be very well produced. Accuracy, soundstage, imaging from mic'ing, tonality, compression and soooo many other things come into play.

The thread was started just to share "good stuff" with the members and I think it has done this well over time.

Also there are differences in the same material from original release and format to re-releases and mastering for sure....

Welcome to the circle and like uou say:

"Enjoy The Music!!"

Alex

CL418

« Reply #1350 on: 4 Jan 2020, 05:26 pm »
Alex,

That is a good summary - and, being a newbie, is the reason I joined this site.  Getting some music ideas from fellow listeners.

If we stay on CD format music, I also like a wide variety of music.  For some amazing production, I would suggest most any of the Todd Garfinckle productions on his label, m-a recordings.  A lot of them are very high resolution digital recordings that sound very good.  I first read about them in a Herb Reichert review in Stereophile.  The sound of the space in which they were recorded is what I listen for when I hear a new system.

For dynamics, I have a number of friends who use Telarc recordings of the 1812 Overture or the Firebird Suite.  They sound pretty digital to me, but they sure are dynamic!  I just use jazz combos or rock that is really well recorded and play at room filling volume.  Dynamics to me is just the realistic sound of individual instruments that crescendo in a realistic way.

Regards, CHRIS

charmerci

« Reply #1351 on: 6 May 2020, 04:22 am »
It's been a while since I've heard it - but just recently I had it on again. Very impressive!  :o
Ben Webster - At the Renaissance
(Straight ahead mainstream live jazz)
385,000+ views!
(Since this thread has slowed down, maybe someone can take the lists from p.57 and update the rest since and post a new list?)

Jeff in the D

« Reply #1352 on: 15 Dec 2021, 05:43 pm »
Listening to New York Trio, their CD "The Things We Did Last Summer", track #3, "How Long Has This Been Going On" and track #4, "How High the Moon". Quite excellent.  But then again, I feel the entire CD to be excellent. Enjoy.
cheers,
Jeff

wilbur_the_goose

« Reply #1353 on: 21 Dec 2021, 04:33 pm »
John Mayer concert Blu Ray disc - "Vultures".

Jeff in the D

« Reply #1354 on: 7 Jan 2022, 08:47 pm »
Listening to New York Trio again, their CD "Blues In the Night", track #5- "My Funny Valentine", track #7- "Embraceable You", track #8-  "Don't Explain", very nice.  The entire CD is quite good. Perfect to show off your system.

cheers,
Jeff

Jeff in the D

« Reply #1355 on: 17 Jan 2022, 08:37 pm »
Listening to Kool & Klean Volume 1, (AKA Konstantin Klashtorni). I like all of this CD but especially the track "The Sea". Love the bass line and subtle layering of detail. It's Jazz (of the Smooth flavor I guess), but there's this hint of Electronica or Trance, cant quite put my finger on it. Makes for great audio to show off your 2 channel system.

Jeff

bkatbamna

« Reply #1356 on: 17 Jan 2022, 10:00 pm »

Jeff in the D

« Reply #1357 on: 24 Jan 2022, 06:35 pm »
Listening to Paul Hardcastle VII. Well produced and engineered, at least IMHO. Especially track #3, Summer Love. Sounds a whole lot like Kool and the Gang's "Summer Madness" which anyone from SE Michigan will recognize as the late night radio host Alan Almond's theme (WNIC late night Adult radio program Pillow Talk).
Sounds fantastic on my SS8s.

Jeff

dwmaggie

• First memory of music was parents Zenith portable.
« Reply #1358 on: 24 Jan 2022, 08:34 pm »
And now for something completely different.....
The Rounder Subcompact Disc Volume 2,  Rockin' Roots.   Very well recorded, very good dynamic range and dynamics, performances top notch.
Back on the other hand.....
Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique, op. 14.   Track 4 is especially difficult for amps and speakers, starts at a very low level and progresses to bombastic dynamics and very loud passages.

Jeff in the D

« Reply #1359 on: 1 Feb 2022, 07:50 pm »
Listening to Melody Gardot, Sunset in the Blue, nice album, well recorded. Especially enjoyed her duet with Gordon Sumners (aka Sting). This may not be an "outstanding demo cd" but it's very good nonetheless.

Jeff