Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

SCompRacer

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #1280 on: 16 Mar 2015, 10:40 pm »
One of my desert island choices and demo albums on vinyl would be Talk Talk / Colour Of Spring. Hollis's nasally vocals have always set a hook in me. This album stepped away from the synthesized pop of their earlier albums. One of my fav tracks is the first, Happiness Is Easy. This track features drums, three percussionists, a wicked snare, weird chord, a very closely miked accoustic bass, electric bass, guitar, piano, Steve Winwood on a Hammond organ and a children's choir. The acoustic guitar and piano seem to dance gracefully in and out. On a good system some of the notes from the eight supporting musicians can be surprising; on a great system they can be startling.

Surprised Patty Larkin / Regrooving the Dream well recorded CD isn't mentioned. 'Hand Full of Water' features an acoustic guitar with notes that decay into tomorrow. 'When' has a blistering guitar and drum duel. 'Mink Coats,' haunting vocals and deep drum.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1281 on: 27 Mar 2015, 10:13 am »
Thanks for the recommendation!!

This thread has not seen a lot of activity in the past few months, so its good to see people post great sounding cds etc!!

All the best!
Alex

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #1282 on: 27 Mar 2015, 01:27 pm »
Surprised Patty Larkin / Regrooving the Dream well recorded CD isn't mentioned. 'Hand Full of Water' features an acoustic guitar with notes that decay into tomorrow. 'When' has a blistering guitar and drum duel. 'Mink Coats,' haunting vocals and deep drum.
Good choice.  Her "Angels Running" is usually cited more in audiophool circles, but "Regrooving" is also a very high quality cd.  It is especially good for listening for a wide sound stage. 

jimdgoulding

« Reply #1283 on: 27 Mar 2015, 01:54 pm »
Now, I've got to find my Patty Larkin CD.  Might be "Angles Running" come to think about it.  Haven't listened to it in a very long time.  Thanks, Scomp, Scott.  Mapleshade has already been mentioned.  Ani DiFranco's "Up ,up, up, up, up" has terrific sound and imagery.  And this one has GOT to be in the running for great sound, "The Splendour of Al-Andalus" by Calamus on period instruments from M-A Recordings.

Frans

• Has anyone seen my last marble?
« Reply #1284 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:47 pm »
One of my desert island choices and demo albums on vinyl would be Talk Talk / Colour Of Spring.

The CD or SACD?

Frans

« Reply #1285 on: 29 Mar 2015, 02:52 pm »
Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase.

Get the Blu-ray audio if you can, it's an audiophile's dream in addition to being a creative masterpiece.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand._Cannot._Erase.

SCompRacer

« Reply #1286 on: 31 Mar 2015, 05:03 am »
The CD or SACD?

I have it on vinyl and CD. Even though I built a real nice DAC, vinyl gets the nod for best sound here. ;)

Frans

« Reply #1287 on: 31 Mar 2015, 02:09 pm »
I have it on vinyl and CD. Even though I built a real nice DAC, vinyl gets the nod for best sound here. ;)

Yes, the CD is unremarkable. The SACD however, is one of my favorite audiophile quality demo discs. It's that good. Just FYI in case you enjoy this album as much as I do.

sfox7076

« Reply #1288 on: 19 Oct 2015, 05:38 pm »
Used Hour of the Bewilderbeast by Badly Drawn Boy this weekend.  It's an interesting test disc as it has a little of everything.

ClarkFan

« Reply #1289 on: 21 Oct 2015, 02:56 pm »
One to add:

http://archive.richardthompson-music.com/album.asp?id=74

Live recording of Richard Thompson with very good guitar sound.  The range of music is remarkable, too.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #1290 on: 8 Nov 2015, 03:59 am »
One of my favorite cuts is from Blue Coast Records (the E.S.E. sessions), tracks 1 and 5 right here:

http://bluecoastrecords.downloadsnow.net/blue-coast-collection-remastered

Available in FLAC to Quad DSD, or CD.

Tremendous space, detail, timbre, etc...

Enjoy!

Anand.

TWINSKI66

« Reply #1291 on: 1 Nov 2017, 10:32 pm »
Thanks for the music share about the group TALK TALK.  I bought The Colour of Spring & Spirit of Eden on 180g vinyl.  CDs were included (actually DVD-Audio discs).  These are fantastic albums....remarkable...in that they do not sound dated.  So happy to have found these through this thread.

birbygdad

« Reply #1292 on: 2 Nov 2017, 06:04 am »
Gregory Porter has a new record of Nat King Cole songs that is magnificent. Orchestral arrangements are wonderful. Listening on my present speakers but looking forward to my Song 3 speakers. Great music on any system.

lokie

« Reply #1293 on: 2 Nov 2017, 12:36 pm »
Martin Taylor- "Solo"

For Treble energy and all around smoothness.

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones- "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo"

For deep bass and the sound of "rubbery" and 3 dimensional Bass.

Jessica Williams- "Live at Yoshi's Vol. 1"

Covers the whole key board... up and down the scales sometimes simultaneously w the right and left hand. For me, there is also an emotional connection that I want to feel. It's almost like a few of the songs take you on a journey not unlike a long musical arrangement in a movie. A well recorded Live Jazz recording in a small room is a lot of fun on a good system.

Led Zeppelin- "Houses of the Holy"

OK, OK... not the greatest sounding album of all time but it's Rock and Roll... get over it. What it does have, that is of concern w an audiophile, is stop and start dynamics of epic proportions. The first drum and guitar blasts in "No Quarter" should put a giant smiling snarl on your face. This should not sound whimpy.

The Who- "Live at Leads- Remastered"

A Rock album that needs no excuses. All the players are exactly where they are supposed to be in the sound-stage. And it's live!.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1294 on: 7 Nov 2017, 02:58 pm »
Its great to see that people are starting to add to the list of outstanding demo cds!!
Thanks!

Just ordered the Who from Amazon!

Alex

eriksven

« Reply #1295 on: 3 Dec 2017, 05:12 am »
One of my favorite playlists is this "Songs to Test Headphones With" on Spotify.  Very eclectic.  The first song sounds really 3D with the right setup. Here's the link so you can see what's in there (or listen, if you can put up with 320kbps--I can't tell the difference).

https://open.spotify.com/user/spotify/playlist/37i9dQZF1DWZtZ8vUCzche#_=_

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #1296 on: 4 Dec 2017, 11:12 pm »
eriksven,

Thanks for the link, its pretty neat and there are many of these selections I have never heard of.
Even at 320kbps at least u can listen and if you like the style you can always get the cd or look on other HD sites if
desired!

Thanks Again
Alex

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #1297 on: 5 Dec 2017, 01:00 pm »
Great playlist, thank you!

TWINSKI66

« Reply #1298 on: 15 Jan 2018, 04:46 pm »
This...

https://open.spotify.com/album/2OzqP2SxEB6mMZVQrJrVeT?si=rgIpfQGwTp-5VKGghdPOZA

Note:  One of countless examples from the ECM catalogue.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2018, 07:09 pm by TWINSKI66 »

mixsterdude

« Reply #1299 on: 27 Jan 2018, 05:33 am »
This...

https://open.spotify.com/album/2OzqP2SxEB6mMZVQrJrVeT?si=rgIpfQGwTp-5VKGghdPOZA

Note:  One of countless examples from the ECM catalogue.

Twinski, thank you for that recommendation!!  That’s one of the best albums I’ve listened to in a while.  Just outstanding!

That Talk Talk album was a great recommendation by SCompRacer too!!