Outstanding Demo CD's etc...

adydula

• Restricted
Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« on: 19 Jan 2009, 11:11 pm »
Ok,

I  know there are bits and pieces of great music in many threads, but I would like to see a thread that has references to really great recordings that you all have experienced. The kind you play to show off your Song Towers....and for that matter any of the Salk or other speakers.

Yes I have a hidden agenda here, I am a few weeks away (fingers crossed) from taking delivery of a new pair of SongTowers..and want to try some new stuff!!

I have hundreds of CD's and have some favorites I will share as well.

I am not a snobby type of person and dont care if its Jazz, Rock or Classical....

I am looking more towards the traditional 2 channel stereo cd's....the ones that are really well produced, mixed  and have great dynamic range..

So I will start it off with a few of my favorites:

Richard Souther's "Cross Currents."
Year Released: 1990.

Track 5 : Mary's Question and the transistion into Track 6: High Tide.

The entire cd is very well recorded and really shines in my humble opinion. I believe its classified as "New Age". I very much like the entire CD and it has many low to high transitions, synths, snappy sounds and just a great all around demo CD.

Ok thats one....I will add many more over the life of this thread!

Alex

PART ONE & PART TWO LINK TO LIST of RECOMMENDED CDs in THIS Thread as of 11/12/09:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63936.msg693819#msg693819

PART THREE LINK TO LIST of RECOMMENDED CDs In THIS Thread as of 12/29/09:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63936.msg712398#msg712398

PART FOUR LINK TO LIST of RECOMMENDED CDs In THIS Thread as of 9/29/10:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63936.msg842137#msg842137

« Last Edit: 2 Jan 2020, 02:00 pm by adydula »

Mag

Re: Outstanding Demo CD's etc...
« Reply #1 on: 20 Jan 2009, 12:05 am »
My demo disc for showing off dynamic range if I had someone to demo for, would be Kitaro-Cirque Ingenieux- New Age, electronic.
 It's also one of my favorite music albums, though I'm sure not very many people share my taste in music. Be careful with the volume control on this, the bass has a sonic boom like quality.
Speaking of sonic boom like quality bass. You might try the song by Rob Zombie- Reload. Again be careful with the volume control! :nono:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 20 Jan 2009, 12:19 am »
Mag,

Thanks for the suggestions, I will add as you warn alot of the really wide dynamic range cds will 'hurt' things if the volume isnt judiciously applied !!  I always listen thru at a lower level and go back and crank it up etc...

I have popped things in my younger days!!

I will look into the Kitaro-Cirque Igenieux New Age....some i like some i dont, but at least we can explore and find new things that will make us smile!

One of the classic "Gold Master" type of demo CD is the original "James Newton Howard and Friends: on the Sheffield Labs Lable.  It's a collaborative effort between James Newton Howard on the keyboard and Jeff Porcaro on drums. The album was originally recorded directly to disk with only one break.

It can be bought on Amazon for $4-5 bucks!!!

It was released way back in 1985 and has stood the test of time.

Track 6 " Borealis: is really awesome to me...talk about transparency....

The whole CD will make you smile!!!!!

Enjoy
Alex

carusoracer

« Reply #3 on: 20 Jan 2009, 03:24 pm »
I'm not sure if Jim is still doing it but...The Salk Demo disc that was provided with my speakers is very good. :thumb:

I find that there really is no need for a "Demo Disc" as I'm a professed Demo Compilation junky. The Salk products will clearly show off the good and the not sound good qualities of all music recordings. You will hear many things on tracks and rediscover your own collection of tunes 8)

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #4 on: 20 Jan 2009, 07:50 pm »
Understand the no need for a demo disc or cd..but the deal here is to share the best of the best that each of have heard over time...they for many are demo cd's the ones we show of our systems by etc...and I am looking forward to Jims CD for sure.

Music being as it is covers such a very wide variety of differnt styles / types etc.....so many songs, tunes, cds etc....

I do indeed look forward to re-listening to many of my existing CD's but look forward to many new ones, ones that I may not even be aware of.....

Some of the stuff that I consider really great stuff (demo or not) are 10-20 yers old, and some people may not even have heard of them...

So the intent here is to share the enjoyment, whats really good to listen to on great speakers etc...

So ok guys/gals lets have it!!

Alex
 :D

TJC712

« Reply #5 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:16 am »
Jim Salk just alerted me to this thread.  He's probably getting tired of all the emails I've sent elaborating on how great a track sounded on my new Song Towers (he's always looking to add tracks to his demo CD).  I just received the ST/RT's on Fri.  I have to say that everything that I play through them sounds GREAT.  Even more amazing is that I'm currently using them with a Samsung HT amp; no high end, big dollar source equipment.  Still, every track that I throw at them sounds GREAT. Deep, rich, clean, "musical" bass response that seems to contradict what I see (Where's it coming from?")... distinct, articulate mids... ribbon tweeters that just soar... I just keep on getting blown away.  I physically removed the Samsung Sub... sounds better without it.

Anyway, everyday brings new pleasure as I listen to a variety of music.  Tracks I've heard many times before are bringing smiles to my face as I hear them for the first time through the ST's.  Jim suggested I share some of these on this thread... Love to!

Some Other Sunset, My Romance by David Benoit on the Waiting for Spring CD
Walk Between the Raindrops, The Goodbye Look, Ruby Baby by Donald Fagen... The Nightfly CD
Any track off of Aja or Two Against Nature by Steely Dan
There's a Small Hotel... Tony Bennett... Sings the Rogers and Hart Songbook
Freedom is a Voice... Bobby McFerrin
Return to Paradise... Shirley Horn... Here's to Life CD
Any track off of the Two Men With the Blues CD which is a live concert by Willie Nelson and Wynton Marsalis
God Bless the Child... Old Blood, Sweat and Tears
Precious by Esperanza Spalding... Esperanza CD
This Moment Is All There Is by Lenny Kravitz... Love Revolution CD
Nora Jones Cold, Cold Heart... Come Away with Me CD
I Was Brought to my Senses.. Sting's Mercury Falling CD
As If We Never Said Goodbye... Tony Corbiscello Big Band... Real Time CD (Top shelf trumpet playing)

For you HT people...
The Sting DVD "All This Time" which was recorded at his villa in Italy on 9/11/01 is pretty special... again, blew me away thru the ST's

OK, that's enough for now before you guys ban me! 

carusoracer

« Reply #6 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:47 am »
McIntosh SACD Demo disc
NYAR Rave disc 07-08
Naim Samplers
Jazz at the Pawnshop

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jan 2009, 12:56 am »
TJC

WOW!!

Many thanks for the list!!! Its pretty impressive.

I have listened to Blood Sweet and Tears, way back when I don't have any of their discs, but have some really old vinyl...but no turntable,
but I will look into getting this on a CD.

I have lots of David Benoit but not the one you mention.

Nora Jones I do have and I melt in my listening chair everytime I play this CD!!  :D

Thanks much for the list, this is exactly what I was looking for and hope others share their experience etc..

Another of my favorites is another Steve Bach:

"More Than a Dream"
Released in 1988

Its a wonderful, instrumental that is "alive" with keyboards and the like...listen to the wonderful Korg M1 on the "RainDance" track. "For a Long Time" and "Fast Break" have had lots of airtime. Whatever your taste in instrumental music I guarantee that there will be at least one track on this CD that will please.

Back has played with Stanley Clarke and Kitaro, this was I think his 4th CD and its probably the most popular and its really done very well.

All the best
Alex

Carusoracer....YES "Jazz at the Pawnshop" I bought the original vinyl many years back and have the cd's ,,its and stadard that I used to really enjoy on my Magnpans (another long time ago!!). I cant wait to play this set on the QWT's!
« Last Edit: 21 Jan 2009, 02:22 am by adydula »

TJC712

« Reply #8 on: 21 Jan 2009, 03:33 am »
Ya know, you just made me realize that my "Jazz from the Pawnshop" is missing. I'm downloading from Amazon as we speak. Haven't listened to that in a while.  I'll have to check out Steve Bach tracks.   Chet Baker's Last Great Concert is a favorite also.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:27 am »
Here's a list of tracks from some of the NY Audio Rave Cd's...all good tunes... :thumb:

Wynton Marsalis Quartet - "Feeling Of Jazz" (The Magic Hour)

The Bad Plus - " Keep The Bugs Off Your Glass, And The Bears Off Your Ass" (These Are The Vistas)

Bozzio, Levin, Stevens - "Duende" (Black Light Syndrome)

Ben Harper - "Gold To Me" (Fight for Your Mind)

Morphine - "Buena" (Cure for Pain)

Nils Lofgren - "Keith Don’t Go" (Acoustic Live)

Mino Cinelu - "Oncoming Horizons" (Mino Cinelu)

Copland - "Fanfare For The Common Man" (Copland: Appalachian Spring; Rodeo; Fanfare for the Common Man -Louis Lane, and Atlanta Symphony Orchestra on Telarc)

Ben Vaughn - “Too Happy” (Designs in Music)

Rimsky-Korsakov - “Dance Of The Tumblers”  (Eiji Oue/ Minnesota Orch.)

Dean Peer -“Mars” (Think...It's All Good)

Weather Report - "Confians" (Sportin' Life)

Bernadette Peters - "Blackbird" (I'll Be Your Baby Tonight)

And my fav.... :rock:

ZZ Top - ""La Grange" (Tres Hombres)  :beer:

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #10 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:44 am »
Here's a list of tracks from some of the NY Audio Rave Cd's...all good tunes... :thumb:

Wynton Marsalis Quartet - "Feeling Of Jazz" (The Magic Hour)

The Bad Plus - " Keep The Bugs Off Your Glass, And The Bears Off Your Ass" (These Are The Vistas)

Bozzio, Levin, Stevens - "Duende" (Black Light Syndrome)

Ben Harper - "Gold To Me" (Fight for Your Mind)

Morphine - "Buena" (Cure for Pain)

Nils Lofgren - "Keith Don’t Go" (Acoustic Live)

Mino Cinelu - "Oncoming Horizons" (Mino Cinelu)

Copland - "Fanfare For The Common Man" (Copland: Appalachian Spring; Rodeo; Fanfare for the Common Man -Louis Lane, and Atlanta Symphony Orchestra on Telarc)

Ben Vaughn - “Too Happy” (Designs in Music)

Rimsky-Korsakov - “Dance Of The Tumblers”  (Eiji Oue/ Minnesota Orch.)

Dean Peer -“Mars” (Think...It's All Good)

Weather Report - "Confians" (Sportin' Life)

Bernadette Peters - "Blackbird" (I'll Be Your Baby Tonight)

And my fav.... :rock:

ZZ Top - ""La Grange" (Tres Hombres)  :beer:

What timing.  I was just listening to a copy of the "Reference Tracks"-2006 from a NY audio rave that Chris sent me about a year ago.  Most of the above songs were included and they are all top notch :thumb:

Scott

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 21 Jan 2009, 05:35 pm »
Lonewolf, S Clark...

Thanks for the listings!!

I do have the Telarc's early CD of Copelands Fanfare!!! Yes its pretty good!

They have a telarc volume 1 sampler on Amazon for 92 cents!!! yes less than a buck with $3 shipping and handling!!  :o

I will have to pick up the Bernadtte Peters one..this sounds great to me.

Where can you get the reference tracks 2006 you mention?

Thanks
Alex

charmerci

« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2009, 06:14 pm »
Each of these CD's not only sound great but the performances are flawless and stunning. All jazz except Simon.

Dave Grusin's Discovered Again -

Cripple Creek Breakdown
Sun Song
Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow

Every instrument sounds exactly like it should. (The old version had quite a bit of tape hiss.)

Bill Evans - Waltz for Debbie (though you have to put up with clinking glasses and some background conversation and mumbling throughout the performance)

Interestingly, I have a few CD's that sound just OK at moderate levels but when I really turn up the volume, i.e. just before my tiny little woofers bottom out, they sound as close to live as you can get. Gotta turn off those lights.

Paul Simon's There Goes Rhymin' Simon
(This is the original CD. I haven't heard the remastered version. I sometimes find the remastered CD's -especially 24bit ones - metalic sounding)

Zoot Sims At Ease - Alabamy Home

Junior Mance at the Village Vanguard

Bob in St. Louis

• Volunteer
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
« Reply #13 on: 21 Jan 2009, 07:15 pm »
Yes they are.  aa

Bob

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:01 am »
Charmerci!

I am slowly letting out all my favorites and exceptional CD's...and Dave Grusin in on my list as well!!

Discovered Again is really a treat.

A lot of the early GRP lable CD's are really, really good.

I will share my GRP list over time as well.

The James Newton Howard and Friends is an early GRP label....

The musicians on these GRP  discs are really professional, outstanding  artists and they did a really great job mastering and
producing the tracks for sure.

Later
Alex

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #15 on: 22 Jan 2009, 12:09 am »
My absolute favorite is Vienna Tang's "Waking Hour", with Lyle Lovette's "Joshua Judges Ruth" right behind it.

Mag

« Reply #16 on: 22 Jan 2009, 01:56 am »
My demo disc for showing off dynamic range if I had someone to demo for, would be New Age, electronic.
 It's also one of my favorite music albums, though I'm sure not very many people share my taste in music. Be careful with the volume control on this, the bass has a sonic boom like quality.
Speaking of sonic boom like quality bass. You might try the song by Rob Zombie- Reload. Again be careful with the volume control! :nono:

I wanted to add for those inclined to get this cd Kitaro-Cirque Ingenieux. That when I play this cd in stereo, the omni-directional properties of the bass are not as apparent as when I have the bass routed out of my sub in my MC setup. It will still be a full workout for any speaker that can play the whole sound spectrum.

TJC712

« Reply #17 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:11 am »
Each of these CD's not only sound great but the performances are flawless and stunning. All jazz except Simon.

Dave Grusin's Discovered Again -

Cripple Creek Breakdown
Sun Song
Keep Your Eye on the Sparrow

Every instrument sounds exactly like it should. (The old version had quite a bit of tape hiss.)

Bill Evans - Waltz for Debbie (though you have to put up with clinking glasses and some background conversation and mumbling throughout the performance)

Interestingly, I have a few CD's that sound just OK at moderate levels but when I really turn up the volume, i.e. just before my tiny little woofers bottom out, they sound as close to live as you can get. Gotta turn off those lights.

Paul Simon's There Goes Rhymin' Simon
(This is the original CD. I haven't heard the remastered version. I sometimes find the remastered CD's -especially 24bit ones - metalic sounding)

Zoot Sims At Ease - Alabamy Home

Junior Mance at the Village Vanguard

Grusin's Homage to Duke is killer stuff.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #18 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:25 am »
I bought most of the GRP Label CD's back when they first came out...they were really into the direct to disc, "do it non-stop in one siting mode"....quite electric, the original vinyl was awesome...but many are hard to obtain, the cds are readily available.

There is a very good Sampler called Creme de la Creme...Gourmet Selections from SHeffield Labs.

Another great one is the " I've got the music in me" by Thelma Houston & Pressure Cooker"  CD-2. (Circa 1975).

The vinyl was the best at the time, but the CD is really good as well.

Thanks everyones great cd's and selections....I will be spending some $$$$$ !!

Alex
 :thumb:

Freo-1

« Reply #19 on: 22 Jan 2009, 02:28 am »
Dead Can Dance Boxed Set.

The music is truly unique, and the recording quality is outstanding.   aa