Bent Audio NOH and Tap owners - what is your amplifier gain?

denjo

Hi Fellow Bent Audio owners
It might be interesting to find out the nature of your amplifier that you are matching with your Bent TVC. My amplifiers are the superb CIAudio D*200 Monos with 26 dB (XLR). With my SB3, CDP, radio tuner or TV source I find myself utilising the volume between the 20 and 30 range, giving me satisfactory sound levels. However, in the rare occasion when I play a SACD track or DVD movie (like "The Mission" starring Robert De Niro) I find myself cranking it up to 31 (unity) and occasionally when the dialogue softens, it is at maximum 34!! As you know, the 6 DB automatically engages for the TAP beyond 31. While 90% of my listening raises no issues with a 26 dB amplifier gain, it would be nice to have more headroom with DVDs. I wonder if any of you are experiencing the same concerns? Would appreciate your views and observations!

Best Regards
Dennis

denjo

Re: Bent Audio NOH and Tap owners - what is your amplifier gain?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2007, 12:37 am »
Are there no Bent Noh or TAP owners out there who might feel inclined to share?

samplesj

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2007, 01:57 am »
When I was running S&B TX102s (from Bent, but not a NOH) I was using a UCD400 amp.  26dB is the default gain for UCD400 modules (that is why the default D200 [modified UCD400 + custom power supply] is 26dB).

Let me ask this.  While you may want more gain is it really safe?  26dB is 20x.  So we have max power at 2v.  If your source puts out 2v (stock sb3 does) then you can't safely add ANY extra gain.  Please note I said SAFELY.  Yes I realize that if the current recording is not at reference level then you can push it up a bit to make it louder by pushing it past unity gain, but then anything at reference level will clip.

shib

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2007, 03:59 am »
I do not know what the exact gain of my amp is after I bypassed the volume pot, but 7W is plenty to drive my speakers.  I listen < 20 on the TAP.  I have a separate system for HT, so DVD's are not an issue.  Recently, I listen to everything from the Depeche Mode SACD's to the new Lauren White and Cowboy Junkies SACD's with no gain issues.  Sorry I could not be of more help. 

Tax

as a means to adding to the NoH knowledge base:

I use my NoH with Audio Note Conquest Silver Sigs with 100K Ohm input impedance with 250mV sensitivity for full output.