AudioKinesis 4th generation Big Horn Space Generators

borism

I am a very happy owner of Duke LeJeune's AudioKinesis Jazz Modules since 2010. Briefly, my listening room is our living room that has 5 large windows and an additional very large window (without any window treatments) on the front and the two side walls. Room treatments are not an option. The Jazz Modules replaced Thiel CS 2.4 speakers and were a significant upgrade for my circumstances. The JMs are about 5 feet from the front wall and are aimed to cross as per Duke's recommendation in front of the listening chair. An additional attraction of the JMs are the adjustability of the bass by changing the port length and of the high frequency by changing resistors in an external, crossover resistor bypassing cup on the rear of the speaker - "tilt control". All this has contributed to long term satisfaction.

The rest of my system has changed over the years considerably. At present, I have an Atma-Sphere S30 amplifier and an MP3 pre. In addition, I have an Almarro A318B and a Bottlehead Stereomour 2A3. The Almarro has seen the most usage recently. Phono pre is a Bottlehead Eros.

I have been intrigued reading about open baffle speakers but reluctant to consider them for 2 reasons, one being my room without the possibility of room treatments and the other that I just enjoy my Jazz Modules to much. So back to Duke whose philosophy if I understood correctly is to create tunable speakers that adjust to the room as opposed to adjusting the room to the speakers. I know that Duke used to have his own circle on AC and I'll invite him to respond and correct my misperceptions.

The "4th generation Big Horn Space Generators" arrived at my place about 6 weeks ago. Duke still uses the same cabinet maker that made my Jazz Modules. Fit and finish was perfect. I opted for satin black because the walnut finish on the JMs had faded somewhat over the years.

On the front is a potentiometer to set the volume for the Space Generators and binding posts to insert a resistor for treble tilt. The SGs are connected in parallel to the main speakers. The impedance of the SG depends on jumper, resistor or open circuit at those binding posts and varies between 20 (jumper) and 40 ohms (open circuit). Duke recommends using pink noise and setting the Sound Generator SPL about 10-12 dB lower than the main speakers.

It took some time to play with the settings and get a sense of what the SGs were contributing. My preconceived notion was an expanded (width, height, depth) space perception - as in Space Generator. Ultimately that is probably true but it was not the main effect for me. Nothing about the tonality of the sound changed. The way I can explain it best is a visual analogy. With the SGs the picture became more 3D and turning them off by simply turning the volume control to 0 the image flattened out and became more 2D. On some recordings closing my eyes gave me the wonderful perception of being "there". I should also note that I didn't perceive any negative effects. Duke mentioned that if the volume of the SGs was set to high there could be a smearing of the center image. I tuned the SGs just by ear and then checked the SPL and discovered that I was actually more than 12 dB below the main speaker SPL.

So, from my perspective if you can't tune your room but desire more 3D the Space Generators are highly recommended!   
« Last Edit: 16 Aug 2022, 06:18 pm by borism »

borism

Re: AudioKinesis 4th generation Big Horn Space Generators
« Reply #1 on: 16 Aug 2022, 05:02 pm »
My post was getting long so let me add some theory as I understand about the SGs.

According to Duke the SG covers 1 KHz and up. It adds spectrally correct, reverberant field energy starting in the upper reaches of the TAD woofer. I believe the crossover of the JMs is 1.7 KHz. The sound field becomes more directional above 1 KHz. By having the SGs aimed towards the front wall and up the reflected sound of the FW and ceiling arrives at the listening position more than 10 ms after the direct sound from the main speakers. This provides the ear with additional spatial information without interfering with the direct sound perception. In a way, it happens similarly to a live music venue.

However, that is theory and proof is in hearing.
« Last Edit: 18 Aug 2022, 02:34 pm by borism »

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Aug 2022, 05:13 pm »
The Audiokinesis room was the #1 audio room for sound quality at the last RMAF that Jason and I heard.  The punch and dynamics that a box speaker brings, along with the space and soundstage of an OB system.  Just phenomenal engineering.

Early B.

« Reply #3 on: 16 Aug 2022, 05:33 pm »

It took some time to play with the settings and get a sense of what the SGs were contributing. My preconceived notion was an expanded (width, hight, depth) space perception - as in Space Generator. Ultimately that is probably true but it was not the main effect for me. Nothing about the tonality of the sound changed. The way I can explain it best is a visual analogy. With the SGs the picture became more 3D and turning them off by simply turning the volume control to 0 the image flattened out and became more 2D. On some recordings closing my eyes gave me the wonderful perception of being "there". I should also note that I didn't perceive any negative effects.

I use a pair of Audiokinesis LCRs and your description mirrors my experience, except that the LCRs go much lower, so they also improve the quality of the bass. Quite frankly, music sounds dull without the LCRs engaged. They are, by far, the best "tweak" I've ever made. I tried to convince folks on AC to take a look at them. Even the home theater crowd understands the benefits of upward-firing "presence" speakers which serve a similar function. Glad to hear you're enjoying your space generators.

borism

« Reply #4 on: 16 Aug 2022, 05:44 pm »
"Dull" is a good description for music when turning off the SGs now. It's funny how fast one becomes accustomed.

jtcf

« Reply #5 on: 17 Aug 2022, 03:34 am »
Like having omni speakers but much more flexibility. I'll bet it sounds fantastic.

js1955

« Reply #6 on: 17 Aug 2022, 07:14 pm »
A buddy of mine also owns the original AK Jazz Modules, along with the same Atma-sphere amp and preamp as yourself.  He doesn't own the SGs but his rig always sounds excellent -- compelling, musical and immersive.  I can only imagine how good it would sound by adding the SGs!

Congrats on your SQ  improvement, hope you continue to enjoy the music!     :thumb:

borism

« Reply #7 on: 17 Aug 2022, 07:53 pm »
Thank you jtcf and js1955!

What amazes me is how affordable Duke's gear is in absolute terms and specially in relation to the quality provided and how few people seem to be taking advantage of this.

Now, if I could only find space for a Swarm bass system!