Von Schweikert and YFS team up to show VR-100XS at Axpona in March

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
Hello Fellow Audiophiles,

We have purchased one of the largest rooms at the Chicago Axpona venue coming up in March.  YFS Music Server Systems and Von Schweikert Audio have teamed up to assemble a huge statement system for the 22 x40 foot room on the Mezzanine floor.  This will be the World Premier of the VR-100XS speaker system, driven by KR Audio tube amplifiers on the midrange/tweeter stacks and solid state amplifiers by CI Audio on the external subs and woofers of the main towers.  We purchased the YFS music server a few months ago and are amazed at the realism of the sound quality - we have shelved our open reel tape decks and turntables in favor of high resolution audio files.  Yes, digital has grown up!

For those show-goers who will bring their treasured Red Book CD's to hear, we will also feature our Eera Tentation, billed as "the best CD player in the world" by the European press.   All cables will be furnished by Master-Built, a division of Delphi Aerospace.  The large room will be treated with room tuning products and we'll put on a show that you will not soon forget.  Be sure to come visit us if you're attending!

With Musical Pleasure,
Albert Von Schweikert

roscoeiii

Very excited to have you in my town for this show.

Will any other VSA speakers be at the show? I'd love a chance to hear the VR-22 or VR-44.

And please let me know if I can be of any assistance.

NewHTbuyer

Congrats on the debut of your new speaker system Albert.  I bet it will be the hit of the show.  I can't make it to Chicago, but I will definitely look for it or whichever models you bring to next year's RMAF.

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
We plan to have a static display of all of our models in the affordable price ranges from the VR-22's  $2,895/pr up to the VR-5 Anniversary Mk2 at $30,000/pr.  If enough people contact us to petition an audition of our new VR-22 system, we will plan on setting up a smaller system at one end of the 42 foot room and will do VR-22 demo's after hours.  Please vote on this idea by placing a request on this thread.  If enough audiophiles want to hear them, we'll bring them!

Musically yours,
A.V.S.

DiamondAF

Hi Albert,
Looking forward to hearing the VR-100s.  Do you plan on displaying any of your other speakers?
Thanks,
Duayne

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
We have enlisted several more room partners for the Chicago show in order to demo the VR-100XS with the finest equipment.  For the main system preamp, we have purchased the Purity Audio Ultra GT.  This has proven to be the best preamp we have heard, but it should be at $45,000! 
For the main amplifier driving the midranges and tweeters, we will be using our fabulous KR Audio "Kronzilla" SXi amplifier, those are the ones with the giant 18"-tall 1610 tubes!
For the DAC required by our YFS music server, my close friend Edward Meitner is supplying us with his world-class EMM Labs DAC2X.  We will be playing some DSD music files as well as 24/192 music files.  We will be playing all types of music, for all tastes.  For Sony Redbook CD's we will be using our Eera "Tentation" CD player, so don't forget to bring your best recordings to play on our new speaker system.
For room treatment, GIK Acoustics is custom building some 8-ft tall diffusion panels to eliminate the side wall reflections.  Channel Islands Audio will be supplying the XS subwoofer amplifiers as well as 400-watt (4 ohms) mono block amplifiers (D200Mk2) we are using to drive the woofers in the main VR-100 towers. 
All cabling will be supplied to us by Master-Built Audio Cables, designed and fabricated by Delphi Aerospace.  We predict that this room will be incredible, so please come by for a listen!

SundayNiagara

What will be the analog front end?

fplanner2000

It might also be nice to hear the new 44 aktivs well set-up to play.?  Yes Albert - I'm going to Axpona - you talked me into it....   :-)

Harve

fplanner2000

The woofers and the subs each need their own amps?

SundayNiagara

The woofers and the subs each need their own amps?

If I am following this correctly, the subs are powered and Albert will be bi-amping the tweeter-midrange units.

gammajo

Best wishes for a terrific show! Wish I could be there.

kernelbob

The VR100XS towers (bass drivers, mids, tweeter) can all be driven by one amp.  They're configured with biwire/biamp terminals with one set for the bass drivers and the other set for the mid/tweeters.  So, you can biwire or biamp the towers or use one connection and a jumper (not that anyone would want to do that).  I'll try both biwiring and biamping.  Up until a short time ago I had been biamping my current speakers, but with some amplifier changes I'm biwiring to better effect now.  I'll see how the VR100's respond to both configurations (play time!).  We discussed self-powering the woofers in the towers, but the consensus was that folks would want the maximum flexibility in configuring their system.

Each of the two XS subwoofers is self powered and is connected to the corresponding tower, not to a preamp.  The XS connection is only for signal, not to drive the woofers, so the amps driving the towers don't see the load of the XS woofers.  I expect the XS woofers are going to be an amazing part of the system.  Their contribution goes way beyond simply extending the bass range.  They work with the tower's bass drivers to neutralize room resonances.

Coincidentally, the room at Axpona has very similar dimensions (though, not as deep) as my room and I'm sure looking forward to hearing them there.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
We are honored to be part of yet another debut with Von Schweikert Audio. We are looking forward to hearing this new speakers system. As a slight correction, the Purity Audio Design 'Ultra GT Silver' in its Series 2 configuration is $53,000.

See everyone in Chicao in a few weeks :thumb: