Routers

slash71

Re: Routers
« Reply #20 on: 5 Nov 2019, 07:38 pm »
Placebo effect. 100% guaranteed.

It is literally impossible for digital audio signals to improve in any way that even vaguely aligns with your descriptions. It is analogous to using a different brand of SD card to get richer, more vibrant colours out of your digital camera. It is analogous to changing the ethernet cable on your computer to make web pages more insightful..

zoom25

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 5 Nov 2019, 08:11 pm »
Now that the microSD card had been brought up.  YES!  They do make a difference.   This could be manufacturer/model, speed of reading the files, uhs 1 vs. uhs 2, single layer capacity design vs mulit/quad, or ensuring 20% or more free space on the card.  Can be one or a multitude of factors.  If your digital audio uses microSD cards, this is important to consider.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #23 on: 5 Nov 2019, 09:15 pm »
  Well just for kicks I decided to try another power supply. A 5A 12V using a TWL HC PC instead of iFi [ which was a big improvement]. The linear power supply even better. OK good now lets try a different Ethernet [ 12 ft]. Installed a Monoprice Cat8. A little warme sound than the Staples Ethernet. After settling a bit not warm just better.

charles

slash71

« Reply #24 on: 5 Nov 2019, 10:04 pm »
Now that the microSD card had been brought up.  YES!  They do make a difference.   This could be manufacturer/model, speed of reading the files, uhs 1 vs. uhs 2, single layer capacity design vs mulit/quad, or ensuring 20% or more free space on the card.  Can be one or a multitude of factors.  If your digital audio uses microSD cards, this is important to consider.

Space and speed are two good attribute  but they don’t modify clarity and resolution of your  photo files nor the reproduction ..

slash71

« Reply #25 on: 6 Nov 2019, 07:37 am »

the end of the barrel !  :roll:

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 6 Nov 2019, 03:31 pm »
Placebo effect. 100% guaranteed.

It is literally impossible for digital audio signals to improve in any way that even vaguely aligns with your descriptions. It is analogous to using a different brand of SD card to get richer, more vibrant colours out of your digital camera. It is analogous to changing the ethernet cable on your computer to make web pages more insightful..

I know better than to engage here, but what the hell.....

I don't know how you could state this as fact. How do you know? I think is a fair question. I tend to not say things in absolute terms that I do not know about, and when I describe my findings, I try to qualify my statements as my own opinion and experiences. I don't think I have ever been 100% sure of anything related to audio, other than the truly literal things like, "this is an amplifier, this is a wire, this is a source, this is a speaker", etc.

ketcham

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 6 Nov 2019, 04:17 pm »
Regarding microSD cards.  This is what drives the firmware in certain applications.  Typically faster processors cause more noise/jitter.  However, we are finding with the UHS II microSD and high quality (aka fast) UHS I, the ability to access and process does indeed improve the presentation of the music.  There may exist a trade off but the benefit is there.

MicroSD cards are dirt cheap relative to our audio systems.  Try different ones and listen.  MicroSD cards can also fail (develop errors) and like a faulty valve (tube) the music still plays but the quality degrades significantly.  I have dealt with this exact issue in recent weeks.

slash71

« Reply #28 on: 7 Nov 2019, 01:25 am »
I know better than to engage here, but what the hell.....

I don't know how you could state this as fact. How do you know? I think is a fair question. I tend to not say things in absolute terms that I do not know about, and when I describe my findings, I try to qualify my statements as my own opinion and experiences. I don't think I have ever been 100% sure of anything related to audio, other than the truly literal things like, "this is an amplifier, this is a wire, this is a source, this is a speaker", etc.

Network equipment devices don’t sound , really.  It’s not my fact , is fact.

slash71

« Reply #29 on: 7 Nov 2019, 01:25 am »
Regarding microSD cards.  This is what drives the firmware in certain applications.  Typically faster processors cause more noise/jitter.  However, we are finding with the UHS II microSD and high quality (aka fast) UHS I, the ability to access and process does indeed improve the presentation of the music.  There may exist a trade off but the benefit is there.

MicroSD cards are dirt cheap relative to our audio systems.  Try different ones and listen.  MicroSD cards can also fail (develop errors) and like a faulty valve (tube) the music still plays but the quality degrades significantly.  I have dealt with this exact issue in recent weeks.

Bits don't work that way.
Whereas the placebo effect is very real and very powerful.

genjamon

« Reply #30 on: 7 Nov 2019, 01:28 am »
Yep, and it goes both ways.

slash71

« Reply #31 on: 7 Nov 2019, 12:14 pm »
I still don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Certainly doesn’t have anything to do with how actual systems in the real world work.

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #32 on: 7 Nov 2019, 02:36 pm »
What if it is not about bits at all? Noise, and its effects on Jitter are also very real, even in this domain.

genjamon

« Reply #33 on: 7 Nov 2019, 02:58 pm »
For example: All the bit fidelity in the world didn’t prevent you from coming to shit all over this thread.

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #34 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:02 pm »
I still don’t understand the point you’re trying to make. Certainly doesn’t have anything to do with how actual systems in the real world work.

It is very clear we hear a difference period. If you cannot accept that cool just leave us be.

charles

slash71

« Reply #35 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:33 pm »
For example: All the bit fidelity in the world didn’t prevent you from coming to shit all over this thread.

haha! this is the discless circle and not your "gilda"..  you're sure to know where you are?
you have finished the topics and are starting to get mad at me ..

slash71

« Reply #36 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:42 pm »
What if it is not about bits at all? Noise, and its effects on Jitter are also very real, even in this domain.

But it is incorrect to say that digital transmissions must be at the mercy of other phenomenon. Digital transmissions can defy physics. There are numerous techniques which ensure that a signal reaches the destination with precisely zero flipped bits and exact timing. And even when the signal has no integrity mechanisms, in practice the error rate will be low enough to never matter in practice.

And you know what, even if bits were getting flipped and jitter was extreme, you still wouldn't have signal degradation in the ways described by audiophiles; you would get a raised noise floor. Random error is noise. Noise is random error.

Of course this is never an issue. We can send digital signals that are millions of times more complex than digital audio, with zero problems, using equipment that is insanely cheap. The assertion that the extremely low data rate PCM audio signals have some special risk associated with them is delusional.

slash71

« Reply #37 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:49 pm »
   It is very clear we hear a difference period. If you cannot accept that cool just leave us be.

charles

clear , there's a new audiophile born every minute ..

rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 7 Nov 2019, 03:55 pm »
   Just replaced the FIOS LPS wall wart to the FIOS router to an ifi wall wart. Sounds better to me. More focused with less noise. Stage opened up a bit more as well.

charles

paul79

• Industry Participant
« Reply #39 on: 7 Nov 2019, 04:15 pm »
Charles, I recommend you try using Sbooster MK2 power supplies on everything attached to your audio network. I use them everywhere, including my Modem, Router, Switch, NAS.....
« Last Edit: 8 Nov 2019, 01:17 pm by paul79 »