ELAC DDP-2 - Screen Too Small - Worthless Remote

cloudbaseracer

ELAC DDP-2 - Screen Too Small - Worthless Remote
« on: 25 Oct 2019, 02:08 pm »
I have just received the DDP-2 and have a comment/question on it, and (in general) the new group of smaller form factor components coming to market. 

I do not understand what the intended use is for the DDP-2.  By that I mean, why send a remote when the screen is so small it cannot be read from more than 4 feet away?  I was excited about this piece and I really like a lot of the features but it is almost no use if I have to get up just to see which input I am selecting.  The whole purpose for streaming and having all the available inputs is to sit back and enjoy the tunes.

In a sad way, this seems like a major fail to me.   

What am I missing here?

Phil A

Re: ELAC DDP-2 - Screen Too Small - Worthless Remote
« Reply #1 on: 25 Oct 2019, 02:40 pm »
I have just received the DDP-2 and have a comment/question on it, and (in general) the new group of smaller form factor components coming to market. 

I do not understand what the intended use is for the DDP-2.  By that I mean, why send a remote when the screen is so small it cannot be read from more than 4 feet away?  I was excited about this piece and I really like a lot of the features but it is almost no use if I have to get up just to see which input I am selecting.  The whole purpose for streaming and having all the available inputs is to sit back and enjoy the tunes.

In a sad way, this seems like a major fail to me.   

What am I missing here?

Not familiar with the DDP-2 but most of those type of devices the screen is more or less intended just for set-up and input selection (I have a Hegel H190 integrated amp/DAC/Streamer in a secondary system).  It is not something for file or streaming playback that one would buy without using another software product.  For example, Roon - https://roonlabs.com/howroonworks.html   The product brochure sheets for the DDP-2 do mention Roon.  For my Hegel, I can use the Bubble UPNP app (as well as the DS Audio App that is complimentary to my Synology NAS, which I use to house my music files).  The Hegel's ethernet is limited to 192kHz and the USB is limited to less than that (the model above mine is not but in my case it is for a secondary system).  I can access my music files either via Bubble UPNP with an Android Tablet or DS Audio (tried it with my iPhone).  Since I have a bunch of DSD files, I decided to use a Windows 10 PC running JRiver with a USB to coax converter (since the USB in the H190 is limited). 

In my main system, I use a Lumin U1 music server (which reads files from my NAS) and while it has a screen I can sort of see, I control it via the Lumin App on on iPad.  I also have another Windows 10 PC music server in another secondary system running JRiver but don't need the USB to coax converter since the DAC in that system can do up to double DSD.  I have a Nuprime IDA-8 in the office system fed via my Windows 10 PC as well running JRiver (it can do quad DSD).

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #2 on: 25 Oct 2019, 02:42 pm »
I have no knowledge of this unit outside of the past few minutes looking it up on 5he web.

I would agree that is a tiny screen.  Is there a app to controll this divice?   I didnt come across a specific one for the android world.  If there is a app one would assume that would be the preferred information viewing method.

All these smart device's need at one time or another some screen to configure etc.  If there isnt a app they missed the mark.  I did see a sub app, just nothing specifically labled for the above item.

I skimmed the manual looking for app info, please dont let my wife know.

Alan

cloudbaseracer

« Reply #3 on: 25 Oct 2019, 07:21 pm »
Sorry if I was not clear. I am specifically talking about seeing the "input" from a normal listening distance.  If I want to change from Coax1 to Optical1 to RCA1 etc.  then I have to get up and walk over to the unit because the lcd is so small.  Therefore, why even have a remote?

JackD

« Reply #4 on: 25 Oct 2019, 08:08 pm »
If you have a remote in your hand then why do you need to see the screen?

aldcoll

• Champagne Taste on a Water Budget
« Reply #5 on: 26 Oct 2019, 12:08 am »
Sorry if I was not clear. I am specifically talking about seeing the "input" from a normal listening distance.  If I want to change from Coax1 to Optical1 to RCA1 etc.  then I have to get up and walk over to the unit because the lcd is so small.  Therefore, why even have a remote?
Yikes so they dropped a little light from a button got a LED with information that is small from a few feet away much less across the room.   And the Remote of App DO NOT provide to information to switch input or volume.  Sometimes is is goo for the wife to see the "SETTING" and then there are times.   

So if you have on Cloudbaseracer how big are the letters"?

Alan