"Knowing" what frequency your crossover is set to? Is it possible?

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
BTW- you do have the RS meter on a mic boom of sorts right?  Holding will not give you repeatable enough results..

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
BTW- you do have the RS meter on a mic boom of sorts right?  Holding will not give you repeatable enough results..

Yeah, I have a stand that sits right on the couch where the listening position is. I didnt realize how much work was going to go into this, I dont even know where to begin with getting the room flat. It will be interesting to see how the room looks after measurements are taken with the subs on.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
So is that the left speaker or the right speaker. We need to see each of them.

Hi Danny, this was both speakers.

Vedder323

• New Record Day

Does this reading give us any kind of a clue on where I should start with the subs or is it still too early to tell?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Does this reading give us any kind of a clue on where I should start with the subs or is it still too early to tell?

Waaay early.  See my post above.  Oh you have no idea what you just got yourself into.   :lol:   :duh:   :nono:   :o :o :o :o :o

Danny Richie

Okay there is your problem.

You can't shoot both speakers at the same time using the same signal. That just causes big peaks where the signal arrives in phase and big dips where the signals arrive out of phase.

You have to shoot them individually.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
lol, thanks guys. Well, I care about this stuff enough to educate myself and learn how to do it right so ill be headed back to the drawing board tonight and take some more measurements.

Ill do left and right with no subs then left and right with the subs.

Danny Richie

lol, thanks guys. Well, I care about this stuff enough to educate myself and learn how to do it right so ill be headed back to the drawing board tonight and take some more measurements.

Ill do left and right with no subs then left and right with the subs.

There you go. We'll help you each step of the way, and you'll have smooth sound soon.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
There you go. We'll help you each step of the way, and you'll have smooth sound soon.

Danny, when I take the measurements with the subs on, is is critical where I have the crossover and volume set?

Danny Richie

Danny, when I take the measurements with the subs on, is is critical where I have the crossover and volume set?

If you can overlay measurements then do the upper section, the sub, and then the two together. As you start looking at them that way then you can tell which way to move the sub to get the smooth balance between the two of them.

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Okay there is your problem.

You can't shoot both speakers at the same time using the same signal. That just causes big peaks where the signal arrives in phase and big dips where the signals arrive out of phase.

You have to shoot them individually.

You never measure them together?   :o

Vedder323

• New Record Day
Alright lads, as promised, both speakers have been measured individually.

Left speaker: No subwoofer.

Right speaker: No subwoofer.

So, whats next?

jtwrace

• TIPP YouTube Channel
Exactly what I expected. 

Now measure each sub woofer without the mains.  Set the crossover all the way up. 

Also, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to post a pic of the room.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
I will take the measurements of the subs tonight if I have the time.

I did take these with the subs crossover set at 50hz (about 9oclock) and the volume at 50% (12oclock)

Left

Right

Here are some photos of the room I took this morning, sorry for the crappy quality, my cells camera blows.

Front

Entrance to room

Listening position

Right speaker

Left speaker

Im also going to post these in the acoustic forums for added help.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
Danny...  oh Danny! I know you want to give Vedder323 a helping hand now dont you??? :)

Danny Richie

It looks like setting the crossover setting in the 50Hz range creates a nice balance with the mid-bass woofer. You might even come up with the level (gain) a little bit as per your preference.

Then you have a room related issue to address. You have a 40 to 50Hz peak in your room that is even there with the subs off.

The only way to control that peak is to treat the room. I'd add some thick tube traps to really soak up some of that low frequency gain and place them in the corners right behind the speakers. Not only will that take away some output but tighten up the bass as well.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
It looks like setting the crossover setting in the 50Hz range creates a nice balance with the mid-bass woofer. You might even come up with the level (gain) a little bit as per your preference.

Then you have a room related issue to address. You have a 40 to 50Hz peak in your room that is even there with the subs off.

The only way to control that peak is to treat the room. I'd add some thick tube traps to really soak up some of that low frequency gain and place them in the corners right behind the speakers. Not only will that take away some output but tighten up the bass as well.

Thanks Danny.

What about the drop between 65-120? Do you think the bass traps might bring that up a bit?

Danny Richie

Thanks Danny.

What about the drop between 65-120? Do you think the bass traps might bring that up a bit?

You can just turn the gain up some and it will fill that in.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
You can just turn the gain up some and it will fill that in.

I assume you mean the gain on the sub as you suggested in your previous post? Ill give that a shot.

Im thinking about ordering 4 244's from Glen at Giks...  Ill start with placing 2 of them right behind the speakers and the other 2 on the back wall behind my head.

Vedder323

• New Record Day
Took some more measurements tonight after playing around with some different placements. I was shocked out how much things changed with a little work. It seems to me that im headed in the right direction?

Left speaker

Right speaker